1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NOOO!] ESPN to broadcast BCS games in 2011

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DreamRoxCoogFan, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DreamRoxCoogFan

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3710477

sucks. I mean I have ESPN, but I think that championship games and the like should be on regular TV. I wasn't too happy when MNF moved to ESPN from ABC but hey, what can you do? Pretty soon the Superbowl will only be on pay-per-view :rolleyes:

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Frankly, I'm just glad they're not on Fox anymore. Fox does no regular season football. What business do they have doing the BCS games?

I thought when they announced this deal that it meant that ABC would carry at least the championship game over the air. Guess I was wrong. I do agree that it should be on regular tv and not cable.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, i don't particularly care.. it's been trending this way forever. NBA playoffs -> TNT...MLB playoffs -> TBS... NBA on NBC -> 1/2 to ESPN and 1/2 still on ABC..

This is the first (I think) championship moving to cable, but the signs have been there. If you don't have cable yet and you're a sports enthusiast, you had to know it was coming

4. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

no mainstream sports will ever go to PPV. The revenue would be much much less without commercials.

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

ESPN/ABC/Disney ruins all sports endeavors they touch, I want the NBA to go back to NBC. Hell, when they showed the Olympics and played that old school song, i kinda got a little choked up.

6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Basketball ratings would improve dramatically, if the NBA could some how end up at Fox, NBC, or CBS.

ESPN is good for the 2nd rate games with 2nd rate teams...like last night's game, Bills and Browns. I don't really think ABC is handling sports on its own, since ESPN product has become more prominent. Back in the 80s and 90s, you could see a big difference between ESPN coverage of the NFL and Monday Night Football.

I guess it doesn't matter, though, because football always gets good ratings, as long as it is not the XFL :D

7. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I can't see it, either. Where would all those nice endorsements from Nike, American Express, Burger King, and other run to. The big sports are in a perfect marriage with these corporations, because they feed off each other so much. The league's would inevitably suffer, if they made a move, like that.

8. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I would like the weekly BCS ranking announcements to move from FOX to ESPN as well...

i'd rather hear corso/herbstreet/fowler or may/holtz/davis announce the weekly selections and analyze them in a 30 minute show - rather than have bradshaw/long/et al handle it...

i'm glad the BCS is moving to ESPN... FOX has new business broadcasting college football at all.

9. DreamRoxCoogFan

I like the idea of the gameday crew dissecting, but I would be content if it was on ABC.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

In this new "digital" age of Television, and with the economy being "low" and what not, what makes ESPN believe that so many people will watch the game? :( I know hard-core peeps will, but... won't that make them lose some audience...? They can't be rated that high if it's on PAID television, now, can they? What cable shows have been rated high like a sporting event?

11. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Would you rather have FOX showing non-stop closeups of the band? Those chumps know nothing about college football, and the camera work is terrible. I'm happy that Musberger, Danielson, Herbstreit, Davis et. al will be working the BCS.

12. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Fox has the worst college football presentation I have ever seen. The on screen bug is ugly, the cheap music destroys my ears, the commentators stink.

Their MLB coverage isn't much better either, their NFL coverage USED to be the best because of the studio show with JB, now it is starting to reek too.

In terms of sports coverage, by network

1. NBC
    2. CBS
    3. ABC
    4. The CW
    5. NBA TV
    6. Versus Channel
    7. Lifetime Movie Network
    8. Fox

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Everything needs to be on TNT.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is incredibly great news stop complaining! Yes we have to deal with a USC bias. So be it. ESPN has the best CFB crew in the world. Fox is an absolute joke when its comes to CFB especially that little dork they have that facilitates the former players and analysts. You know the guy, the crappy Ryan Seacrest.

Fox Sports CFB is painful and detracts from an otherwise exciting time in sports. I could listen to ESPN's crew (USC bias or not) for days.

15. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

I think TNT does pretty well.

But yeah, this really sucks. I come from an area where the majority of people don't have cable (low income). It really feels like the NBA, NCAA, and ESPN simply do not give a sh-t about them. :(

16. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

dont worry.... according to the mayas the world will be over by then, no one will get to watch the game. fair is fair, you cant force people to pay for tv

17. Festeral Otto

Festeral Otto Contributing Member

I think this is very sad news...it just means 6 more years of the BCS.

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

There were identical concerns when MNF was moved to ESPN. From what I remember, there have already been multiple MNF games that have broken the ratings records for cable t.v.

I'm sure they'll be fine.

19. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

OK, are you comparing ratings records among CABLE TV shows, or just OVERALL TV? If it's just cable T.V., well, OK... where do you get that information, anyway? :confused: