1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No More Rasheed Threads

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jshabang, Aug 9, 2003.

1. jshabang

jshabang Member

Well,
    It Looks as if all our speculation about trying to trade for Rasheed is probably not gonna happen...........I sure hate it, because with out of all the trade proposals I've seen lately........I was prayin this one was true

It seems the nets would likely offer K mart and Dikembe, for Rasheed and Sabonis...............clearly better than anything we can offer, except for the fact that they would be takin on alot of salary

Anyway, CD and the Rocks should probably get there heads out of there *** and maybe try makin some deals here.....sheesh

Our hands aren't tied, we have pieces to trade, so what the hell is the deal??????:mad:

Sorry everyone, just gettin a little bit frustrated because every other team in the league is steppin up, and we're plain possum or something.............Hell, I'm prayin CD is gonna make me eat my words and apologize publicly in this forum, but I doubt it........

So to get to a point..............Somebody please explain, What are we waitin on.........Trade wise that is

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/107605p-97314c.html

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

Why should CD apologize?

:confused:

3. Sane

Sane Member

You know, it actually says that Nash will not take Mutombo's contract. New Jersey win BIG on this deal. Portland? I don't know if they can find time for Kenyon Martin and Zach Randolph. Mutombo would be good for them, but again, he said Nash wouldn't take Mutombo's contract.

4. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

This would make a good Rasheed trade thread! Here's my input:

Houston trades:
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 17.1 minutes)
    SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.7 minutes)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 24.5 minutes)

Houston receives:
    PF Rasheed Wallace (18.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.1 apg in 36.3 minutes)
    Change in team outlook: -4.0 ppg, -7.0 rpg, and -0.4 apg.

Portland trades:
    PF Rasheed Wallace (18.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.1 apg in 36.3 minutes)

Portland receives:
    C Kelvin Cato (4.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, 0.3 apg in 73 games)
    SF Glen Rice (9.0 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 1.1 apg in 62 games)
    PF Eddie Griffin (8.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 77 games)
    Change in team outlook: +4.0 ppg, +7.0 rpg, and +0.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

5. jshabang

jshabang Member

All these articles are just speculation, not done deals

But my point is not whether they will accept this deal or not, just that, we should be puttin our bid in these trade possibilities also

Mutombos contract is an issue, so lets step in there and make them a better deal

Really its just that I'm intrigued by a Wallace, YAO frontcourt. I dream of it, and think it would be one of the most unstoppable DUOS out there.

All I'm really sayin is Rocks, at least make a attempt like everyone else

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

It amazes me that people keep bashing "CD and Rocks" but don't include the new coach in this.

What? Is JVG a potted plant this summer, and did Les hire JVG and tell him he can't make any decisions.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This makes no sense for Portland. Why would they take on those guys?

Portland needs to let it's bloat contracts expire, that's all. Sabonis, Davis and Stodemire all expire in 2 seasons. Wallace expires this season. The team of the future is McInnis, DA, Bonzi and Randolph, with Q. Woods and Patterson in there. No reason to get K Mart. They need a young center and a point guard.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hmm... you really want to get Portland's attention? Really ?

Trade Steve Francis.

They have to take all our worst contracts back with Steve. That's Mooch and Taylor.

We get Wallace and Mc Innis.

Yao/Cato
    Wallace/EG
    Griffin/Boki/Rice
    Cat/Pike
    McInnis/ minimum.

Different team. Yao's team. No more Steve.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

according to a poster in NBA Dish, 610 just reported a rumor of K Mart and Mutombo for Rasheed and Patterson, that Byron Scott is acknowledging as a possibility.

rumor has it that the new Po land GM (John Nash) wants Martin because he was the GM or drafted him...which is true...he did draft Martin. Ironic thing is, he also drafted Rasheed Wallace while at Washington.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What a shock...

Maybe the front office isn't prepared to tear apart the team and start over just because we were 1 game out of the playoffs last year with a rookie center.

11. Sane

Sane Member

Call me crazy, but I would think of trading Steve if it meant Rasheed Wallace too.

Francis
    Mo Taylor
    Kelvin Cato
    Moochie Norris

for

Rasheed Wallace
    Arvydas Sabonis' CONTRACT
    Damon Stoudamire
    Jeff McInnis

The reason I'd do this?

When talent is equal, you always pick SIZE. Wallace has as much talent as Steve, but he's a legit 6'11 at least. He's 28, and can score as much as Steve. he's a superb compliment to Yao. As for Stoudamire, I know he's not the player he used to be, but when you used to average 25/8, you obviously had some talent. Aside from that, I always LOVED how well Stoudamire worked with Sabonis, and I think we could replicate the SAME things to make Stoudamire more effective. There's always McInnis to take over from him, and when Stoudamire gets into the last year of his contract (next offseason) we will be able to move him EASILY. Sabonis will be cut, and we'll have the best frontcourt in the NBA.

This is basically exchanging Rasheed for Steve, and then exchanging problems.

Yao/Rasheed makes me dream of the championship again. They would be so incredibly good together.

Yao/Wallace
    Wallace/Griffin
    A Griffin/Rice/Boki
    Mobley/Pike
    Stoudamire/McInnis

Why I love trading with Portland:

- They've all been playing in a system where you can't take all the shots you want, and have to share with equally good players.

