1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Reason Not To Sign Kap

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by mugrakers, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Our dumb president has unfortunately made Kaepernick toxic, and, honestly, I don't blame teams for not wanting any part of that circus. I think, from a pure football perspective, he'd be a far more interesting/promising replacement than Savage, et al. And... if he has ANYTHING left, it would be a tremendous opportunity for him to rekindle his career. But if the Texans have no interest in hordes of media charting his every move and asking about him non-stop... I mean, can you blame them? It's a no-win situation for the organization.

Having said that, it would be fun, personally, to watch a faction of the fan base go into complete meltdown. But only for a quick taste; after that, wading through the ignorant racism and jingoism would sicken me and I'd be back to understanding why no team wants any part of Kaepernick right now.

csj likes this.
  2. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You want a discussion?

You cite "more wins by Gabbert" in your first paragraph as a reason to not pick Kaepernick, then cite "just winz" in the very next paragraph as a ridiculous way to evaluate a quarterback.

Kaepernick's career stats: 72 TD, 30 INT, .583 winning percentage (not bad for a guy who is "pretty good when it came to a team looking to tank.")

QBs signed since Labor Day:

Brad Kaaya - no career statistics
    Joe Webb - 3 TD, 5 INT, .500
    Brock Osweiler - 26 TD, 22 INT, .619 (damn. look at that winning percentage, he must be great, I assume you think the Texans should sign him)
    Ryan Nassib - 1 TD, 0 INT, n/a
    Brandon Weeden - 31 TD, 30 INT, .240
    Brian Hoyer - 48 TD, 30 INT, .432
    Matt McGloin - 11 TD, 11 INT, .143
    TJ Yates - 6 TD, 8 INT, .571

Keep in mind, these are the BEST guys who tried out. For each of them, there were a handful of other guys who were invited to tryout that didn't get picked. Statistically, by any measure, Kaepernick is better than these schmucks. Period. Point blank. It's not even worth arguing. This doesn't even take into account how obviously different our offense looks when you have a guy back there with some mobility.

You can be annoyed by his protest and I wouldn't blame you. You can say he's not worth the headache and I probably would agree. But to say he's not good enough is a pathetic lie, and it is a lame attempt to try and seem impartial.

#182 Baseballa, Nov 7, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so just to be clear, are you saying that it's just that you know better than every NFL FO or are you saying
    [​IMG]

4. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'm saying that when teams are tripping over themselves to sign Brian freakin' Hoyer, yet won't even bring in a guy with the fifth best TD/INT ratio of all-time and a Super Bowl appearance under his belt for a tryout, it should raise some eyebrows.

Again, if the owners don't think he's worth the headache, I can buy that. But this isn't a talent thing.

Hey Now! likes this.
  5. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Same reasoning can be said to you about your opinions. Kaep took a team to the Super Bowl and almost won. What have these other QBs done?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gotcha, so it's a massive conspiracy where teams are doing things not in their own best interest in a competitive league.....because aliens.

It couldn't be that you are just wrong about him and there's enough tape out there of him sucking at football to where there's no need to bring him in to see what he has. Couldn't be that.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He didn't take a team anywhere, he hitched a ride on a team that got to the SB based on their defense and run game. Of course, I'm sure you knew that.

8. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

So Brian Hoyer was able to take the Texans to the Super Bowl too?

9. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You are the one that is making a connections between politics and discrimination, I am not. Are you denying that politics isn't a significant part of the objection to Kaep being brought in? And I didn't bring up politics...
    I believe football reasons are why I'd like Kaep brought in. He is a mobile QB with a strong arm. The Texans have a poor OL (made weaker by the trade with SEA, IMO, but that is a separate discussion and moot point). Having three statues with questionable arms versus a highly mobile QB with a strong arm. What am I saying that relates to discrimination or politics?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Did anyone take the Texans to the Super Bowl? No.

Could Brian Hoyer have hitched a ride on that Niners team and gone to the SB? Sure.

Are we really so far removed from the Broncos making the SB with broken down old Peyton Manning (who was so bad that he wasn't even the best QB on the roster sad as that sounds) and Brock Osweiler to where you don't realize that a stellar defense and run game really can carry absolute garbage at QB to a SB?

I mean, it really wasn't that long ago.

11. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Just to be clear, before this lie gets out of hand:

Kaepernick's 2012 Playoff run (3 games):

798 passing yards, 4 passing TDs, 2 INT, 264 rushing yards, 3 rushing TDs

That amazing defense gave up at least 24 points in every playoff game that season, and the 49ers still made it to the Super Bowl.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, just to be clear, you think that Kaepernick is a really good QB that would help multiple NFL teams, but it's a massive conspiracy....because aliens. Okay.

I gotta say though, that I'm convinced. Those numbers in 4 games are almost as good as a 24 year old Mark Sanchez managed in 3 playoff games so clearly we're talking a next level QB here.

13. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Look, dude, you're the one who said he was carried to the Super Bowl by his defense. Don't make inaccurate claims if you don't want them thrown back in your face.

I think the owners don't want the headache. I do not think owners believe that Matt McGloin is a better quarterback than Colin Kaepernick.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Where is that Storm7 tweet he posted a few years ago when our city was underwater?

Classy guy

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I don't believe in the conspiracy theory and I think it's important to note that you are talking about him at his absolute peak, which was at best decent and it was before the NFL caught up to the read option. It's kind of like talking about a wildcat QB by harping on how they did before the NFL caught up to that.

16. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Kaepernick threw for 16 touchdowns, 4 INTs, and rushed for almost 500 yards in 11 games LAST SEASON.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

And I believe football reasons are why we should not bring Kap in just like the SI article I referenced. So I am opposition to Kap that doesn't care about Kap's politics that you can't seem to notice.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, on a team trying to tank and he picked up most of those yards and TD's in garbage time against prevent defenses long after the game was put away.....just ask any niners fan who actually watched the games. He's a perfect QB if you are looking to lose as many games as possible, no one denies that.

19. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, even with the prevent defenses, with his team constantly trailing, he only threw for 186 yards per game good for dead last in the NFL behind Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brock Osweiler.