1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

North Carolina Restaurant Offering a 15% "Praying In Public" Discount Has People All Pissed Off

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by i3artow i3aller, Aug 5, 2014.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Maybe at home (which is where we have done it when I was a child, our neighbors did a lot more of it), I (fortunately) rarely see it in restaurants. And if one has to do it there, why not pray silently, or at least in a manner that doesn't force one's religious exercise upon others? I don't mind seeing people hold hands and close their eyes for a few moments, or mumbling something to themselves. But if someone were to spend minutes loudly reciting prayers, or even getting on the floor and bowing to wherever, I would feel disturbed.

2. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

It is amazing the intense hangup you have with people from the Middle East.

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I agree with you, I'd feel mildly annoyed as well. However, I think most folks pray silently/quietly when in public.

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Well basically they are. In my opinion there is no difference between giving one group a discount versus letting another group pay more.
    IMHO there is no difference between the following 2 scenarios
    Non prayers pay 1 dollar, and people that pray get a 10% discount and pay 0.9 dollar
    Vs
    People that pray pay 0.9 dollar and people that do not pray have to pay 0.1 dollar extra and pay 1 dollar.

It is exactly the same.

Indeed, it is clearly a way to try and make more money, just as the Christian god intended religion to be, a money maker.

Indeed somebody does not really understand the message of Jesus they told in the bible.

It would be so cool if somebody tried that.

I am not sure I really care about this all. On one hand it is clearly religious discrimination and if more restaurants are starting to do this I might start to care. On the other hand who cares for some restaurant, I will just not eat there (granted I ever go to NC and actually remember this, which i seriously doubt).

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I actually don't have any hangup with people from the Middle East whatsoever. The behavior I described could come from an Eskimo and I would feel the same way about it.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

So non-Christians is fine :)

If the bill is large enough, I might just consider it.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Seriously? I haven't seen a single instance of "rage" or even "outrage" at this practice (went back through the thread and saw Deckard's over the top commentary, but even that is pretty mild for "outrage" and certainly doesn't look like "rage").

If this business wants to give discounts, that is certainly their prerogative and I haven't heard so much as a single person express anything approaching outrage over it. That is, except for the Fox hosts who keep claiming that liberals and atheists are outraged, without any evidence of such.

And bigpuffery just parrots those guys.

8. GladiatoRowdy

This is accurate.

9. GladiatoRowdy

That's because you're asking for the impossible. :D

10. arno_ed

Agreed. Unfortunatly the left does the same.

I hate these "scandals". Something happens that nobody cares about except for 1 twitterer and suddenly a news organisation picks that up and start reporting on the outrage.

It is creating news in order to make money. Our media is really messed up.

11. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

If you're praying in order to get a discount where you normally wouldn't, that seems.... really weird, if not wrong.

And...

If a restaurant thinks you should pray before you eat their food, it seems a risky proposition to eat their food.

That said, if you normally pray openly at a meal, and the owner decides to discount your meal for your piety, what do I care. Now, advertising it as a selling point, that also seems weird, if not wrong, but whatever.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Example, please.

13. arno_ed

I do not have an example by hand, but I have seen enough examples in the past (please note that I am about as left as you can get, basically the more right winged Dutch parties are still on the left of your Democrates and i vote for the left winged parties here).

Have you really not seen MSNBC or another left winged news outlet do this cheap trick of inventing news were there is none to sell papers (or get hits for the more modern clutchfans among us)?

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I don't watch MSNBC. And actually don't know anyone that does.

15. GladiatoRowdy

I don't either, but I saw a report recently showing that Democrats are talking about impeachment FAR more than Republicans in order to whip up their base to donate to the party. This would be an example from the left.

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I guess. But it's not like you don't have prominent conservatives, like a certain bimbo from Alaska, constantly talking about impeachment. I'm talking about taking a complete non-issue, attributing to a group some sort of outrage that isn't there, and then being outraged by the outrage that isn't even there. Like the safari cheerleader. Or Miley Cyrus.

17. arno_ed

No me neither, but I have seen those fake outrages on the Daily show. But I do have to agree that it is sad that Fox is such a popular channel (I really cannot say News). We have a similar problem the most popular dutch "newspaper" is just terrible, extremely biased and using the scare tactic to sell papers.

GladiatoRowdy gave a good example.

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pray for impeachment gets an additional 10% discount ?

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What is the difference between saying Grace in a conversational tone and talking about any subject that may be forced upon you that you don't want to hear - politics, sports, relationships, etc.?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't see the big deal in a proprietor handing out discounts for whatever. I think it's unfortunate it got publicity because it's a nicer gesture when people don't know about it. If I was Mary, I'd phase it out now.