1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Deal Dodgers pull out after Carlos can't agree to trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

1) What if his childhood dream was to play baseball just long enough so he could be a rancher?
    2) Considering how much money he has (it appears he is the smart type of athete who invests in good businesses rather than Bentleys and strippers) do you think he really cares about a playoff bonus?

I think its all about lifestyle preferences....and Carlos has the right to stay in Texas if he wants to. I wish he'd waive his clause but its his right not to waive it.

2. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

Huh? The dodgers even with their struggles lately would be in the playoffs if it started today. They'd have the first wildcard spot and have the 3rd best overall record in the league. Kemp and ethier will be back relatively soon and lee, as mediocre a player as he currently is, would be a substantial improvement over the blackhole LA currently has at 1st.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not blaming the Dodgers, but the fact is that at the moment they aren't headed to the post season. So to claim that Lee doesn't care about playing in the post season as if by going to the Dodgers he would be isn't a fair criticism.

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's our right as fans to boo him unmercifully whenever he comes up to bat now as well. All 2k people at the games.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Berkman rejected the White Sox.
    AJ Burnett vetoed going to the Angels (Accepted the Pirates).

6. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

i blame lee for being a douche..He doesn't want to go play for a team that is in the hunt maybe a good postseason run....dont all athletes want to be part of a winning team..

no desire screw the fat pos.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Just trade him to a crap city that isnt on his veto list...even if its for peanuts. That way, not only does he not take up a roster spot, but at least he'd have to go through some of the trouble of being in a new city and away from his ranch.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes it is the right of any fan to be a jerk. It may not be the best thing to do, but it is within the rights of fans.

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

no, i absolutely don't. the poster was using the money being the same as his argument for him not going though. was just pointing out that it wasn't necessarily true anyway.

10. juicystream

How do you know if he doesn't prefer a different contender? He has a month to make a decision (and really 2 months). Sucks for us, but rejecting a trade at the end of June doesn't equal not wanting to play for a contender.

11. juicystream

Increased games in California with a reduction in games in Texas. A big difference in taxes. He'd be losing money in reality.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Wishing ill on a guy who's never done anything wrong to the Astros is very strange for me. It's the Astros fault they gave him the huge contract. He's played well for the Stros. I can't blame Lee for using his clause and not going to a team that may well not even make the playoffs.

I appreciate what he's done for the Astros, and am bummed the Astros had to pay him the huge price they're paying him. I would love to have him traded, but to act like he's turning down a playoff opportunity is silly. And to wish him hardship just to make him go through hardship seems uncalled for.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

this is what i'm hoping for/expecting.

the fact that he "discussed his options with luhnow" seems to indicate this possibility.

14. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

???

He is turning down a playoff opportunity. I dont understand what you're saying. The Dodgers, despite not having a couple of their best players, are currently the wild card leader. When their studs come back, they will start winning again...

In any case, sorry, but its not hardship to get paid 9 million dollars over a few months, to live in a city not named "Houston". Sure, he has every right to reject a trade...but the Astros then have every right to send him to a team that isnt on his no trade clause list. He's a completely pointless player for the Astros. Ive just never seen a professional athlete so unmotivated and unwilling to win. Its sad and pathetic.

15. juicystream

For Carlos, it makes perfect sense.

For us, it risks Lee going into a slump, the Dodgers making a move with another team, and Lee getting injured. It isn't likely we get any better deal than the Dodgers are offering.

I'll just stay hopeful.

16. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

He never has taken care of his body to the degree a professional should and he is showing how little he cares to compete. The whole Dodgers aren't currently in the postseason argument is absolutely idiotic BTW....are they a lot closer than the Astros? Until injuries struck down half their team didn't they have a 7 game lead? Are they in about 100x better positioning to compete this year than the Astros? OK then, it's a valid argument that competing doesn't matter to him.

We have him the no trade clause and yes, he has the right to be a d******d and not care about the team and fans (don't give me that owner pays bull****, if no one is at the games, no one gets paid) that has given him 100 million dollars. He has spent 6 years here playing marginally inspired baseball and he not only doesn't care about the postseason, but he doesn't care about putting a team that has overpaid him in a better position for years so that he can go play competetive baseball in a major market. Does he have the right to be a POS? Sure. But don't try and feed everyone else this idea that they don't have the right to let him know we are displeased with him not giving a damn about us as fans....by booing every move he makes.

It's not like it will affect him, he obviously doesn't respect the game of baseball otherwise he wouldn't have treated his trade and body the way he has. But if he gets to decide to do whatever makes him happy (no matter how pathetic it is, from the standpoint of everything we hold dear in sports) than so do the fans. Period.

3 people like this.
  17. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, i agree - i'm saying he may have asked if they will explore other teams if he rejects dodgers/before he accepts dodgers.

18. juicystream

Like I said earlier, just because he doesn't want to go to the Dodgers today, doesn't mean he won't go to a contender, including the Dodgers. If the Dodgers are in the same position, and healthy again, he may accept a deal to them next month.

From Carlos' perspective, he can't carry the Dodgers by himself. With a similar roster plus Kiroda, the Dodgers were barely over .500 last year. Since he will clear waivers, he has until August 31st to be moved.

I'd guess his preference would be to go to the Rangers. Keeps him in Texas, with a team he used to play for, and gives him a great shot at the WS. Obviously Texas doesn't need him, but if they suffer a major injury, they may make that kind of move.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Stop saying the Dodgers are a playoff opportunity. The momentum for the team isn't upward. It's possible that given once all of their guys are back, Lee doesn't play anymore and then he's hurt his value for signing next season.

I'd like Lee traded, but I won't be mad at him for not going to the Dodgers. He may or may not be unmotivated to win, but not going to the Dodgers isn't proof of lack of motivation to win.

20. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Are the in a better spot than the Astros to go to the playoffs? Were they in a large lead before injuries decimated them? Seriously, STFU your argument that they aren't in the chase for the playoffs is truly idiotic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.