1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Deal Dodgers pull out after Carlos can't agree to trade

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rikesh316, Jun 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why would it be huge to unload his salary? Just to save money for saving money's sake? As a fan I'd rather get some prospects.

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

ESPN said its unlikely he waives his trade clause. Bummer.
    Well, its his contract, if he wants to chill in Texas for $9 million...nothing the Astros can really do about it.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

It's a partial no trade clause I believe. 15 teams he can't block a trade to.

ESPN: Lee may veto trade

The Los Angeles Dodgers are looking for a bat to help their anemic offense, and Houston Astros first baseman Carlos Lee doesn't think he wants to be that guy.

Lee told MLB.com that he has been informed by Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow that the Dodgers made an offer for him. Since he has a limited no-trade clause, he would have to approve the deal.

Lee has told the Astros, though, that he doesn't want to waive the no-trade clause, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

#63 J.R., Jun 30, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  4. Major

Major Member

How disinterested do you have to be to not want to even try to play for a winner for 3 months because you'd have to leave Houston? I understand last year and not wanting to be stuck in some other city for 1.5 years. But really, this would be 3 months - and half of that is on the road while with the Astros anyway.

If there were ever a player that's demonstrated zero interest in competing/winning, it seems to be Carlos Lee.

3 people like this.
  5. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Repped.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's for sure. It would be great to do both but unloading part of the salary could help the Astros make better moves that would also be good for the team.

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What a loser...you're baseball career is coming to an end and you have a chance to go for it and push hard for a couple months...and you decide its easier to just sit still and lose.

No respect for the game and for the spirit of competition.

Unless he changes his mind, Ive lost any ounce of respect I had left for him.

8. Nook

Nook Member

That is fine, he bargained for and received the right to veto trades as part of the CBA and being a 10/5 player.

By the same token I hope the Astros exercise their right, and not play him anymore. He is not a part of their long term goals. Let him rot on the vine.

9. RocketsFan11

RocketsFan11 Member

The deal is agreed to and we would get the Dodgers #6 prospect Garrett Gould, and another player I believe, but Carlos won't waive his NC clause.

So this dude has stolen $100M from us, now he won't help us by going to play for a contender for a couple months?

What a lazy bum. I think he goes down as the worst FA signing in Astros history.

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

am i crazy, or is it entirely possibly that he doesn't want to go there because he'd be risking playing into the postseason and losing precious "bull time"? i envision his 15 team no-trade list consisting of the 15 best teams in baseball.

he's going to live there for 1.5 months, and be on the road for 1.5 months (just like he would for any other team in baseball). the team really should be immaterial to him.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

From April:

Trading first baseman Carlos Lee won’t be easy for the Houston Astros. But the
    restrictions on the team are less severe than they could have been.

Lee, a player with 10 years of major-league service, the last five with the same team, technically has enough service time to block any deal.

However, Lee, made a trade of his own at the time he signed his six-year, $100 million free-agent contract with the Astros in Nov. 2006.

He agreed to waive his 10-and-5 rights in exchange for a full no-trade clause for the first four years and partial no-trade protection in the final two.

Baseball’s labor agreement allows players who sign multi-year contracts before achieving 10-and-5 status to accept such a tradeoff, but only if they get specified partial no-trade protection in return.

Lee, 35, can block deals to 14 teams this season, the final year of his contract, major-league sources say. He also had the right to veto trades to 14 teams last season. Each year, he was required to give the Astros a list of teams to which he would not approve a trade.

The details of Lee’s list are not known, and his $18.5 million salary this season adds to the Astros’ degree of difficulty in trying to trade him.

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It is pretty normal to pick the most likely teams that would deal for you. It would probably be pointless to have a refusal to the Twins or Royals.

13. conquistador#11

see not everybody hates houston. lots of good food here!

1 person likes this.
  14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

What a piece of ****.

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Un-fking-believable. If Mills puts him in the lineup at all after today, he needs to go too.

Carlos Lee would rather lose here and get his checks than possibly help out a team that wants to make a playoff run. Not only is that flat-out lazy, that's totally selfish.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Carlos Lee is more likely to accept a deal like this at July 31. I think he gets moved, unless he gets hurt.

Luhnow needs to tell Mills that Lee sits on the bench.

17. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Did I miss something? When did Carlos say he wouldn't accept the trade? Everything I've read says that he's thinking it over, which he's entitled to do.

18. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Lee negotiated a no trade clause when he signed his deal and he has every right to use it. Astros have every right to bench him so they can take a look at younger guys. In the end, I think he gets moved either near the trade deadline or sometime in August.

19. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Yeah d******d....this is a new season. Obviously I meant the ball rolling for this trade deadline. Let me guess, I offended/embarrassed you in some past thread and now you are here trying to find a cheap shot?

Once Lowrie and Lee are gone, we can focus on Myers and Rodriguez....guys who have the potential to net some good, solid talent as well.

20. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8...ros-carlos-lee-veto-trade-los-angeles-dodgers

That fat POS is going to veto....and I hope we boo him for every AB until the end of the season. To have to give up 3 months of your time to taste the postseason for the first time in 4 years and he has to be convinced. What a truly lousy athlete. He chose to not take care of his body and now he chooses to not even want to compete. Disgusting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.