1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No trading for a superstar...Rockets will be alright

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pokito1120, Jul 18, 2012.

1. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

I look at the Rockets roster and I see we are young, REALLY YOUNG. J Lamb, Parsons, Patterson, Asik, White, D-Mo, T.Jones, and J Lin. All of these guys are young and talented, so why trade any of this for a "superstar"...why not as a collective group get better. Why not have a collective group instead of a superstar and scrubs. Yes next year we might lose alot of games but we can only get better as these guys learn how to play NBA baskeball. I dont like what Hou has been doing these past years as far as treating their players like assets to get a superstar, its a dumb tactic that we have been trying to do since 2009 and we have yet to be successful. Who would play hard if they knew they might not be here for long who would want to sign here with that mentality. So my suggestion is keep the guys we have now they look awesome in the summer league they will only get better. Let them grow together!!!

1 person likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Our rookies showing at summer league means a few things to me:

1) They are better than I thought they were. Perhaps others agree.
    2) Rather than seeing them as the #12, #16 and #18 picks, they have names now :)
    3) The better they play the more value they have, both to us AND to the Orlando brain trust.
    4) While too much shouldnt be made of 4 summer league games, so far, the prospect of not having Dwight seems a more pleasant possibility than before summer league.
    5) If a Dwight deal does happen, our increasing rookie values may mean we have to give up less in such a deal. Maybe.

1 person likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

Do we really need another one of these threads?

Say it after me: "Unproven rookie". Say it four times. Once for each of the players to which you are referring.

4. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

So wouldn't it be more logical to wait a year for them to establish some value (like Parsons) so we wouldn't have to give up as much?

5. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

LOF that hasn't watched the last 3 years?

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

One thing is for sure, we don't look nearly as desperate as we did 2 weeks ago before Summer League started and Lin became a Rocket.

Orlando could have raped us then but because of their greed now they may have to settle for a package that's far less attractive .

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

No, no, and no! The only reason you want the team to stay put with its current roster is so we can tank and rebuild, otherwise trading/signing a superstar will still be numero uno priority. Now if one of them develops into a star caliber player over the course of a season, that is a different story. Rookies almost never pan out as stars. For every LBJ, there are at least 100 Kwame Browns.

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

And I would take that plus the potential of us keeping draft picks, over injured one year rental on superstar and bad contract, any day of the week, given we do not have what is needed for a legit run anyway.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

A superstar is available now. That's a rare occurrence and there probably won't be one available a year from now.

Furthermore, letting them develop may just result in more mediocrity.

10. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

I'd love to watch these rookies grow together. I havn't been this excited for a Rockets team in a long time.

Keep them and throw them in the fire next year. Obtain a top 5 lottery pick and draft a superstar.

11. rocketseagles07

go ahead and name me a team thats one a title without a superstar(besides the pistons) in the last 15 years. Don't worry, i'll wait.......... As far as drafting a superstar is concerned I'll go with the quote from J.A. Adande's article: "History is against the salvation-through-the-draft model. Only six No. 1 overall draft picks have won a championship and a Most Valuable Player award while playing for the team that drafted them."

12. rocketseagles07

won*****

13. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

I would love to land Dwight or Bynum, BUT...

I'm starting to get attached to these rookies already! I really don't want to see Lamb, White, Jones, or DMo go! I know it's only summer league, but all 3 look like the real deal! Not only that, but they all just seem like good guys too. White seems like he would break his back for us!

If Morey can get a deal done and keep all 4 of those guys, I will worship the ground he walks on!

Lin
    Lamb
    Parsons/White
    DMo/Jones
    Howard

That would be my dream squad heading into this season! Any chance giving up Martin/PPat/Morris + Draft picks and eating a couple bad contracts would get it done?

14. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Another thread started to say don't trade the young guys for Dwight because they are Summer League stars.

15. cardpire

cardpire Member

oh cool nice thread.

16. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Mission Impossible!!!

18. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What a refreshing new topic.