1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a forgone conclusion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, May 8, 2020.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Imagine how easy our offense is to understand by those with their eyes open :rolleyes:

D-rock likes this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

League can’t stop Harden from getting 36 points a game and Westbrook 30 points a game. Imagine if we
    had a JJ Redick, Ray Allen or Korver (in their youth) to go with them.

If our shooters aren’t good enough......then get better shooters. Defense can’t get worse.
    Somewhere around 2nd rated offense isn’t good enough for you? 118.1 pts a game ranked 2nd
    in the NBA as the season was suspended.

As I said Harden and Westbrook will not want to change this offense.....they run the team not you!!

#22 ApacheWarrior, May 9, 2020
    Last edited: May 9, 2020
    DeBeards likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Harden and Westbrook getting 70 pts between them is irrelevant. Its about the other guys.

Better shooters would no doubt help us. I am sure every attempt is made to do that. If it isnt, then lets go home now.

Any offense that is simple and predictable can and will be undermined.

When the f#ck did I lay claim to running the team? WTF?

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Green Bay Packers won championships with Bart Starr and Paul Hornung running sweep right, sweep left, run up the middle.
    Doesn’t get more simpler than that. They told teams stop us if you can!! Until then we are going to sweep you off the
    field or cram it down your throat up the middle.

Teams can’t stop Harden/Westbrook (the facilitators) as they sweep right, sweep left or jam it down their throats....kick out
    if paint clogged. Thus the need for shooters. When Eric Gordon is on forget about it. Rockets can be unstoppable,
    unfortunately Gordon has not shot well this season.

When you are 2nd in points per game and 2nd in ORtg in the NBA, you don’t fix what isn’t broke dummy.
    Just improve on it stupid. Harden and Westbrook are not going to decrease their points per game and team
    ORtg/ pts per game just so some dummy can see more ball movement. Go from team scoring 118 points a game
    to 114. Idea is to go forward not backwards. Dummy. Packers won with sweeping because it was
    relatively new....so is the Rockets small ball scheme run by two former MVP’s. Not Changing!!

Keep dreaming!!

DeBeards likes this.
  5. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I would keep MDA if next season starts in December and they have like a month, or six weeks off to prepare.

D-rock and Nook like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

With Harden and WB we should be dominating... we should be shoving it down other teams throats with authority!
    Could the supporting staff be better? sure... but PJ, Roco, Ego, Rivers, Green, DeMarre isnt a bad lot....

We are just poorly run... misplaced priorities...

How much better is our offense gonna get? really i would say our greatest opportunity to improve our offense is to stop chucking long range shots when they aint falling... but theres not huge areas to improve upon...
    Otoh our defense and rebounding sucks - thats the area where we can improve our overall performance vastly... but how much of our resources are we devoting to those focuses? PJ? and making him work at a severe size disadvantage many nights...

Additionally we fall into ruts - and just keep on with business as usual.... This whole philosophy of we've determined the best mathematical algorithm and thats what we're gonna do - whether its working or not is just stupid... Yes, yes, I know 3>2... but when ur shooting 20% or whatever from the arc on any given night is that really the best way to proceed - just hoping the law of averages eventually kicks in?

/rant... lol

7. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Ugh. Van Gundy and Thibodeaux are the alternatives? I love JVG personality-wise, but those two guys were responsible for some of the ugliest offenses I've seen on the Rockets. I'm not sure if taking the current team, and making them run slow-down, Knicks-style bully ball is the best way for this group to win.

What, are we going to bring back Rick Brunson and Clarence Weatherspoon too? I heard Charlie Ward is still a free agent.

34to11 and D-rock like this.
  8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The thing to keep in mind is that all the "rumors" so far are national. There are a lot of known connections between JVG/Thibs and the Rockets, which leads to a lot of speculation in the agent community. And this is definitely a "high-profile" job, and those are perhaps the two highest-profile candidates, so people connect the dots.

If there's one thing we should know about the Rockets under Morey, it's that they cast an extremely wide net and value talking to everyone. In 2016, if it was truly 100% Morey's call, I still think he might have hired Stephen Silas — and that's a guy who wasn't even remotely on the radar for anyone going into the search.

Long story short: If there is a vacancy, which I'm not completely convinced there will be at this point, I wouldn't assume that they've zeroed in on anybody this early.

D-rock likes this.