1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Northwest Mall - the saddest mall in the world

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TMac'n, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

It's a prime location to do something there. They should tear it down and build outlets or something. I usually go to Memorial, Willowbrook or Deerbrook when it comes to malls but Deerbrook gets more packed than ever now. A buddy of mine who works in Real Estate told me the Alamo Drafthouse people have inquired about the area.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Yeah, NW was never one of the top malls, but back in the 90's it was much better. I spent the mid-late 90's in the Timbergrove area, and I went there on the regular. They had most of the mall fare that a teenager would enjoy and Soundwaves was in the parking lot just outside.

I also went there to pick up a pair of shoes a few months back, not having been there in years, and depressing was the perfect word to use, a whole wing was completely empty.

3. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

Well, according to the Texas Monthly article, there are plans to either NW Mall into a mixed use redevelopment called "Post Oak Market" or the hub for the 200 mph Train between Houston & Dallas

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/scenes-inside-houston-zombie-mall/

If it turned into a mixed use similar to City Center, then this is prime time to invest in cheap real estate around there. Especially those homes in Spring Branch south of Hempstead Hwy, in between Antoine and 610.

But nothing will be decided until either 290 is finished or the train project is determined

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like a great location for a high speed rail station.

JuanValdez likes this.
  5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Is that big antique center still kind of next to it?

6. Mr. Motiejunas

That place is so ghetto now. They sell alcohol brownies in the food court.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  7. MystikArkitect

The shopping mall concept itself is dying. River Oaks Center here or the Domain in Austin are what we need to be moving to. Giant chain anchor stores just aren't dealing with the times well.

Northwest, Almeda, Pasadena, Greenspoint and West Oaks are like that scene in Cars when they remember the cars having to travel through their town.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. jsingles

jsingles Member

Last time I was in NW Mall was '03 or '04, bought Rainbow Six 3 for the original Xbox. Even then I thought the place was ancient. I've always wanted to go back just to see what it looks like now.

As another poster mentioned, the movie theater and arcade at Willowbrook 20+ years ago was tops.

9. TMac'n

Aladdins Castle, next to the old movie theater at Willowbrook. Used to have 4 player TMNT, X-Men, the Simpson's, etc. Had the best arcades.

Also had a hologram game made by Sega that was awesome for 90s

They turned it into the public restroom BTW. If you don't believe me go check for yourself

jsingles likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Greenpoint was it for me. I use to live on some trailer park behind bally total fitness when I was 14. On the weekend we would just walk to the mall and play marvel vs Capcom at the arcade. My friends started breaking into the coin safe with a screwdriver then we got banned.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  11. jsingles

jsingles Member

Those 3 arcades are the best ever made. Throw in Double Dragon and Final Fight and that is an entire day's worth of entertainment.

TMac'n likes this.
  12. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Westwood. /endof.

13. TMac'n

I had Final Fight for SNES. Beat it one time and was super tough, but hated how you couldn't play 2 player or as Guy on the SNES version

Capcom and Konami used to rule the gaming universe back then.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I went there when I was a little kid with my family. Then I maybe went one time when I was in high school and thought it was sad then. I didn't realize it was still open.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Medium-sized malls are like dinosaurs heading towards extinction. Even my wife shops online now.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I heard Disney is investigating the land along with the old Malibu Castle just a little down the road.

But seriously, we had a lot of dinners at El Chico's and the food court when I was kid. I still remember the horror of the first Orange Julius we ever obtained. Spent a lot of time at Waldenbooks/B Dalton/Toy Store, and of course the Gold Mine....

Nook likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

When/if they ever build that superduper train from Houston to Dallas then that place could do well again.

I know the common thought is that malls are ancient and are basically all dying, but there's still hope for Northwest Mall if that rail happens and if it gets a Baybrook-like facelift.

18. Buck Turgidson

Does WestOaks Mall still exist?

I was more of a Town and Country, Memorial City kid, until I was a teenager.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It might still exist. Not sure. Only went once in my life, I think.

The only mall I've been to in the past few years is Memorial City Mall (and Cypress outlets if that counts). Have been maybe 5-6 times in those few years and it is always packed.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This might really be the future.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]