1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a fan of "the Cloud".

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ubiquitin, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have been thinking about various cloud services since the recent thread about photo storage. I inherently do not trust it. I do not believe in the security, privacy, or long term repercussions of trading away your data.

I liked the way it was before the cloud... back when the computer was the hub and everything else was just an accessory instead of their own independent platforms.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You could always run your own cloud with a home server if you don't trust 3rd parties.

3. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

So what your saying is... You didn't like "the fappening"

Anyone with a brain knows better than to have their pictures automatically uploaded on a cloud.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I am a fan of the cloud.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

People act like the "have" to use the cloud.

You don't... continue to use your computer as a backup if you want... but if you want a backup for the backup, the Cloud is there.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

You could join the Cloud Appreciation Society.

7. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8 people like this.
  8. Mr. Clutch

I get a text notification everytime my cloud is accessed.

9. Mr. Clutch

/Thread

10. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

Nobody understands the cloud ..... Literally like nobody .....

11. BleedsRocketRed

#GOLD

12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I dont follow the security and privacy argument. If the device is connected to the internet in any form or fashion, your security and privacy are compromised. Unless you have sensitive information, you really dont have to worry about much.

13. The Hunted

The Hunted Member

Damn, beat me to it.

14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Is The Cloud like The Mist? :confused:

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I love how Online Storage (been around since beginning of internet) became "The Cloud" and now it's all hip and cool. Stupid tech buzzwords.

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Cloud storage is just an efficient way of backing up information while giving you near universal accessibility (anywhere with an internet connection). If you're uncomfortable with that, I'd recommend buying an external hard drive.

As for trading away your data, you've already largely done that. If you use any social media, you've traded away most of what is valuable. If you use email services, you've exposed far more valuable information than what the average person puts on a cloud storage service.

Plus today, companies are creating ecosystems that extend beyond cloud storage. You have surrendered so much more than just the information that you put into Cloud storage. What is important is that you are always cognizant of what you post online and ensure that you are aware of how companies are collecting your information.

Social media is probably far worse than cloud storage. That to me is the one element of your digital presence that is the most dangerous. I personally stay away from most social media but at some point all of us have to come to peace with the reality of modern data collection. Its not something you can run away from. You can only educate yourself and ensure that others around you are also responsibly managing their information and privacy.