1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan's place amongst pitchers

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rezdawg, Sep 25, 2004.

1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I can't remember who it was, but some radio personality recently made this comment - that at his peak, Pedro was the best pitcher in history, compared to others during their absolute peaks. Would most here agree?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think the only legit way to judge players over different eras is how they stack up against the peers of their own generation.

at his best, Pedro was pitching better than all of his peers by a pretty big margin, if you put a ton of weight on ERA. that's pretty compelling evidence.

i think you can make the argument...but it's certainly not an absolute. my dad would say you're crazy and remind you of koufax.

3. meh

meh Contributing Member

I believe it was 1999(?) when Pedro was so great he could've won the MVP if it weren't for a bunch of anal voters who'd never vote a pitcher for the award.

I think the difference between Pedro and other great pitchers is that he never had down years when he's healthy. Other pitchers go through the normal career path of improving, peaking, and declining. Pedro was already Cy Young caliber back in Montreal, where only the fact that he's in Montreal kept him from stardom.