1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

North Carolina Becomes First State To Eliminate Unemployment Benefits

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/n...-state-to-eliminate-unemployment-benefits.php

All this over 21 dollars per employee per year? That is less than one company expended meal for an employee.

2. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

Austerity did just fine in Europe

3. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Wonder how conservatives will defend this one?

4. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

The title is misleading. They still have employment benefits, just not federal benefits. They still have the state benefits and it has been lowered to the point that its around the same amount as the other states around it. The Federal Government pulled their benefits after NC lowered the weekly state benefit.

I'm wondering why Congress didn't extend North Carolina an exemption like that did with Pennsylvania, Indiana, Arkansas and Rhode Island - That should've happened. Its a sad situation, but at least North Carolina did raise business taxes to help with their massive debt problem.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

While I feel for a blue collar worker losing his job in his 50s, getting unemployment benefits for over 2 years is long enough. Need to take those lesser jobs.

6. Major

Major Member

I tend to agree - this seems like an example of policy gone wrong. NC's decision was silly in practical terms, because it's going to cost NC more money than otherwise with all the new people needing social services and all the federal money that won't be coming into the state. But that said, they are basically being penalized simply for having started with higher benefits than other states and now going to more normal levels.

7. otis thorpe

otis thorpe Member

I tend to agree also.

8. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

yeah, NC has themselves in a huge mess. They have one of the worst state debt levels in the country, and one of the worst unemployment levels. I think they acted too soon on the assumption that they'd get the same exemption the other states received, and now its backfired.