1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nolan Ryan, Jon Daniels had to be physically separated during argument

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DFWRocket, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Steve Patterson made a number of blunders, poor draft picks and tried to trade away Olajuwon for a sack of **** to the Heat.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure, but in the end he didn't and dream got an extension from Patterson/Thomas.

He was responsible for Kenny smith, maxwell, Thorpe, elie, and he drafted Horry and Cassell.

U can bash him all u want, but he was integral to building those teams.

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

No, they both should get credit for the team's recent success but that's not the real issue here. This is an old fashioned power struggle between two guys with HUGE egos pure and simple that was setup by the two dimwit majority owners who didn't have enough common sense to leave well enough alone. There is much angst up here over the state of the Rangers who followed two straight World Series appearances with consecutive flame outs and somebody has to take the fall. Nolan Ryan is baseball royalty up here and if Daniels forces him out the fallout will be worse than what you are now seeing in Houston - it would ignite a civil war between the Rangers organization and their fanbase. And the only thing that could salvage the situation for the Rangers would be a World Series title and without Nolan's baseball savvy, that would be somewhat of a longshot especially given how Daniels has mismanaged the last two off seasons. Here, you have two guys with different approaches to how things should be done: old school (Nolan) vs. new school (Daniels) and when they worked together as a team, the Rangers enjoyed their highest levels of success.

Having been in Dallas since the early 90's I can remember just how pathetic the Rangers were as an organization. I also remember hearing over and over how the farm system would change the lot of the big league club once all of that "talent" started flowing upward into the big league club. Well, folks up here waited and waited and waited some more and nothing really changed. What you need to understand is that this situation didn't change until Nolan took over and changed the culture of the organization and the fan's belief in Nolan is absolute which the owners and Daniels cannot stand because THEY want all the credit for any and all success which, of course, ain't happening anytime soon.

I see Nolan being forced out, the s**t hitting the fan and all hell breaking loose over the off season. Which should suit the ALastros just fine because it would , at least for a little while, shift the spotlight away from their wretchedness.

4. Nook

Nook Member

Steve and Ray Patterson had one of the 5-7 greatest players of all time and had very little to show for it. I don't really hate Steve Patterson, although he has been fired a number of times.

5. HillBoy

Or to put it another way: Those teams that Steve Patterson built won TWO NBA titles while Les with Carroll Dawson & Morey have won zip, zero, NO titles. Like Jason Seigel said in Bad Teacher: "It's the only argument you need."

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sounds like assigning the credit IS the real issue... especially since you mention later in your post that THEY (Daniels) want all the credit.

And it was largely Daniels' farm system, and developed prospects, that led them to back-to-back pennants.

Nolan gets too much credit... hell, I believe he deserves some, but not as much as you're giving him. "Change in cultures" are overrated... unless he personally taught CJ Wilson, Holland and Feliz all how to become above average pitchers. All players were selected or traded for by Daniels long before Nolan came there.

If Nolan is that magical... hell, he should just make a living going to every mediocre pitching team and waving his magic wand over them.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Haha... its just like Daniels vs. Nolan. Les gets all the credit for championship teams he inherited.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Regardless of who ultimately deserves the credit... the Rangers would be far worse off if they got rid of Daniels rather than siding with Nolan (who isn't going to be building or rebuilding a farm system).

Also doesn't sound like both can co-exist.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Meh the Astros have been terrible by design and the worst is already over. Their farm system is probably the best in baseball and they have no bad long term contracts. Their biggest issue is their television contract.

10. HillBoy

It doesn't matter if you or I believe that Nolan is actually a magical baseball wizard or not - the Ranger fanbase BELIEVES him to be so and that's all that counts. Ron Washington - the most successful Rangers' manager ever - was his hire and he stood by Wash after his cocaine incident and is solidly behind him going forward. Daniels wants to pull a Jerry Jones and pick Wash's baseball staff. This is what escalated the current situation to crisis levels. This is veering off into too much of a Rangers discussion so I'll end it here because there are a number of issues (like personnel moves, pitch counts, in game player moves, authority to hire/fire coaches) that lie at the heart of the dispute between these two block heads and really should be discussed elsewhere.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rangers fans have already proven that winning cures everything. If Nolan is forced out, and the team continues to win (or actually does better and wins it all), all will be forgotten.

Also, between the ways the team collapsed to lose the World Series, along with the way they collapsed down the stretch last year and this year... plenty of people want Washington to be held accountable for this. Its actually surprising they're sticking with him.

