1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NIMBY: Drill Baby Drill

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Dec 9, 2009.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

The USA produces more than triple what Brazil produces. We just use it all up. There's just too many cars in the USA. Even if the USA required all vehicles be retrofitted to use ethanol like Brazil, there would be the problem of not enough ethanol.

2. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i appreciate the serious reply, i'm just not going to bother clicking a link to "democrats.senate.gov." with all due courtesy, it's a waste of (my) time.

the larger point however, is your argument appears (to me) to be based on an argument i wasn't making. whatever may or may not be going on in the gulf, it's irrelevant to what is actually happening (or rather, NOT happening) in Colorado shale oil fields, or on the north slope.

and i'm really not trying to turn this into an obama bashing exercise, it's really more the democratic party, and i found it interesting that Soros, who i think you would agree has taken an aggressive stance contra republicans, and against development of carbon-based energy alternatives in this country, is apparently not so disposed on a global scale, meaning, his opposition here is based purely on politics, and not on any environmental concerns.

3. BetterThanEver

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-oil-production-to-rise-the-most-in-39-years-2009-11-27

4. BetterThanEver

US Oil production is expanding at a record not seen since 1970. Apparently, Exxon-Mobil does more with O than Dubya.

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

forget actual numbers, forget that there's an actual oil glut right now, forget we are importing less and producing more than last year

George Soros owns the dems and invested with petrobras, that's the real issue

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

what do you mean not drilling in colorado

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LOL - pg, I don't know how much clearer this glaring hypocrisy has to be spelled out for you.

Democrats allow states to ban coastal drilling to preserve their seashore.

Then, the Democrats* turn around and start drilling off the coast** - the exact same thing in Brazil.

Hence the hypocrisy alleged here -"NIMBY" - "not in my backyard, but ok if it's in Brazil's backyard."

*By "democrats", he actually means the Brazilian state oil company, PetroBras, in which certain entities controlled by Soros Fund Management, own shares, which are controlled by George Soros, who happens to be a Democrat. Basically, Obama = Democrat = Soros = Soros Fund = PetroBras. Did you ever see the movie "Syriana"? Well, the tagline for that movie was "they're all connected". Get it?

**By "off the coast", he actually means 200 miles offshore in deep water in the South Atlantic ocean.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

exactly

9. BetterThanEver

They are starting at a very small base(produces less than 1/3 of the oil) with a state-owned monopoly.

There has always been a difference between investing a developed country or an emerging market. Emerging markets have more room for growth and have a smaller base. Think of South Korea and the amazing growth that occured in their transition from emerging market to developed country status. Combine the small base, undeveloped potential, and a state-owned monopoly=great growth.

In the USA, the Feds don't own Chevron, Exxon-Mobil, BP, etc. The USA has always outproduced Brazil. Maybe Obama should nationalize all these oil companies and merge into the Obama Oil company that will be largest oil company, if you want a state-owned oil monopoly.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

fed approves natural gas pipelines from rockies