1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a single thread about Jonathan Gruber?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bmd, Nov 15, 2014.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well there's simply no defending it, it's good of them to not try.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

The author of the law they spent years defending is calling them stupid, gullible sheep. What could their comment possibly be (of course it would be Bush comment)?

#42 tallanvor, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

So you admit Obama lied and then try to justify it with a lie that medial inflation has slowed???

4. cml750

cml750 Member

Very true! I started a thread when Obamacare first made the price of my healthcare go up and was ridiculed by the leftist on this site saying I was lying. The truth hurts!!!

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Telling how? Der Grubers general sentiment that the American public is too dumb to engage in a sophisticated conversation about a complex problem like health care is isn't really even arguable.

It's how you get absurd situationso like the aspiring Senate Majority leader saying he's going to repeal Obamacare but is petrified of doing the same with wildly popular program KYnect, aka Obamacare for deep red Kentucky.

I hopened what it's "telling" you is that I agree with him. Do you disagree?

Fair warning, I will interpret your silence as "telling"

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Lefty here: politics is messy, no one ever says what they mean or means what they say, they use duplicitous means to achieve an end. Contortions of language to make appearance politically palatable is the SOP. I wish it could have been done with straightforward language but it couldn't.

But before you get all holier-than-thou remember the main GOP criticism of the Clinton Healthcare Plan was that it didn't include mandates. It's strange how the perspectives changed.

This gets people a taste of healthcare insurance and most people recognize that it is necessary and should be a national priority. When the GOP gets it thrown out, the response will be a call for a single payer system like everyone else in the developed world.

Selfishly, I hope it takes a couple of years to stretch until I am 65.

8. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

What it should be telling you is that Gruber is nothing more than a dog-whistle for Fox "News" viewers to get outraged about. The plain fact is that the ACA is working and as a result, the right is reduced to b****ing about how the law was passed.

9. GladiatoRowdy

While I agree that there were plenty of political games played in the passage of the ACA, the only reason this is a topic is because the right have no ground to attack the actual law itself. Thus, they are reduced to whining about the process.

10. GladiatoRowdy

Medical inflation has slowed, please look at the numbers and stop watching Fox, they're lying to you as much or more than Obama ever has.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

There is now a thread about Gruber.

Mods, please delete this thread.

12. GladiatoRowdy

I doubt anyone actually said you were lying about your specific costs. However, it was almost certainly pointed out that for the American people in the aggregate, medical inflation has slowed dramatically, millions more have health insurance, and millions of people whose costs did go up saw such increases because their previous policies were substandard.

The truth hurts, which is probably why you whine about it so much.

13. basso

Supporting Member

The Obama administration included as many as 400,000 dental plans in a number it reported for enrollments under the Affordable Care Act, an unpublicized detail that helped surpass a goal for 7 million sign-ups.​

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...-rolls-include-unpublicized-dental-plans.html

14. GladiatoRowdy

And even if you exclude those people, the enrollment goal was still surpassed by a half million or more.

15. basso

Supporting Member

False.

16. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Gruber is really refletive of Obama's Administration and that very 'government knows best' group we have in power.

It is that Americans are too stupid to make decisions about how they eat, how they live and how they make decisions to buy products and sell products. They also believe Americans are too stupid to know when they're being taken advantage of at work and how to choose healthcare and how to save for retirement.

They just believe Americans are too stupid, so the elite, very intelligent government lawyers must make those decisions for you.

That is not what America is about. America gives people the opportunity to succeed and the opportunity to fail and the best rise above the rest. I believe in the American dream; ironically Barack Obama is a prime example of a guy that came from nothing to be President yet continually says the system is unfair.

I simply disagree with this mind of thinking and don't need academicians and people so separated from reality with so much damn hubris that they believe they know what is best for everyone as opposed to letting people make their own choices in life.

17. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

And ultimately the societies that let people succeed and fail rise over time.
    If the US gives up that position, we are sewing our seeds towards being a weak industrial nation.

18. GladiatoRowdy

Link? Or is it just something that "everyone knows"?

19. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

It's something everyone knows including super liberal ezra klein

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This is such a dumb, unforced error by the Obama administration: <a href="http://t.co/N1VuxJjUu6">http://t.co/N1VuxJjUu6</a></p>&mdash; Ezra Klein (@ezraklein) <a href="https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/535490794787180546">November 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

the goal was 7 million without dental plans its 6.7 million

20. GladiatoRowdy

Gruber is a distraction from the plain fact that by most objective measures, the ACA is having a positive impact for Americans.

Have you seen the obesity and diabetes rates in this country? At any rate, I haven't seen that many proposals for hardcore regulation of poor eating habits, Americans are free to choose what they put in their bodies (with the exception of intoxicants).

Are you living in a different country than I am? Aside from some truly misguided regulation (prohibition), I am free to purchase as much of nearly anything that I want. Perhaps you could give me some examples of things I might need that I can't acquire in the open markets that flourish nationwide.

Actually, it is more about the power that employers wield. Employees who are taken advantage of (as employers have done throughout recorded history) may not have the freedom to just leave their employer and choose another. That is the point of almost all employment law and every single bit of it has been created to correct abusive practices.

Many don't have choice and millions didn't even have the ability to choose insurance before the ACA (people with preexisting conditions). Millions of others couldn't afford to "choose healthcare" at all, and yet millions more remain uncovered because of the intransigence of Republican governors, to their citizens' detriment.

Before Social Security was created, then expanded, the single biggest demographic among the homeless and those living in poverty was the elderly.

Of course, everyone is completely free to save for their own retirement, to supplement the basic subsistence that SS affords. Can you point to any undue restrictions on your freedom to save for retirement?

Actually, most decisions that were made by the ACA affected insurance companies, aside from the mandate. I would argue that everyone who might someday use our healthcare system should be insured. Since it would (in your view, presumably) be an egregious overreach to implement single payer, a mandate was the only way to ensure that everyone pays their share when it comes to their healthcare.

Actually, it is. Everyone should pay their fair share.

I don't see how you have shown that any regulation has removed this opportunity to succeed or fail from Americans. The ACA actually gives more people that freedom since insurance doesn't have to be tied to one's employment.

The system is unfair in important ways. I know you believe this, you seem to think that Obama is making the system more and more "unfair" every day.

What we should be doing is arguing about how to make it better. Sadly, you want to b**** about Democrats lying when Republicans told dramatically more lies about the ACA in the lead up to its passage.

You seem to disagree with thinking altogether.

Anti-science, check.

Quoth the pot.

To what choices do you refer?

The choice to freeload rather than paying your share with regards to your own healthcare?

I really would like to know what grand freedoms have been removed under Obama. I can't say as I feel any more restricted than I did under Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan, Carter, Ford, or Nixon.

#60 GladiatoRowdy, Nov 20, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014