1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nj.com]The Most Undeserving Championship Team In NBA History

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Jun 19, 2009.

1. goodbug

goodbug Contributing Member

There's no such team undeserving. In recent history, Spurs had Dirk and Webb injured and out of playoff in their 2005 championship run. Heat had refs handed Wade 16 ft per game in the finals and nobody called them undeserving. History is written for winners and winners only. In 10 years, they'll be legacy and nobody remembers how championships were won.

2. goodbug

Rox caught Lakers in surprise in game 4, when they thought it'd be a cake walk. And game 6's just a bad game for Lakers, no one could shoot early. They didn't play the hardest they could after game 3, after they held the HCA and had every home game an easy win.

Consider Lakers were 2:1 with YM playing, it's not like YM would be the difference maker in that series.

3. LakersForever

LakersForever Member

They won, they deserved it. Simple as that. Injuries are not an excuse.

4. ThaBlackKnight

I agree that the Lakers did deserve to win the title. They beat who was in front of them. Thats all any playoff team can do. They won 16 games, a feat no other team did.

But to say Yao Ming wouldn't have been a difference?? Thats just not accurate. The man played 24 minutes on a broken foot and the Rockets were still in the game until the last couple of minutes.

Yao draws so much attention, he makes a high % of his shots, and he will make Gasol work. He is also a presence in the middle on defense. On top of all that, is a great free throw shooter.

Yao is a world of difference. In my opinion the Rockets win the series with Yao Ming playing.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think it is more accurate to say that they are possibly the worst team to win a championship.

6. LakersForever

LakersForever Member

I doubt it, but I don't think that is comparable. We can throw up hypotheticals all day, but in the end there is simply what happened.

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would say it is the weakest Laker team to win a title.
    Not as good as the Shaq teams or the Magic Teams.

8. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Deserving or Undeserving, the most important thing is that they are the 2009 NBA Champions. No one can take that from them. People can say everything but in the official records of the league, they are the champions.

9. albuster

albuster Member

Totally agree. All NBA champions deserve their titles, no ands , ifs or buts. It is difficult enough to win during the 82 game season wherein anything could happen, how much more during the playoffs where every team is at their best and gunning for each other with high octane intensity.

It is easy for someone to write that nonsense about "the undeserved championship" if the writer never played in the playoffs, but just ask the players and coaches who actually played in the post season. They would never question the legitimacy of the eventual champions. They know better. It is not a walk in the park to win the NBA championship regardless of the circumstances and we need to respect the teams who made it there.

Of course I still cannot forget the dirty plays of Kobe, Vuyabitch and Fisher in their series versus the Rockets. I wish the Rockets would play them again next year in the playoffs with both teams healthy (the Rockets without McGrady for good). I think, with Mr. Morey doing his thing this summer, the Rockets will beat their behinds.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL what you talking about? THe weakest champion for the last decade was the Miami Heat featuring Dwyane "fall down get a free throw" Wade and broken down Shaq. The Lakers team when motivated is probably one of the strongest ever. Once Bynum's back to full strength and Kupchak adds some more depth at their reserve positions I'm not sure anyone can stop them at all.

11. Steve_Francis_rules

How many years are we going to have to hear the "once Bynum's healthy" before people realize that he's just injury prone? I believe that it was after two consecutive injury-plagued years (following three seasons without missing games) that everyone started doubting Yao's ability to stay healthy.

12. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I hate the Lakers as much as anyone, but this was written purely out of bias. Way off base.

So the Lakers had nothing to do with those stupid mistakes I guess? You can't call a team undeserving just because another team makes mistakes. It's not like it went down to the last possession in Game 7 and JR Smith decided to pull up from mid-court.

Since athletic, defensive-minded 6'7" players are so easy to come by. Ha. He also forgot that said player can't be a stiff on offense either. You can't play four on five.

They weren't a fun team to watch or one that you wanted to root for, an weren't exactly a great example of TEAM play, but they did win it all. At least give them that.

13. goodbug

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

i just really think there was not great team this year. This Lakers team is a good team, but most definitely not a great one. I have never seen a team as soft as this years Lakers win a championship with guys like Pau Gasol, Andrew Bynum, Lamar Odom. I think almost any other championship team would have beat them, but there really was no other team that could challenge them this particular year. If Houston or San Antonio were healthy it may have been a different story. I really just think it was a a down year in the nba for some reason.

15. kpsta

kpsta Contributing Member

Undeserving? I can make that argument of the grounds that they're all douchebags, and that no douchbag should ever win a championship... but douchebags have won titles before in many sports unfortunately.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

^^^
    Best take I've seen so far in this thread.

17. adoo

adoo Member

If pigs can fly.

if Lakers were healthy last year, they're would have beaten the Celts in the Finals. As it was---no Bynum, no Arriza---the Lakers couldnot withstand the pressure applied by Celts.

18. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

This is bad writing. It sounds like it's written by an amateur.

19. LakersForever

LakersForever Member

According to reports, both of Bynum's injuries are uncommon ones and that neither presents a case of being truly injury prone. Both were described as "freak injuries."

20. LakersForever

LakersForever Member

Unless someone has some magical access to the locker rooms and personal lives of the players of any team. I find these sort of comments hard to believe. Beyond those players who make their attitude issues a matter of public record.