1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No matter who wins in the general election, climate change deniers will lose.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Northside Storm, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Sacudido

Sacudido Contributing Member

The whole argument is irrelevant. Nothing will be done, and a carbon tax is pointless. I can't wait for someone to step up and tell the entire developing world, "Sorry, but we can't let you reach our standard of living using polluting energy. Oh, and by the way, we also aren't going to use our money to upgrade your energy production to cleaner types."

Who's going to prevent China or India from bringing as many coal plants online as needed to supply their energy needs?

Besides, we know the earth in the past has been much, much warmer than it is today, so just sit back, fire up the air conditioning, and enjoy the ride.

2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

We all lose. The time to try something radical in terms of carbon was the 1970's. The carbon failboat has sailed and is even speeding up.

[​IMG]

Now the question is: when will we globally decide to try something radical like high-atmosphere particles to change our reflectivity, or some other engineering solution?

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yes, he really should've known that based off your non-sarcastic post.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

it wasn't really sarcastic it was a joke from a previous thread that he laughed at himself in.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

casey, my only point is that looking at the big picture is not our strong suit. nyc we be so much cooler if you could jump into the waterways. whatever we can do to not pollute or add to global emmissions, is good. i am not a tree hugger and very, very far from being a saint. however, i have no problem sacrificing the short for the long term. the principle is just to not **** where you eat.

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone truly believes it's false, the just don't want to shatter their indoctrinated belief structure - so they lie about why they don't believe it's true but really it's just because they been instructed to believe it's a liberal/tax raising/commie idea.

7. Bandwagoner

Just realize that water pollution or air pollution that is harmful to humans is much different than climate change from carbon dioxide.

I am a major tree hugger when it comes to water or farm land pollution.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

as i said, it's a matter of principle.

9. Bandwagoner

I would say the indoctrination is much more prevalent on the other side. Not sure what this thread is about though because like was previously said, our carbon emissions will not stop going up.

10. Bandwagoner

if you can expand I would appreciate it. Not **** where eat is the principle?

It just doesn't fit for me.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, I obviously wasn't the only one to take it that way since he called you snippy.

12. Bandwagoner

I don't get it either. It wasn't from that long ago.

13. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

I didn't take it personally, but (just as a rule), I don't like it when people don't address the issue, but address me. People who make a habit out of doing this, I will respond in kind for sure. You don't particularly though, so eh.

I just happen to voice my displeasure with either funny pictures or slight hostility. You unfortunately got the latter. Ah well.

To get to the point back in hand---

???

If you can accept the science behind air and water pollution, why can't you do so for climate change?

Regardless, economists have largely accepted the science, and are moving politics towards this direction.

14. Bandwagoner

Economists (that really seems like a weird word to use here but you did so.....) don't understand the science. Finance understands the political climate and is adapting.

Where pollution came from, what is the effect, how harmful is it to humans, are all very easily understood and measured. 7000 years ago the Songhua River didn't have benzene in harmful quantities, 7 years ago it did.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Climate science ranks right up there with economics and public health for being worthy of skepticism.

Almost entirely based on models and observation, no controlled experiments (public health has some of this), a myriad of confounding variables, heavily dependent on government funding. Lots of dogma and advocacy. The loudest voices are the ones that get the fame and money.

All a recipe for bad science.

1 person likes this.
  16. Classic

Classic Member

If only the ancient Egyptians had a carbon tax perhaps their entire civilization wouldn't be under sand right now. Yes, carbon taxes will save us all from the avoidable climate change that our planet cycles in and out of. Keep fighting the good fight Northside to stay gainfully employed by those who fund the economists to create panic and educate us through the minstry of truth so that we will accept the tax when it is rolled out to save us from ourselves while your financiers and the politicians line their pockets.

17. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

http://news.yahoo.com/climate-change-damage-oceans-cost-2-trillion-013910979.html

Greenhouse gases are likely to result in annual costs of nearly $2 trillion in damage to the oceans by 2100, according to a new Swedish study

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Bandwagoner

They have also had previous predictions. Their models have failed miserably.

20. Bandwagoner

It cites coral reefs as being in danger. Climate change is the last thing coral reefs are worried about, they are dying from dozens of other things already.