1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nobody watched the Astros/Angels day game on tv

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by bigtexxx, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Angels' Hamilton to miss 6-8 weeks with a torn ligament in his left thumb.

2. Granville

Granville Member

You just don't get it.. do you? Hurling derogatory comments at other posters isn't the reason for the forum. Discussing subjects regarding the Astros is... I believe the Astros owe it to their fans to put the best possible team on the field and with the Springer situation it's obvious that they aren't doing that.

3. Major

Major Member

That's not remotely obvious. They are building for the long-term and avoiding doing stupid short-term fixes like you suggest. You're going to hate the Astros regardless, so I'm glad they aren't catering to you.

Trying to win an extra 2 games this year by bringing Springer up now instead of in June does nothing to further any of the goals of this franchise and hurts them down the line.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They owe it to their fans to make sure our future is secure. This team is not going to compete this year, so wasting a year on Springer to be playing on the team right now would be dumb. Springer could have forced the issue in ST, but he didn't. He'll be before you know it and then something else will take the place in the list of dumb complaints against the team.

If you want to continue with your Crane takes, you need to develop a little thicker skin because we have a right to call you out on it. It's old and annoying. Broken records and beaten horses are for the birds.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agree with you for the most part... disagree with you here. Only way Springer would have made the team is if he had signed the contract. 2 weeks of a hot streak in spring training is about as meaningful as not playing at all (see Marc Krause).

I also don't think promoting a 24.5 year old when he deserved it would have the future significantly "insecure".

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I was more referring to the pressure they might have felt from the public and media had Springer torched it in ST. It's a different narrative if one of your top prospects who will ultimately be in the big leagues this year has a ST like Krauss. No one cares about Krauss.

Not necessarily. But a much better chance of that than him making such a huge difference in April and May of 2013 that this franchise just couldn't bear the two months wihtout him. It was absolutely the smartest decision a club in this situation can make.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think you saw as much "pressure" this city will muster all of last season when he wasn't promoted after all of the deadlines. If that wasn't going to turn the front office, in the midst of a potential 40/40 minor league season, 2 weeks of ST wasn't going to as well. This city is so apathetic, spring training barely registered a blip on the radar. Again, the only way he would have made the team is with that contract, predicted before any ST results.

In the end, they still don't know what they have with him till he's actually up here, and gets his feet wet. He could be a colossal failure, and thus all this time would have been "wasted" stashing him as they could move on and add to the ever-growing list of "needs" this team has to become good again.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I so can't freaking wait for Springer to get up...partly because i want to see him play...and partly because I'm anxious to learn what the next thing everyone will have to b**** about will be with regard to player development. Or maybe it will still be that we're the only baseball team in the world that puts up (gasp!!!) signs in our ballpark.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It will be Correa.

10. Granville

Granville Member

The thin skin is evident by the people who take every anti Crane comment personal and attack the messenger not the message. I find your act old and annoying too, I just don't choose to attack you.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

You'd probably come off a little better if you didn't have this act like you're above all this. Start coming with better takes and people will probably stop attacking you. Notice it's not just me who has this opinion about your posts, it's nearly every person in this forum.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Folty
    Singleton
    Appel

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

dude what's your deal? Why so aggressive with the personal attacks?

might be time to go smoke a bowl, brah

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Estrogen: you're full of it if you think that was aggressive.

15. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

As I understand, it was Jim Crane who refused to make a deal with other television providers because the Astros, who have the majority stake in CSN-H, refused to take a lower rate to make the station available on other networks. Not sure how Les Alexander and the Rockets can be blamed when they don't have majority ownership. Of course, now that CSN-H is in bankruptcy, we can hope that Les will take majority control and make the deal. After all, the Rockets are losing much more on this because they actually have a team people want to watch. The Astros, on the other hand, suck and don't look to be on the upswing any time soon, so what do they care about their 0.0 Nielson rating? I'm sure its preferable for them that nobody is watching them blow chunks. From Crane's perspective, I'm sure he's hoping that everybody will forget this piece of Astros history.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The Rockets own the Rockets media rights. They were responsible for getting their product to the market. They, like the Astros, made a terrible business decision.

Rockets, like the Astros, were given full authority to go out and negotiate deals on behalf of CSN-H. There weren't any. The Rockets attorney told the judge in writing that there were no deals remotely worth considering out there.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

To add to MM's point, the Astros tried to LEAVE the CSN debacle behind them, and go strike a deal elsewhere... and they were forced to stay due to a filed bankruptcy that the Rockets supported. Had they been allowed to leave, there's a good chance the network gets liquidated and the teams find a way to get on the air by now.

Now, after all the bankruptcy and court dates and mediations... there's a good chance the network gets liquidated, and the teams find another way to get on the air prior to NEXT year.

The Astros want to go on their own, the Rockets wanted them to stay with the network... the Rockets actually need the Astros more than the Astros need the Rockets (in regards to carrying a sports channel)... but its a mutually destructive relationship that needs to end in order for this mess to get resolved.

18. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Do you know for sure Springer will be good? Nope. Time to try him and if he sucks move on.

19. Major

Major Member

Good. A front office building for the long-term should not be caving to short-term pressure.

A whole two months wasted? The horror! ;)

20. Major

Major Member

Les Alexander gave the Astros veto authority in any deal. He did this because he wanted to make lots of $$ and this was the best way to do it.

Then, there was an opportunity to blow the whole thing up in September, which would have had the Rockets on TV in November. But Les joined Comcast to fight that.

So yeah, Les is responsible for his own decisions. No one made him partner with the Astros who had very different financial priorities and media rights structures. No one made him give veto authority to the Astros. No one made him fight the dissolution of the network. He doesn't get a free pass on his own decisions just because you don't like the other guy.

I'm pretty sure the Astros and the Rockets would like to be getting their $50MM and $30MM per year, respectively.