1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Not a Dodge] Caravan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Astrodome, Oct 24, 2018.

?

What are your thoughts on the Honduran caravan?

1. Let them all in

3.4%
  2. Let the non criminals in

6.8%
  3. Let all but the middle easterners in

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Thoughts and prayers

15.3%
  5. Case by case admittance

57.6%
  6. Turn them around at our border

15.3%
  7. Funded by the dems

6.8%
  8. Funded by the repugs

5.1%
  9. Hopefully our border agents dont catch diseases

6.8%
  10. Build a wall/call in national guard

23.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Throwing rocks isn't trying to get into the United States. Climbing fences is either an attempt to sneak in, or it isn't really trying to get in at all either.

They weren't going to go a legal point of entry and climb the fence hoping to get in. You don't believe that do you?

The fact is that they came to do it the right and legal way. The rules were changed on them once they arrived when supposedly there was an agreement for them to stay in Mexico while they awaited their cases to be decided. Then apparently there wasn't that agreement. Right?

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You guys go on and on and on about how dangerous it is in Mexico then you complain that they don't want asylum in Mexico? What?

#322 CometsWin, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Nook, superfob and FranchiseBlade like this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Great point.

CometsWin likes this.
  4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Just so you know it was a minority of those in the caravan that did those things. I know that the media would hope you believe that it was all of them, but it wasn't.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

What are you even talking about.

The media doesn't show it at all hahahaha. Are you out of your mind. There's only poor peaceful innocent mothers who take their children on 'marches' across countries. No fighting aged male criminals there at all.

Dude. Let it go. I'm not replying to you again on this subject because your indoctrination is astounding.

dachuda86 likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I don't care whether or not you reply. I'm pointing out the truth. If you would like to claim that it was the majority of the caravan doing that, then that is false. I'm simply discussing facts.

You aren't making sense. Why would criminals want to travel with a group of conspicuous people walking slowly for thousands of miles by foot being filmed and photographed the whole way? Any criminal who chooses to do that isn't one that's going to manage to outsmart law enforcement. LOL.

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Ok, I'll bite. You haven't had enough yet.

First, you accused me of using a term you yourself used.

Proved to be fake news. No rebuttal on being called out.

And just now, you accused me of claiming something I did not say, or even infer.

More fake news. I'm calling you out again. Start backtracking.

Do you see where I'm going with this? You are so delusional to claim I don't make sense, when you can't even keep track of your own points, let alone what is even being discussed.

Homeland Security have said there are over 500 known criminals travelling with the caravan.

You are making a fool of yourself.

dachuda86 likes this.
  8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Which part was sarcastic -- you blaming the caravan for not waiting in line or you saying you would be rejected if you tried to apply for asylum? Are you sure you know what sarcasm is, mate?

You clear don't know what the law is in this country. Nor do you seem to know anything about how intent fits in with committing crimes.

10/10 will subscribe to your media is to blame theories now. :D

Nook and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not liking the rules isn't an excuse for breaking the law. Throwing rocks is arguably a felony and attempting to enter the country illegally is a misdemeanor. All of those you saw have tear gas used on them were guilty of one or both. Now that's not everyone in the caravan, but everyone in the caravan is in Mexico illegally after they broke down the fence at a point of entry.

Also, it's weird saying that people who are largely not legitimate asylum seekers (according to MSNBC when they asked them) are here to get in the right way by claiming asylum being that if they showed back up for court nearly everyone in the caravan would be deported back to their home country. Is that what we're really supposed to believe they are doing?

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Oh! Are you calling me out? LOL. I'm not trying to claim you were using words you weren't using. I must have misunderstood the ideas you were trying to make. You may not have been understanding me either.

Nothing I said is fake news because I'm not a reporter.

So what I said is that if there are criminals in that caravan we don't need to worry about them because they are idiots. They have taken the time to walk thousands of miles on foot to a legal point of entry surrounded and stationed with border agents around the clock with a ton of people who are trying to seek asylum. Those aren't the kinds of criminals that will get around law enforcement.

You mentioned people from the caravan throwing rocks and climbing on fences. Those were words that you used.

I factually pointed out that it was only a minority of the caravan that did that. That is a fact. I can't imagine anyone would argue against that.

I pointed out that if they were climbing the fence to try and get in, that is trying to sneak in which you have said isn't something you were ever claiming. So you may not have used the word sneak but if people are trying to climb the wall to get in illegally that is, in fact, trying to sneak in. I also pointed out that throwing rocks and border patrol isn't an attempt to try and get inside the United States illegally.

I pointed all of that out because you claimed they were trying to get inside the United States illegally and used throwing rocks and climbing fences to back your claim.

