1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Fun League vs Marshawn Lynch

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by joeson332, Jan 22, 2015.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Sherman killing it at media day(s) this week. :)

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

And yet, amazingly childish. I get it. He's uncomfortable with it and the press can certainly be annoying and overbearing and the questions (especially in this setting) pointless. However, you are paid millions of dollars that largely come out of the wallets of your fans and they'd like to know your thoughts on some things. Is it really so tough, for 5 freaking minutes, to answer a few questions without coming off like a giant jackass?

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Agreed on all fronts. I don't doubt that Lynch isn't wise and has made mistakes of his own, but the NFL and media folk are being way too harsh. There's nothing reporters hate more than a guy who won't talk to them. "Get DUIs? Test positive for drugs? Hit your wife? Beat your kids? Take part in a murder? That's fine, as long as you give me a soundbite or two. You've had your struggles but I'm sure deep down you're a swell fellow. But, wait... you don't want to talk to me? OMG I HATE YOU YOU'RE THE WORST I HOPE YOU GET FINED AND INJURED AND GO BROKE!" (referring specifically here to the PTI guys and some other ESPN talking heads)

Also, if Lynch has some sort of social anxiety disorder it's absurd to fine him for not talking to media members. Might as well fine players who don't take the field because they have a broken leg.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

He makes money carrying a ball around with guys trying to tackle him.

5. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

Hmm. I was gonna say that I don't buy a jersey because of the way the player speaks to the media. Only because of their performance on the field... but you have a fair point. Some people care what players have to say.

6. leroy

Where does that money come from?

7. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Love Sherman, he's great

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The reporters?

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Lynch makes millions every year. He's able to make that kind of money because thousands of players over many decades have worked hard on and off the field to build the NFL into what it is today. Lynch is really being disrespectful to all the players that did their part to help market the NFL for many years.

I wonder what some of those old time players that never made millions, but live with all the scars of a violent sport, think about Lynch and his childish behavior.

10. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Players should be able to "opt out" of media obligations by forking over a certain percentage of their salary so we don't have to go through this crap.

Lynch is not happy, the media is not happy, the NFL is not happy.

The only people who win here are those who enjoy the farce (which will get old).

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

For real though, a bunch of people who wish they were playing a child's game and getting paid for it.

12. leroy

The companies they work for (CBS, NBC, ESPN/ABC, FOX, the local stations and newspapers that pay money to advertise in the stadiums) definitely pay a portion of his salary.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

LOL at everyone saying he is being disrespectful. Give me a break, have you guys ever heard media day questions? They're so stupid and ridiculous it's like a comedy hour. It's facking tackle football silly media day conference, not a legal hearing for something like that.

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So do I. I don't get unfettered access and expect him to answer my questions with a smile on his face.

And they also report on him playing a child's game.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Players will never opt out if it cost sacrificing salary.

16. leroy

A multi-billion dollar child's game. This, IMO, is the dumbest of the reasons why he shouldn't do it. It's not like this just happened yesterday. The press has been a big part of professional sports for 100 years. Yeah, some of the questions are stupid and it cheapens the event letting the amateurs in. Yeah, some of the time all we get back are answers Craig Biggio would think are boring. But almost all of the players take part and have fun with it. Why is he above it?

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

There are no heroes in this.

Players in general should be required to talk to the media. The media is a big part of what makes the NFL a multi billion dollar industry. Even those questions that some of you think are dumb are entertaining to other people.

The NFL shouldn't be in the position of bullying players into doing something they are totally against doing for legit reasons.

I'm with the other person. The rule should be simple. You need to do interviews with the media that are considered appropriate (no bs one word answers to move along) OR you can opt out of media activities by forfeiting a percentage of your salary.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

If they got fined for showing up and saying "herp derp" then some of them might opt out altogether.

Make the opt-out provision small (relative to the fines) if you choose it as an election at the beginning of the league year.

#38 DonnyMost, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We all have to do stupid crap for our jobs that technically isn't part of our job description. It just comes with the territory for pretty much any job in the world including NFL running-back.

Ultimately, I don't really care either way about all of this. I'm one of those people Donny mentions. I enjoy the farce.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Marshawn Lynch could be subject to significant fine for wearing unauthorized &quot;BeastMode&quot; hat to Media Day, per <a href="https://twitter.com/darrenrovell">@darrenrovell</a> and I.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/560476822165798912">January 28, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.facebook.com/AdamSchefter/posts/897847116934597