I agree, too much Rangers talk is never a good thing... and I'll say it again, doesn't sound like both can be there. Then again, the Rangers won't really have a great GM (or any GM) anymore if Daniels is fired, or just decides to quit.

12. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Wait, you're counting Ron Washington as one of his successes? The guy who basically single handedly cost them the 2011 World Series with his tactical blunders? The "leader" who presided over two major collapses the last two seasons? If he's in Nolan's column then that's a major strike against Ryan.

As an Astros fan, the best case scenario is for Nolan to win a public power struggle and keep Washington aboard. That should return them to their 70-wins-a-year roots in no time.

#32 DoitDickau, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Something to be said for 2 WS appearances. And I'm not sure it was a tactical error to have his AS closer blow game 6.

14. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

As you were...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Whoa: Rangers announce CEO Nolan Ryan has announced his retirement, effective October 31.</p>&mdash; Jamey Newberg (@NewbergReport) <a href="https://twitter.com/NewbergReport/statuses/390919371616317440">October 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

NOLAN RYAN TO RETIRE AS TEXAS RANGERS CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 31

Arlington, Texas—Texas Rangers Chief Executive Officer Nolan Ryan today announced his retirement, effective October 31.

“This is the right time for me to step down from my role of overseeing the Rangers organization,” said Ryan. “I am extremely proud of what this organization has accomplished. On the field, we have enjoyed great success at the major league level. The fans have supported us in record numbers the last two years and we have been able to upgrade the ballpark and enhance the in-game experience to reward that loyalty.

“We have a group of talented and passionate employees who have helped make this success possible. This organization is in good hands. I am leaving with a lot of great memories from my tenure here and I know the organization will continue to thrive in the years to come.”

“Under Nolan’s leadership and guidance over the last six years, the Rangers organization has made enormous strides both on and off the field,” said Rangers Co-Chairmen Ray Davis and Bob Simpson. “Nolan has meant so much to this franchise and to our fans. We thank him for his many contributions, including his role in helping to develop one of the finest baseball operations staff in the game.

“Today we turn the page on what we believe is a very bright future for this organization. We wish Nolan all the best.”

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Should we read this as he is retiring from the Rangers, or from Baseball period?

17. HillBoy

I thought this was just another stupid bit from the idiots on 105.3 The Fan but it appears to be legit. Looks like Jon Daniels has pushed Nolan off the island. Am waiting for all hell to bust loose once the Rangers' fans get wind of what's gone down.

Update: 3:30 presser from Arlington Stadium. Also, story is hitting the TV stations about now.

#37 HillBoy, Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Bring back the Express!!!!

Unfortunately they are signed through 2018, but I'm fine with waiting.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nolan: I am resigning as CEO of the Texas Rangers. Closes a chapter of my life in baseball. Feel like its time for me to move on to other things. Been a decision that has weighed on me heavily but the right decision.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Nolan Ryan on retiring/resigning: &quot;I think you could use either word. ... Will I be a CEO of another Major League ballclub? No, I won't.&quot;</p>&mdash; Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) <a href="https://twitter.com/JeffWilson_FWST/statuses/390941133355753472">October 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Nobody in the Astros organization has talked to Nolan Ryan about rejoining the organization, but the door definitely appears open.</p>&mdash; Jose de Jesus Ortiz (@OrtizKicks) <a href="https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/statuses/390941168055238656">October 17, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>As part of Nolan Ryan's exit from MLB <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Rangers&amp;src=hash">#Rangers</a>, he has sold his interest in club back to owners Ray Davis and Bob Simpson</p>&mdash; Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) <a href="https://twitter.com/EricFisherSBJ/statuses/390941925077188608">October 17, 2013</a></blockquote>

A lot of speculation with Houston but sitting here today, not in my plans. Plan on going home, getting back to the ranch and spend time with grand kids and family. I won't tell you today what a year from now might bring. This might be the final chapter of my baseball career but if there was something else, it won't be in the role I played here with the Rangers.

(You could have kept your ownership interest, why sell it?) I felt like Ray and Bob were interested in owning it. I felt like the timing was right. If I was going to step down, it made sense to clean up my whole situation.

#39 J.R., Oct 17, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  20. HillBoy

Just saw the press conference. The local TV stations broke in from their regular programming to show it. Most notable was that Jon Daniels was nowhere to be found. Essentially the two dumbo owners have bought Nolan out and told him to go away (my opinion). All hell is breaking out amongst Rangers' fans. Talk radio has exploded. This is being equated to Jerry Jones' firing of Tom Landry. The whole situation is so very Dallas and deliciously funny to watch.