1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nnamdi Asomugha is Available, Make the Play Texans!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rockets934life, Oct 17, 2010.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Trading multiple 1st round picks or even a 1st and 2nd rarely workouts. It may help in the short-term but in the long term is going bite you. The Cowboys traded two #1s for Joey Galloway and they didn't workout. They did the same thing for Roy Willliams and that hasn't worked out yet for the most part. The Bears traded two 1s and Kyle Orton for Jay Cutler and that trade looks bad. In addition to giving the Raiders the draft picks you have to pay a HUGE salary which isn't good value. The Raiders signed Nnamdi Asomugha to a bad deal. Of the top 5 highest paid players in the NFL, he is the only non-QB. If Nnamdi Asomugha was on the open market right now, no team would sign him for that deal. So why a team take on that contract and pay draft picks as well?

2. DarylMoney

DarylMoney Member

Yeah no kidding...he has a standard template that he simply updates with their current record each week.

Texans will win 0 games this year. Wait Texans will win 1 game this year, just look at their brutal schedule."

Sorry bubba, take that jazz elsewhere. You can hate on the defense all you want but the fact remains that through nearly 40% of the season we are in first place in our division and haven't lost a game to an AFC opponent. There are about 20 other teams that would gladly take a 4-2 record.

Give me your favorite team and I will talk about all their shortfalls and then make a season win prediction each week that is based on pure garbage.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I feel bad for that guy, might as well not show his face in any football related threads ever again after that.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Are Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, and Jay Cutler anywhere close to as talented as Nnamdi?

Nope.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The Texans have had to fight their butts off to take a victory over the Chiefs, Raiders and Redskins.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

/Kareem Jackson faints

7. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Trust me I am a Morey fan but don't crown him until he wins something. You can't compare an NBA GM to a NFL GM anyways. It's totally different. You say if the Texans lost Schaub and Johnson they would be terrible. No **** so would any team in the NFL if they lost their starting QB and best offensive player. If the Colts lost Peyton, they would be lucky to win a game.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Seriously. That post was so bad I forwaded to friends and nobody believed he was serious.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think you can use "2 reasons why it's stupid to have your owner also be your gm" as a reason not to do it. I also think the Bears way overreached and Orton is proving it with his play.

Donny is right. Nnamdi is way more talented and has way more value than those 3 combined.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

All 3 were in the prime of their careers. Out of Joey Galloway's first 4 seasons in Seattle, he had three 1000 yard seasons and two with 10 plus TDs. Roy Williams played with terrible QBs with the Lions and still had solid seasons. Jay Cutler was a Pro Bowl QB before he got traded. They weren't as good as Nnamdi but they were all good Pro-Bowl type players. All I am saying is Nnamdi is a very good player but he isn't worth money he makes and plus the picks it would probably take to get him. His contract is so bad that it wouldn't shock me if the Raiders cut him next offseason depending what happens with the new CBA.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

If they went after either player, they would (in McNair's mind) be admitting they made a mistake in 1) throwing KJ into the fire his first year and 2) drafting Okoye.

This franchise has a problem admitting mistakes. See David Carr.

No, we're not going to do anything this week. Trust me. Like Kubiak said in an interview last night when asked about the defensive problems, "we're just going to work though it."

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Because I don't like when posters are just slammed, here's why people are ripping you apart:

-CBs don't usually get gaudy INT numbers, safeties do. CBs are playing the receiver, safeties play on the ball.

-He doesn't have big numbers, period, because no one in their right mind throws his direction. He doesn't have many tackles because his man rarely gets the ball.

-He's been to the Pro Bowl the last 3 years and hasn't lost a step.

-It's indisputable that he's a top 3 CB today, and most would agree that he's the single best.

-At 6-2, he's got rare size to defend bigger receivers. Most CBs today are under six feet, facing #1s like Randy Moss (6-4), Andre Johnson (6-3), Mills Austin (6-2), etc

13. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Nnamdi Asomugha is probably still a top 5 cornerback in the NFL. He rarely gets thrown at but we does, over the past 21 games, he has given up 339 yards on 37 passes directed his way. That is 9.2 YPA. By comparsion so far this year, Brandon Flowers has given up 2.6 YPA this year. Revis gave up 3.6 YPA last year. Quentin Jammer has given up 5.2 YPA. I still believe Nnamdi is a elite CB but has he played his best football already? The answer is probably yes.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=joyner_kc&id=5681251

14. King1

I have to say I'm really surprised at some of the objections to the Aso trade on here because there are a lot of intelligent posters in here.

