1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Pacers are trying to stay alive, taking on Brunson and the Knicks in Game 6. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Not excited about draft night at all

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Jun 23, 2015.

1. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I cant wait for the draft. I cant take anymore golf or baseball. I go crazy every year at this time.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sounds like a YOU problem

3. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Don't get me wrong, I believe in buidling for the future and making moves to improve the team. However, our wining an NBA Championship is predicated on the current players improving (free throws, improving overall offensive game), not the guys drafted on Thursday evening. We watched a team of 6'7"'s and below, win an NBA championship. Why because there wasn't a skilled big man that could dominate and punish them in the paint. Then when tried to match up, there players where better skilled at sharing the ball and hitting shots. Both are additional areas besides free throws that we need to improve upon regardless of who we draft.

I don't see the 18th pick and 32nd pick making a tremendous impact right now, maybe 2 or 3 years down the road. Then hopefully somebody decides to over pay them (Chandler, PBev maybe).

BTW, Rockets fan for Life!! Just expect more from those players that we invest so much of our salary cap into.

4. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the last time we had big draft day trades it was for eddie griffin or shane battier…..so i'm hoping we stay quiet actually

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bad free throw shooters can't win rings

Signed,
    Shaq and Wilt

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

This year the Rockets are on another level, so I agree in the sense that I don't see any rookie out there that can just walk on the team and take someone else's roster spot while adding positive minutes to our rotation.

But you never know. Look what happened with Capella! We just won't find out about our draftee's potential until January and maybe even April, as it was with Clint. At this point, Thursday night should only be a big night for the RGV fans out there.

7. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Wow. I love the draft. Even if we had no picks at all, it's one of my favorite days of the year. As a huge NBA fan, but mostly casual college fan, for me it's an introduction to a bunch of players that will be integral in my fandom for years to come. I can't imagine not being excited for the draft.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Our winning an NBA championship is predicated on our team being somewhat healthy. We just saw a team of 6'7 and below players win a fluke NBA championship because they played nothing but teams crippled by injury. You really shouldn't take too much from that, there's no way they'll be that lucky again.

If the Rockets have Bev and DMo healthy, there's a very good chance they beat the Dubs and what was left of the Cavs.

9. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Easy to blame FT shooting, but our defense was also pretty atrocious. I was rewatching games from the Clips series a few days ago, and yikes. Even Game 7 -- where it seemed like we played really, really well at the time -- looking back at it, we got a TON of breaks because the Clips just weren't playing well at all. We started the season as such a strong defensive team, and I still can't pinpoint exactly how/why it went downhill after the new year.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

I guess you forgot about DMo? :rolleyes: Also while fts had a role the bad D had an even bigger role to the Rox losing 3-1, this is why you should get excited for draft night Im sure the Rox wont stand pat.

11. hookem89

hookem89 Member

I disagree. The Warriors were simply a better team. We were gassed after that Clippers series, and we were missing two starters.

For the entire series, the two team's respective FT%s were roughly equal.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/2015-nba-western-conference-finals-rockets-vs-warriors.html

If we can find a solid player to contribute 15-20mpg (as a backup PG or C), we will be much improved. Terry was good at times, but struggled on D. Dorsey sucks.

12. i3artow i3aller

Ehh, I'm actually stoked 4 draft night.
    [​IMG]

13. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I don't know, I thought the moment we had a Gay/Head draft was at very least funny until the trade was announced.

14. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

This.

....funny enough - I also rewatched a few Clips games last week and can vouch for Houston being far too inconsistent defensively. The only reason Houston didn't get farther in the playoffs is because they couldn't muster the killer defense for more than a quarter or two at a time in the playoffs and that kills you against teams who don't make a lot of mistakes. Ariza and Dwight were the only guys who played pretty much complete defensive games(and Dwight had to pick and choose his moments to contest I assume because of concerns with fouls).

Harden had a few ball watching/lose your man moments, the PFs were late in their defensive decision making, Jet/Prigs were only going to provide so much defensive support given their age in a young man's game. Hopefully Houston can learn a thing or two from Golden State's tight defensive rotations.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Please tell us everything you are or are not excited about.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

How can you not be excited with all the reported moving up and down? :

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Don't be surprised if there are a number of draft-day deals. I keep hearing that many teams are seriously considering moving up or down.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/613403487481798656">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources say 76ers and Blazers have discussed a deal that would give Philly #23 pick in exchange for #35 and #37 picks (and possibly more).</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/613409661576941569">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">League sources say Pacers and Hawks had exploratory talks about swapping #11 pick and #15 pick. I'm not sure what else would be included.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/613409780225441792">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thunder may try to move up for someone specific, or they may move down if the guys they want are off the board by #14. Depends what happens.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/613409907858083840">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I've heard the Celtics, Bucks and Hawks are considering moving up. Pelicans may try to buy first-rounder. Clippers want to acquire a pick.</p>&mdash; Alex Kennedy (@AlexKennedyNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlexKennedyNBA/status/613410465373384706">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Celtics president Danny Ainge predicts a lot of movement on night of NBA Draft (Thursday): &quot;Stay tuned.&quot;</p>&mdash; Sam Amico (@SamAmicoFSO) <a href="https://twitter.com/SamAmicoFSO/status/613356505199415296">June 23, 2015</a></blockquote>

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I hope Alex Kennedy doesn't make money from this stuff. "Teams may look to move up or down." ORLY? Thnx Mr Alex.

18. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Next year's draft will probably bore you even more when the Rockets have the last pick in the first round. ;)

19. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Good point on the teams the Dubs beat with health issues.

20. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

Hook, don't look at the free throw percentage look at the significant number of free throws we took vs. Dubs.