I don't know if that will clear up some of the misunderstandings we've been having. I'm doubtful but I can hope.

So here are some facts.

1. If these folks wanted to illegally enter the U.S. they could have found rides, stopped shy of the border, moved to remote locations and tried to sneak in. They could have tried to enter as tourists and then attempt to stay here without being caught. They could have found money to pay a coyote to help them sneak into the country.

All of those ways are better and more likely to succeed than the alternative that these people have been doing which is...

2. They walked on foot for thousands of miles to a legal well-guarded point of entry that is manned by border patrol agents at all times. They did this under the watchful eye of the media and the United States government. They weren't hiding or pretending to be doing something else.

3. Once they were close the border the government announced that they changed the rules on these people. They said that they had a deal not to let them into the United States until their asylum cases had been decided. That put the idea of asylum in question since the law requires they be on American soil to apply for asylum.

4. A minority of the people in the caravan caused a commotion at the border crossing.

11. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

They could be fitted with tracking devices and almost everyone that has that done shows up to their hearing.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, that could happen and then you could end up with a bill for deporting nearly all of them that show up for those hearings back to their home countries once the process determines that they are economic migrants and not legitimate asylum seekers. We could do that, or they could just be made to stay in Mexico until their claim is processed and any that qualify could then enter and the rest would be Mexico's problem for allowing them to break into their country to begin with, which would work as a disincentive for future "caravans" and might encourage Mexico to beef up their southern border.

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

For Mexico to agree to that we would probably have to have a bigger payout than the deportation bill.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure if it was some kind of agreement, but the way things are now it wouldn't really require them to agree to anything, right now those people are Mexico's problem and there's nothing Mexico could do to make them our problem so they are stuck with them till we say otherwise. Mexico was foolish enough to not reinforce their southern border and allowed the "caravan" to break in, not the US.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The journey is a long and dangerous one, so choosing to join a caravan and then figuring out how to gain entry when close to the border seems like a plan many of them very well could have had. If they are allowed entry by the border control, well and good. If not, they could still try to slip in some other way. These are mostly desperate people -- I wouldn't assume that just because they joined a caravan the plan for most of them was to do everything by the book. They are just trying something and hoping somehow they can get into the US and make a better life for themselves -- without papers if need be.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ok, it's not 30 years, it's 25 years. So here's the question, if an economy is less than what it was 25 years ago, do you see that as a success?

If the US was to revert back to the GDP of 1995, it would be considered a depression of historic proportions.

17. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Well when you have a large population, a small island with limited resources, yeah it is actually a miracle they have done what they have done. You are thinking like an ignorant day trader who only sees things in terms of line graphs and profit. Or more over like a share holder in some company. Countries aren't so easy. There is a lot going on to affect the people. That said, they are largely being affected by the macroeconomics of the global economy too. They aren't the only country making electronics and automobiles to boost their economy. They got away with it in the past, but competition from countries like South Korea, China, and other rising economies are eating into this aged strategy. Pumping more people into a country with rising poverty and a high population isn't a solution. Less people in the market actually is good for wages and will lift people out of poverty. Not flooding the market, and raising the cost of living and damaging wages.

18. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

The only thing is that traveling with that group for that long people would get to know you. So it isn't as easy to just slip off. Hitchhiking, taking a bus, trading work for a ride, etc. would all be much quicker than walking thousands of miles by foot and without the notice that comes from traveling with one of the most conspicuous groups of people in the entire world.

I don't doubt that some are willing to try and get in without papers. Even that is different than planning to come over here to be a master criminal. Like I said before, if every single one of the caravan members illegally got inside the United States, the impact on almost everyone would be zero. Of course, it's against the law and nobody should enter the country illegally. The reason I make the point is that the problem like 4 peas. But the money and worry and concern people are throwing at the problem is like the cost of a Michelin Star restaurant. I don't think Michelin star price is fair to pay for 4 peas.

19. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

[​IMG]

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they were traveling by themselves, they'd have to pay for everything themselves. When they travel with the caravan, the whole thing is funded by outside sources....that's a huge incentive to join. On top of that, a person by themselves wouldn't have been able to storm the border crossing and knock down the fence to get into Mexico to begin with, they'd have had to rely on other means to get in. The plan all along was strength in numbers and they were hoping to do the same to the American border, it just didn't work.

When it comes to the fate of the caravan, you are setting precedent here. If you allow it to succeed, you can bet on the same king of thing happening over and over again. If it fails, maybe not so much. If they get stuck in Mexico for months only to have their applications for asylum rejected, that would put a halt to future caravans.