1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Deal Dodgers pull out after Carlos can't agree to trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I think Lee would be happy getting pulled from the lineup so he can sit the bench and still get paid. I'm with what someone else said, send him to the minors.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Lee's a bum, always has been. For a pro athlete not to try to be in the best shape possible and not to want to win is despicable.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

No one else to blame buy Drayton. He gave Lee a no trade clause and Lee has the right to use it.

4. rsx_htown

rsx_htown Contributing Member

Have they mentioned what the dodgers offered for lee?

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If he hadn't, Lee would have a full trade clause today.

6. Major

Major Member

As a veteran, I don't think they can send him to the minors. They could, however, offer to pay his salary and trade him to one of the 15 teams that he didn't waive. Pick a last place type team and ship him there. If doesn't report, no one has to pay his salary.

7. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Wow, Carlos doesn't deserve this vitriol. (Even if he had already decided to veto the trade, which, as Cat points out, he hasn't.)

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

MLB Network is reporting he will not waive his no-trade clause.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

The Rockets can't get anyone to come here and the Astros can't get anyone to leave.

1 person likes this.
  10. delishman

delishman Member

Can't use some language on Twitter and Clutchfans.

(Cider) House rules.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The worst kind of athlete...cant believe someone can be so unmotivated to win, specially when its possibly the last few months of your professional career.

I really, really hope he doesnt step on the field for the rest of the season for the Astros.

12. cardpire

cardpire Member

too late.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lee's always been a nice guy, who overall has played really well. There have been a couple of slumps, but often he's been the one bright spot in the Stros lineup the past couple of years.

He's been vastly overpaid. The only reason I'd want Lee traded would be because of his salary.

I don't understand the ill will so many people send towards him. He doesn't deserve that.

I can't blame the guy because he wants to stay in Houston.

I don't understand the grip against him that he's not going there because of the Dodgers making the post season.

Have you seen the Dodgers lately? They aren't currently in the post season were it to start today, and they don't look like they're headed that way.

Things can change, and obviously they're trying to make it happen. But it's not like going there would assure Lee the chance to play on a contending team destined for the post season.

I understand being upset that we couldn't make the trade, but Lee isn't the guy who anyone should be taking it out on.

#93 FranchiseBlade, Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I like what Wessling writes, if Lee doesn't waive his clause then it must mean he's planning on retiring no GM will want a player who doesn't want to contend.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are the Dodgers contending? Wessling sounds sorely mistaken.

16. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'd almost say bench his ass for the rest of the season, but I doubt that would bother him at all.

EDIT* I'd offer him to a crappy team not on his no-trade list for a bag of doritos. That way he gets to finish his season (and probably career) in some random city playing (/not playing) for a crappy team.

17. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

Once again, it's time to lay off with some of the CF hate.

If your employer came up to you and said:
    "We have the opportunity to save the company a lot of money by moving you across the country. Don't worry, you're still gonna get the same salary, but we need you to cross out that little part of your contract that says we can't send you to this place. Cool? Also, the stockholders (~fans) want you to leave immediately."

Yes, for the sake of our baseball team, I would like to trade Carlos and get some value back in return. But, the man has the right to at least have some time to think it over. He's got a family and kids, at least one of which I know gets care in the medical center. Hopefully, he decides to waive the no-trade clause, but there's no reason to spew so much hate if he chooses not to.

18. cardpire

cardpire Member

apples to oranges.

desk jobs don't come with the "playing for the childhood dream of playing in postseason and trying to win a world series" factor attached to it.

also, he wouldn't get paid the same anyway, he'd have a shot at a postseason bonus, which he doesn't have here.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Dude, the Dodgers havent been playing with Kemp, Ethier, Ellis, etc... Thats like taking LeBron away from the Heat and expecting them to keep winning.

20. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I don't buy that argument. You play the game to win championships; that's the point of sports. He's not just some 9-5 guy working for a paycheck (or isn't supposed to be).

For the guy to basically say he'd rather not play for a contender because it upsets his cushy lifestyle, that's upsetting. Across every sport veterans all but beg to be traded to a contending team late their careers. Yet Carlos is content to play for a mediocre team here when a trade could really help the team. He has earned (negotiated) the right to choose, but I don't have to like it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.