1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NIKEstrad's 1st Round Mock

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by NIKEstrad, Apr 15, 2000.

1. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

1. LA Clippers-Kenyon Martin: They can't screw this up. Obvious choice right here.
    2. Chicago-Chris Mihm: I don't see him becoming a star, but Chicago needs someone better than the stiff centers they're putting out right now.
    3. Orlando-Dermarr Johnson: He'll go nice with Maggette. If they get Duncan, look out.
    4. Vancouver-Marcus Fizer: Othella is unhappy there. The team is set 1-3, just needs big men.
    5. Atlanta-Stromile Swift: I still think he could be coming out. He's gonna be really good.
    6. Chicago-Courtney Alexander: Got their PF, have Mihm, McGrady looks like a lock. All they need now is a PG.
    7. Cleveland-Mike Miller: Need some youth to help out Andre. Miller sure is talented.
    8. New Jersey-Darius Miles: Williams, Van Horn, Miles, Kittles, Marbury looks good on paper.
    9. Orlando-Keyon Dooling: Lots of people saying Armstrong won't be their long term PG.
    10. Boston-Joel Pryzbilla: They need a presence down low, and well....this is about what's it.
    11. Houston-Olumide Oyededji: Let me say, I'm a Rockets fan...and other than Charles, we don't have a single player averaging 7 or more rebounds per game. Ouch. Raw player, but good on defense, and could maybe spark Cato on offense. Hakeem likely would back this pick.
    12. Dallas-Erick Barkley: Jury is still out on Nash. Mavs also could pull a foreigner here.
    13. Orlando-Jerome Moiso: Now they grab a bigger guy. Dooling, Johnson, Moiso is a pretty sick draft. (Note: Doc has said if the Magic make the playoffs they'll send this pick to Houston)
    14. Milwaukee-Morris Peterson: Best player on the board. Would pick a big man, but I see limited options.
    15. Detroit-Quentin Richardson: Slipped to here. He can't slip further, and there's not a halfway decent big man on the board.
    16. L.A. Clippers-Mateen Cleeves: They need a PG. REALLY bad.
    17. Seattle-Jason Collier: Baker is sad, Lewis is a FA. Collier is what it's down to for big men.
    18. Sacramento-Desmond Mason: Ideal pick. Another person for JDubb to throw lobs to.
    19. Charlotte-Ernest Brown: If they can deal DC they'll do it in a heartbeat. With Mason playing different things, Brown is a nice pick to share time with Campbell.
    20. Philadalphia-Etan Thomas: Still trying to find a big man.
    21. Toronto-Ed Cota: Reuniting him with Carter. It worked for Vancouver. Wait a minute....
    22. New York-Scoonie Penn: Likely better than what they have. They're pretty good everywhere else.
    23. Chicago-Jaron Rush: Solid player here. Still no PG answer, that's what their many 2nd rounders are for.
    24. Utah-Matt Santangelo: Now isn't that great that Stockton and Santangelo are united?
    25. Phoenix-Mamadou N'diaye: Need anything but Longley
    26. Utah-Michael Redd: Still trying to get younger, as they continue with their usual "swingman" pick.
    27. Portland-Chris Porter: Another athletic player. Porter is the wild card, could be a mid lottery, or a mid 2nd rounder. (Ok, early 2nd rounder)
    28. Indiana-Corey Hightower: Brown's teammate is picked. They could use a center to back Smits, but I don't see any worthwhile ones.
    29. LA Lakers- Jabari Smith: Still have no big man who can play that's not named Shaq. How about another LSU guy?

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Just because on nbadraft.net says houston will take him doesnt mean the rockets will. First of all, OLAYSAJKFHSK HASOAPSIA will not be a rocket. If he has no offensive game then the rockets wont take him.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Francis3, we're at eleven. miracles will have to occur for us to get Kenyon.

whew.

Olumide seems to be a good fit. He blocks and rebounds, which is an improvement over Cato. He has an outside game and looks long. His 14ppg in Russia was fair, although I could give a crap about his offense. Have you noticed that 90%+ of the Rockets scoring has come from the first 4 positions to begin with? If we don't get a miracle pick then why not?

I just want somebody to grab boards and has a little more common sense than Cato (did you see his fall for that pump fake onto Eisley? the guy's 6'2" stay on the ground fool)

sorry for the bold.

------------------

4. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I didn't look at nbadraft.net.

I look at the Rockets, and we've got players who can score on the team. Thomas plays poor defense (well he tries, but he's 2-3 inches shorter than most PFs, so he often gets burned), and we have no rebounders. What does Oyededji do? Rebounds, and plays tough D. He can learn offense. Look at how Othella's offense improved. We happen to have a great staff when it comes to working with big men.

------------------

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Then lets wait and work with cato before jumping the ship.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

6. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I do want to keep Cato in addition.

But, would a front line of Cato-Oyededji-Rashard Lewis (if we were able to sign him) not be a pretty fearsome group?

Teams are getting taller front lines. How can Cato-Thomas compete vs. Robinson-Duncan? It really can't. Cato-Oyededji on the other hand is scary on the glass, and on defense.

We can also use Thomas for spurts on the bench. Right now, who is our backup center, when Cato is playing poorly, or in foul trouble? Pig Miller? Oyededji isn't quite a center, but I'm a lot more comfortable with him on say Shaq, than I would be with KT or Los.

------------------

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

One thing to add....

The Mavericks should not even think or look for guards....they only have Pack, Nash, Davis, Strickland, Buckner, Jones, Finley, and now Roderick Rhodes.

I am going to go out on a limb and say the Mavs are looking for SF, PF and C.

------------------
    HOOP-T

Hey Shaq, Acme called, and they want their bricks back!