1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nike Hoops Summit All-Star Game

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Dr of Dunk, Apr 2, 2000.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Did anybody watch this all-star game on ESPN? The US high school all-stars vs. international all-stars. There's a Nigerian kid on the international squad that really has a nice post-up game. His last name is Oyediji. This guy's got a meanstreak inside the paint and has been banging pretty hard with Zach Randolph. He just elbowed Darius Miles in the face. Really physical player with some nice inside moves. He's FAR more polished than what Hakeem was at the same age (at least at the offensive end). He kind of reminds me of the old Larry Johnson down low.

Randolph's got some nice moves and many seem to say he's an Elton Brand-type player. He scored 24 points and 8 rebs.

Darius Rice (nephew or cousin of Jerry Rice from what I remember) has a really nice all-around game on offense. Saw some ability to pop long-range bombs.

Then of course, there's Darius Miles. The guy runs on diesel fuel. I haven't seen a player that just runs and guns non-stop like this kid since Kevin Garnett. He plays above the rim (that's an understatement). At 6'9", they've got him running the court, bringing the ball up the court, leading the break, and guarding opposing point guards who are 6-8 inches shorter than him.

According to the broadcast, Miles said he'll go straight to the NBA if he is a lottery pick.

The US high schoolers just won by 1 point 98-97. Nice showcase of talent worldwide and in the US.

------------------
    <this space for rent>

2. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Did you see Miles??? Granted he has no outside shot, but this guy is perfect for ISO. Rudy must be all over this guy. [​IMG]

------------------
    Check out the best source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was Yao Ming playing (The big 7'6'' European Center)?

I heard he can shoot a 3 with his size. Nelson must love him over in Dallas.

Miles would make a nice Small Forward if Mobley left. People could tell him he's lottery, then he drops, like Rashard Lewis.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. rocketsfan34

Unfortunely Yao Ming was not let out by China.

------------------

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited April 02, 2000).]

5. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Oops. I've heard Korean, Japanese, and Chinese before, and messed up by saying Europe, not Asia. It all used to be Eurasia anyway [​IMG]

------------------

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Parade magazine is out with their all-american issue. Mentions Darius Mills and Gerald Wallace both want in the NBA.

Eddie Griffin is Player of the year.

So, anyone else like Mills. He's supposed to love defense too. Averaged 9 blocks per game!! I'd certainly invite him in for a looksee.

7. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I wouldn't mind us drafting Miles. but I would prefer Wallace. Wallace is already the size of Quitten, so he can match up with other threes, and he has handles and a shot. I hope that we can get one of the players that are mentioned here (Wallace or Miles) as well as a post in the draft.

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

If we got a HSer, Griffin would be my first choice. 6'9'' PF. Exactly our need. But he's headed to college I believe.

Miles is 6'9'' too right or isn't he 6'8''? But he's more of a guard type anyhow. Wallace is a SF.

In this draft, with this team, I wouldn't be opposed to one of these high ceiling prospects, that is a forward....

------------------

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

they have Wallace at 6'7"

Miles at 6'9"

He played center in HS. I talked to some friends back in Illinois who say he can play anywhere...and has. In otherwords, it is futile to stereotype him, right now at least.

Didn't they say McGrady was supposed to project as a PG in the NBA as well.

I'm in big favor of drafting anyone with electrifying athleticism. I don't care how soon they materialize as NBA talent. Reason is: the hoppers in the league will always be of trade value early in their careers, because they make ESPN and will sell seats. So, if he doesn't pan out, chances are we can keep that a secret early in his career, feature him in alley-oops only, and still get top trade value out of him.

This is why I think the tweeners like Fizer are more a risk...than the jumping HSers.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 02, 2000).]

10. rocketsfan34

Actually Miles is a legit SF. 6'9" defensive stud, high flyer, but right now he could improve his perimeter game. His game is very similar to McGrady in the sense that neither can hit the outside jumper, but both can handle the ball, have massive hops, and do a little of everything. I really hope he comes out becuase if we pick him, essentially we are getting a McGrady, which isn't what we wanted in the first place? Finley was in the same senerio when he came out, he went low becuase he couldn't hit from outside, he worked on it, and look at what happened. If Miles develops a outside jumper, he'll be a terror.

<center>
    Carter & McGrady vs Francis & Miles- Now who would not want to see that game?

10 10 10 10 10 = 50
    </center>
    ------------------

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by rocketsfan34 (edited April 02, 2000).]

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

During the McDonalds All-Star game, one of the broadcasters, I believe Brad Daugherty, said he just didn't think Wallace was ready to go into the NBA. I watched Rice, Miles, Wallace, and Griffin play and none stood out more than Miles did on both the offensive and defensive end. He was nothing but pure hustle and an athletic phenom. Of course I've only seen the guys play in the McDonalds game and the Nike game, so over the long run I wouldn't know who really is the best player. However, from what I've seen I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Miles with a lottery pick if no one else apparently better were there.

------------------
    &lt;this space for rent&gt;