1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Non all star draft

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by DonatasFanboy, Jun 1, 2014.

?

What period do you want to use?

Poll closed Jun 16, 2014.
  1. From 2000-01 season to now

47.1%
  2. Last 10 years (from 2004-05 season to now)

52.9%
  1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Would love to hear why his starting five is that much better. Chemistry issues, worse shot selection, same athleticism, questionable defense on some positions.

Lawson vs Thomas, where do you see the advantage? Thomas is a better scorer and shooter, great p&r player. Lawson with better D maybe .

Kittles vs Mobley: Kittles is a great defender, shooter, monster athlete, clutch player, great shot selection and plays within his role.

Mobley is known for bad shot selection, less defense than Kittles and worse shooting. Higher volume shooter, so you can somehow argue he's a more capable scorer.

Jefferson vs Batum: Yup, both are great defenders and shooters. Prime Jefferson wasa better scorer, Batum a better playmaker. Slight edge to Jefferson because of scoring output, but next to Mobley he won't have the ball as much.

Faried vs Young: both undersized for their position. Faried with more rebounding and bit better defense, Young with considerably better offense, shooting, spacing and play making.

Camby vs Cousins: Camby is extremely overrated on defense, also has to face one of the best offensive bigs in Cousins. Camby was also known for bad shot selection, pairing him and Mobley will result in many bad shots.

On offense, my wings stay within their role and stretch the floor effectively, same with Young who keeps Faried out of the paint. I have better shooters and a way more capable p&r with Thomas+Boogie/Young. Better ball movement, all my starters are elite at playmaking for their positions, the ball wouldmove extremely well. Add their shooting and p&r ability and you have an extremely potent offense. I can also iso with Thomas and Cousins.

Thing has no potent p&r weapons and worse spacing. Wings are more potent ISO scorers, but I lead in PG, PF and C scoring. Also got Richardson and Horry off the bench.

Sorry, but saying thing is way better and has better offense is completely false. Would love to hear your analysis, spooner.

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Btw, I always used ball-moving teams like the Spurs or old Celtics, Pistons, Lakers as an example, this playoffs should've shown it to everyone.

Their most effective unit was Mills-Green-Leonard-Diaw-Duncan.
    This unit would be rated terribly in this draft, as four starters barely put 10ppg when putting together the averages.

People would argue that Mills, Green, Leonard(to an extent) and Diaw are low-volume scorers, can't iso and that the overall team offense would be terrible because of that. Even more so with Splitter in the line-up.

Majority here only looks at individual ppg and iso ability, team-play, vision, unselfishness, mashing together, spacing/shooting, p&r ability are not even factors for most voters.

Plus, defense plays a huge role. Teams with great perimeter and wing defenders initiate a lot of transition and easy scoring opportunities(fast breaks, open 3s when defense hasn't settled yet) through stops and steals, most people here don't give a damn about this.

Ball-iq, spacing, vision, transition and team play are the most important factors for an offense, having better iso scorers or ppg guys(btw most of these high ppg seasons for non all-stars were happening due to bad teams placing good but not great guys in go-to positions because of a lack of other offensive firepower) doesn't mean jack.

3. VBG

VBG Member

Lawson has pretty good shooting numbers and I definitely would give Lawson the edge for putting up good numbers on a winning team vs Isaiah Thomas who does it for a horrific team. I think Lawson has a decent edge overall. I just think they're plenty of PGs who when given the freedom can put up Thomas like numbers without much of an impact.

Just something I wanted to point out. Both are pretty bad defensively. Thomas is worse though.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Think msot people wanted an all-star draft but we did this one instead, how about starting one?

We could twist it up by doing four rounds of all-stars and four rounds of no all-stars.
    Or 3/5, don't know what you guys prefer.

5. thething

thething Contributing Member

Thanks--I'm not a newbie, though. I was in the first all-time draft a couple years ago. This is my second draft win.

6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

He's the Grant Hill of fantasy drafts.

7. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. jvu

jvu Member

So he was injured for a lot of drafts? Gotcha.

9. jvu

jvu Member

That's cool to see ya longtimers back at drafting. Pretty cool to find historic drafters haha

10. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

If we redo a draft I have a friend who wants to play

#770 Jmcballer88, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  11. jvu

jvu Member

[​IMG]

?

12. Jmcballer88

Man yall butthurt

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

First off, comparing Isaiah Thomas to Ty Lawson is insanity. I understand IT played well for the Kings this year, but he is in no way even close to the caliber of point guard that Lawson is. It's not even close.

When it comes to Kittles vs Mobley, you point to a lack of efficiency on Mobley's part. However both players shot relatively the same from inside the arc. The difference is, Mobley attempted way more three's per game, still hitting a respectable .378 from the arc. While Kittles may have been slightly more efficient, Mobley averaged nearly 10 points more per game in his prime without a noticeable drop in efficiency. Therefore, saying Mobley is a worse shooter is entirely inaccurate. If anything he was a better, more talented scorer.

Prime Jefferson is a better player than Batum. Sorry. Jefferson rebounded better, had very similar assist numbers and both played solid defense. Batum scored 13ppg on .456 in his best year. Jefferson scored nearly 23ppg at .466 from the field. Hell there was a year he almost shot .500 and averaged 19ppg. Your trying to tell me that a guy who scores ten points less per game with a worse efficiency is somehow better? You can call Batum a better playmaker, but Jefferson only averaged one less assist in his prime and actually rebounded better.

I'm sorry I just cant get behind the statement that Thaddeus Young is a floor spacer. The guy has shot a career .321 from only 1 three point attempt per game and if it weren't for this year, (hitting .308 on nearly 4 attempts per game,) that number would be even worse. Young shoots a very high percentage around the basket. That is exactly where Faried is at his best on defense. He's also a much better rebounder. I do like Thaddeus young, mainly for his defense, but don't ever call him a floor spacer again.

Before saying that Camby is extremely overrated on defense, you need to understand that Camby made 4 all defensive teams, led the league in blocks 4 times, led the league in rebounding 4 times and posted the lowest defensive rating EVER with a 90.6 per 100 possessions. As a center, that means a hell of a lot. Can you name one other center in the history of the NBA that a higher number of defensive win shares? I don't think so. While Cousins averaged 22ppg, he did it shooting below .500 no bueno for a center. I think Thething has a clear rebounding advantage here and while Cousins still isn't the best defensively, his calling card is his offense. It's a shame he has to go against Camby. If he couldn't manage to shoot .500 against today's NBA centers, I don't see this working out in his favor. Hell, even Camby who you said was inneficient on offense at least managed to score 12ppg on well over .500 from the field.

I think every one of his starters are better. Nothing against you breh just calling it how I see it.

14. PullUpJ

PullUpJ Member

:grin::grin:

15. thething

thething Contributing Member

The Cambyman can shoot!

[youtube]__mLRAO_eAg[/youtube]

16. Jmcballer88

I guess no more drafts

17. Horry33

Horry33 Contributing Member

I am not quitting until I get Michael Jordan on my team one time.

#777 Horry33, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  18. jvu

jvu Member

Im down for an all time draft. Not down for another lower tier draft. Hard to judge some of those when some of those guys didn't get spotlights (i don't watch all 32 teams and maintain whether when their primes were).

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm also down for all-time, but we're only four people or something like that atm.
    Seems this draft divided dem brehs.

[​IMG]

20. lwqbulb

lwqbulb Member

I am down for any draft