Let's say we can add Aso for a 1 and 2, why in the world would you not do that immediately? I wouldn't even bat an eye. I understand the contract concern and the cap hit we take. That said, it's not as bad as people think. With no guaranteed contracts you can cut players. We could easily make it work. Aso's contract is not going to effect us reupping guys like Mario, and as much as really like Pollard, we seriously overrate him here. I want to keep him but he's not going to break the bank when it's contract time. We will be able to keep him at an affordable price. Aso, Quinn, Pollard and let's say Nolan because he'd be my pick turns the worst secondary in the NFL into a top 10-15 one in my opinion. Jackson can play nickel and still get his reps and learn. No brainer. This is all obviously contingent on Aso really being available for that price.

Haynesworth can be had. Throw the Redskins a third and Slaton and I think they do it. I hate the guy, but nobody can deny he's talented. Plus, he'll have something to prove and we run a 4-3. Mario, Albert, Smith and Amobi are all of a sudden a formidable front four.

I'm aware that players of Aso's and Haynesworths stature don't normally switch teams but it seems like they are realistically available at the moment. I think adding those two guys makes us a very dangerous Playoff team this year and the ability to become Superbowl contenders next season.

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Give me the guy that teams are scared to throw at, Flowers is a good corner but Andre exposed him yesterday as just a GOOD corner not elite. Revis is struggling this year but I would say he is better then Aso and that is it.

16. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I think Revis has struggled early this season for his standards because he held of camp and than had the hammy injury. Flowers is very good. Some AJ's catches were on Brandon Carr yesterday as well but in the 4th when AJ has some big catches he was covered by Flowers. If had to choose between trading for Aso or Big Al, I would choose Al.

17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think you go after Haynesworth now, too, because of the loss of Demeco. Haynesworth, when motivated, is a monster against the run and pass...opening up holes for the LB's to make plays. He has to be double teamed. Probably opens up things for Mario and Smith as well. I think he can be had for a reasonable deal. It's something that should be seriously considered in the next 24 hours.

18. King1

I'm also a Lions fan and you're not completely correct on Roy. There isn't a Lions fan in the world who was not celebrating in the streets after that trade. That was a Khan type moment by Jerry. Roy was good but certainly not great. He dropped passes, quit on routes and had an attitude problem.

I wouldn't have made the Cutler trade personally but I understand it. Orton has always been undervalued and he fit in their system very well. That said, Cutler has top 5 QB talent just a .10 brain and attitude. The Bears swung for the fences and so far it has not worked.

Aso is overpaid but he literally shuts down an entire side of the field. Qb's just don't throw at him period. That's worth a 1 and a 2 and I'll worry about his cap number when it comes to that. We have all the talent in world on offense, but our defense has consistantly been terrible. For all the fans whining about our shortcomings, "fake' 4-2 record (which I find to be ridiculous), how anyone wouldn't want to add Aso for a couple of draft picks or haynesworth for a 3 and backup RB who has been reduced to a ****ty kick returner is beyond me.

19. King1

Very well said. I completely agree. He instantly makes other players better with his presence. Look at what Mario has done this year. He's been a beast and he's playing hurt. Teams like the Giants can take him out of the game at certain times ,but the addition of Haynesworth changes that immediately. If I was mario I'd be in Bob's office begging for a Haynesworth trade

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Frankly, I think we need both. I think Fat Albert would help our front seven tremendously, as he's the protypical 4-3 tackle... something we've never really had. The cushion or wide pocket that QB's are getting against us would all but dissappear if you could pair Al, who can take up 2 blockers, with a speedier, pass rushing tackle like Okoye (or what we think Okoye should be).

As far as adding someone in the secondary, is there someone out there that would come cheaper than Aso? Almost any starting CB in the league with more than 1 year of experiece would likely be an upgrade over Kareem Jackson. While I'd love to have Nnamdi on the team, we could concievably go after lower tiered player... allowing us to improve, keep our upper round picks, and not be stuck with an outrageous contract.

I don't know anyone that would fit that bill, but if anyone else here does, it'd be fun to toss their name around. They'd have to come from a rebuilding team and be on the wrong side of 30 most likely...