- They've all played with Sabonis, so they would work well with Yao.

- They have talent with low value.

12. brando

brando Member

Call me crazy, but I would think of trading Steve if it meant Rasheed Wallace too.

Your crazy but so am I because I agree with you . I am all about size (just ask my girlfriend lol) The only problem I have with Rasheed is : is he going to be able to stay outta trouble. If Kobe can do something stupid I guesss Stevie could too so I would do your trade. Every since I saw Steve dribble into 4 defenders , land on his butt all season long, Take really stupid shots I will trade him in a split second but I think he is and will be one of the best guards. If Rasheed is one of the best PF I would take him over Steve. The only question I have is can McInnis pass the ball to a 7`5`` guy? Is he good enough to hit that target lol.

13. jshabang

jshabang Member

That was last year in a strong western conference........and we missed the playoffs

Now most upper tier teams are even stronger.............So now.....

Seriously, I'm not satisfied that we are a playoff team for sure yet.....another move or to would definately push us over the edge

14. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i've heard that the rockets front office have contacted wallace and blazers management by means of postcard regarding his availability. my "insider" sources sent me the a picture of the postcard below:

[​IMG]

15. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

No real gm would trade a Francis who is locked up for 7 years for a player who is only for the next. There is no way to know if we will keep Wallace past next season.

This would be ok if we still had both Francis and Yao. Wallace woul have to play to prove worth resighning. If we had a bigtime pf like sheed we could get away with either Pike, Boki or Agriff at small foward. With what we have we are a bubble playoff team(I want more).

Would giving up Cato, draft pick and Griff be too much for Wallace?

I think its good value but worth us doing. We still have MoT and could keep BADman as a hustle big body. We could find some bigman scrub for center or resighn are own scrub center Collier. We lose alot of defense but we gain a chance to be a dangerous team.

16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If trading stevie gets rid of all the bad contracts you have to think about it.

17. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

no you don't

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Nice, OS! :D

What the hell is that thing anyway?

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Good article from the Portland paper for all you Rasheed fans:

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/106051651986922.xml

Put Wallace on next plane to New Jersey

08/10/03

The Trail Blazers have it all wrong.

They are making a huge mistake by mulling over a trade that would send Rasheed Wallace to New Jersey.

They are thinking about a deal with the Nets.

They should not stop there.

The Blazers should hurry up, shake on it, empty Wallace's locker, place his things in a cardboard box, stick the box on the Rose Garden steps, and then change the locks.

That would be about right.

It has been clear for some time that the season can not start with Wallace on Portland's roster. Not if Blazers management wants anyone to believe things have really changed.

Wallace is in Las Vegas attending a Big Man's Camp, but unless he's receiving a heart transplant, it's not going to help locker room chemistry.

Right now, New Jersey probably would make the deal to send Kenyon Martin and Dikembe Mutumbo to Portland for Wallace and Arvydas Sabonis' contract.

Martin reportedly is asking for a trade.

Let us join him.

Wallace is the team curmudgeon. He is well tolerated, not well liked, by his teammates.

This offseason all the discussion has been about image and character. Blazers president Steve Patterson, a straight shooter with good intentions, has been a breath of fresh air. But if Patterson is the one standing in the way of making this trade, then he's naive and unaware of the positive message getting rid of Wallace would send.

It's difficult to ignore what Wallace symbolizes. He is a talented ballplayer, yes. But he also is a contemptuous, towel-throwing, referee-threatening, mar1juana-smoking franchise icon.

The NBA suspended Wallace for seven games last season after he confronted referee Tim Donaghy outside the Rose Garden after a game.

The Blazers went 5-2 in those games without Wallace, but they somehow missed the obvious lesson.

Forget Patterson's 25-Point Pledge.

Here's a One-Point Pledge for Patterson: Wear the headband, don't let the headband wear you.

M artin, who will make $5.1 million this year, would become a restricted free agent after the season. Mutumbo will make $17.9 million this year and $19.7 million next season.

Martin, who averaged 16.7 points and 8.3 rebounds last season, is New Jersey's vocal leader. He is big on loyalty. The Nets, who inflated payroll this offseason by keeping Jason Kidd and adding Alonzo Mourning, haven't committed to a contract extension for Martin.

Wallace, who makes $17 million, becomes a free agent at the end of the season anyway. Sabonis, 38, has two years and $14 million left on his contract. However, his contract isn't guaranteed until Aug. 15, which means the Blazers or another team can waive him and save money.

But if you're the Blazers, payroll isn't the key factor in this trade.

Portland's locker room chemistry and team leadership would improve overnight. Fans would believe the talk about change is genuine.

And Wallace gets a fresh start, too.

Patterson and general manager John Nash should be giddy and falling all over themselves at the opportunity to make Wallace a part of their first trade. It would give them instant credibility.

If there is an objection to trading Wallace, it should only come from Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks, who doesn't yet have the safety net of a fair contract extension.

By trading Wallace to New Jersey, Cheeks would lose his most talented veteran player and have to start his entire system over. Martin is a competitor and Mutumbo a defensive warrior, but for Cheeks, self-preservation is an issue.

Still, we're talking franchise preservation here.

And if the Blazers are serious about changes, this is one deal that needs to be closed.

20. jshabang

jshabang Member