1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan, Jon Daniels had to be physically separated during argument

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DFWRocket, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It won't happen. The next AAA team will be in Montgomery county. Astros just bought the land there to develop a new AAA stadium.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Ah. lame.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Astros bought nothing.

A development team including Jim Crane bought that land. A AAA team there is far from a given.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

6. juicystream

Definitely under consideration, and even planned. Right now they don't even have approval for a stadium, so RR is still a possibility. We'll see what happens with stadium approval/public funding and the PDC with OKC in the next year.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But who is even saying Round Rock is in the mix?

I don't see Crane wanting to give up another potential revenue stream... and this regime does find any/all ways to max out revenue at any given time. He also seems to find a way to get what he wants...and it's clear that he wants a AAA team in the greater Houston area.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

No offer to Nolan but door remains open

9. juicystream

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;Actually I'm hoping to talk to Nolan (Ryan) pretty soon,&quot; Astros owner Jim Crane said. He added, &quot;Certainly we could make room for Nolan.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/425729975694532608">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>It's clear Astros Jim Crane will make a run at hiring Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/425732746074284032">January 21, 2014</a></blockquote>

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/2...returing-to-the-astros-if-it-is-a-doable-deal

HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Houston Astros owner Jim Crane reiterated that he would like to bring Hall of Fame pitcher Nolan Ryan back into the Houston organization and Ryan said he would enjoy working with son, Reid, again if the two sides can get together.

Reid Ryan is president of the Astros business operations.

Crane plans to meet with Nolan Ryan in the near future.

"Reid and I've worked together before here in Round Rock and I would enjoy that opportunity because it's not very often that you get that opportunity," Nolan Ryan said in an interview with FOX 26 Sports.

"I'd certainly look forward to that if that turned out to be a doable deal."

Nolan and Reid Ryan worked together with the Round Rock Express, the Triple-A franchise the Ryan family continues to own as part of Ryan-Sanders Baseball.

"I've said all along the only two organizations that I would have an interest in working with would be the Rangers or the Astros," said Nolan Ryan.

"Obviously, I've retired from the Rangers. So if I got back into baseball it would pretty much be limited to that."

Nolan Ryan points out he has yet to discuss this situation with Crane and does not know when they will meet.

"We love Nolan Ryan," Crane told reporters on Tuesday. "Actually, I'm hoping to talk to Nolan pretty soon.

"We could certainly make room for Nolan Ryan. We'll see how that works with the business-side and the baseball-side. I think there's some interest from Nolan if it's the right opportunity for him and it fits what he wants to do.

"He's very accomplished. He's done a lot of great things and certainly would be a great addition to the team if we could get him."

11. msn

msn Member

a great addition? where? would dude subject himself to working with our minor league pitchers? where is there room in the front office?

12. juicystream

I don't see him having a high position. Some sort of assistant/consultant.

13. msn

msn Member

How about Chief-Get-the-Astros-Back-to-the-NL-Where-They-Belong Officer?

For me, Nolan's baseball legacy in Houston lost a lot of its luster when he partnered with the scumbag POS Bud Selig to rip us out of the NL.

1 person likes this.
  14. juicystream

Yeah, I'm pretty torn on him these days.

I'm definitely happy to have his son as Team President, rather than him.

I'm hoping it could lead to a return to RR (and eventual team ownership). At this point the only thing I think could stop that is Crane being 100% on the Woodlands site.

15. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

This. I want RR back and it just makes sense for this organization.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Why? Because EFF YOU RANGERS!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>I asked Nolan what his wife Ruth thought about chance to work with Astros. &quot;I think she'd be excited to see us back,&quot; he said.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/428305369077534720">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;I'd be available to consult and do whatever they felt I could assist them with,&quot; Nolan Ryan said.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/428304878415257600">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;I think it would be exciting to work with him,&quot; Nolan Ryan said of son Reid. &quot;The Astros have always had a special place in our hearts.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/428304327866712064">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>&quot;I told them I'd get back to them in the near future,&quot; Nolan Ryan said.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/428303267441815552">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Nolan Ryan says his visit with Jim Crane and Jeff Luhnow went well. He promised to give them an answer before spring training.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/428302483866136576">January 28, 2014</a></blockquote>

http://blog.chron.com/ultimateastros/2014/01/28/nolan-ryan-meets-with-jim-crane-at-minute-maid/

Hall of Famer Nolan Ryan, the pride of Alvin, spent part of Tuesday afternoon visiting with Astros owner Jim Crane and several of the club’s front office folks at Minute Maid Park.

Crane said last week that he would meet with Ryan about a potential job in the Astros’ organization.

Ryan visited with Crane and Jeff Luhnow and other Astros officials Tuesday, including his eldest son Reid, who is the Astros’ president of business operations.

“I thought it went fine,” Nolan said. “I visited with Jim and Jeff on what the role would be. I told them I’d give it a thought and I’d bet back to them in the near future.

“I think it would be exciting wo work with Reid and the Astros orgainzation. The Astros have always had special place in our hearts,.”

Ryan didn’t say what type role he would want with the team.

Ryan, who spent nine of his 27 years in the majors with his hometown Astros, resigned as CEO of the Texas Rangers last October. Although Rangers officials described the move as a retirement after pushing the all-time strikeout leader out, Ryan adamantly declared that he was merely resigning from a job he held since February 2008.

Former Rangers pitcher Scott Feldman, who was signed this off-season to serve as the veteran leader of the Astros’ rotation, credits Ryan with helping him out of an early funk in 2010 with tips that have helped him throughout his career.

Feldman also gives Ryan plenty of credit for helping the Rangers become a World Series club.

“I don’t think it’s a coincidence that when he showed up the Rangers started to become a good team,” Feldman said of Ryan’s return to the Rangers in 2008. “I think he had a lot to do with that. When he showed up is when they started winning.”

Ryan spent the final five years of his playing career with the Rangers and eventually went into the Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., in a Rangers cap. He remained in Arlington until former Astros owner Drayton McLane gave him a five-year personal services contract in 2004. Ryan was allowed to exit early from that contract to rejoin the Rangers in February 2008, helping that beleaguered franchise maneuver out of bankruptcy and eventually reach two World Series.

Ryan played a role in building the Astros’ 2005 World Series club and the Rangers’ 2010 and 2011 World Series teams. He remains 14th on baseball’s all-time victories list with a 324-292 record over 27 years with the New York Mets, California Angels, Astros and Rangers.

The Alvin High graduate won his only World Series title with the 1969 Mets, but he also appeared in the playoffs with the Astros in 1980, 1981 and 1986.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He still has their hat on in the HOF and was one of the proponents of the Astros moving to the AL. So eff Nolan Ryan.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I can live with the hat thing...but I know what you mean about being a proponent of the AL move. I'll never see him the same way ever again.

Having said that, this would be a great jab at #LifelongRangerFanSince2010 !!

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

20. Nook

Nook Member

Nolan looks out for Nolan...... not the Astros or Rangers.... Honestly I do not blame him. He was discarded by the Astros and now has been discarded by the Rangers.