1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Night Club Shooting. Possible Hostages Situation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketsLegend, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we may never know what motivated this man

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">“I’m the shooter. It’s me. I did it for ISIS. I did it for the Islamic State.” <a href="https://t.co/rwhgW1Snk2">https://t.co/rwhgW1Snk2</a></p>&mdash; Charles C. W. Cooke (@charlescwcooke) <a href="https://twitter.com/charlescwcooke/status/743048254372319232">June 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is an argument that he either was a radicalized Islamist or a closet homosexual but that he likely was both.

Saying he was one doesn't deny that he wasn't motivated or part of the other.

1 person likes this.
  3. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

didn't see this posted yesterday. good to get information from someone that was that close to him in the past.

yes it does.

4. craguin

craguin Member

It has been reported before from one survivor that another man was blocking an exit. I've never heard of two possible accomplices, however...

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

You do realize that ISIS didn't exist when they were carrying out their investigation of him... Right?

6. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I think we need a lot more info to determine if there was an accomplice. In these type of mass panic situations there is a lot of confusion and someone who may seem to be blocking the exit may have just been stuck due to the crush of people and is probably panicking also.

7. craguin

craguin Member

I did say "possible accomplice". There's nothing definitive.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Sorry wasn't saying you believed for certain but providing a counterpoint to the info that you posted.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You mostly heard about Al Qaeda back then but ISIS has been around since 1999. When no one decided to help the Syrian Rebels from being crushed by Bashar al-Assad they took help from the only people who would come to their aid, mostly terrorist organizations like Al Qaeda who were freed up by the US running away in Iraq so they came in and took over and what was once a secular civil war and that led to the rise of ISIS as the dominant force in the region. Also with the US running away in Iraq it gave ISIS plenty of area to claim as their own in order to strengthen their hold in the region.

10. craguin

craguin Member

CNN: Omar Mateen scouted Disney complex, Pulse, official says

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

where were the other claims made if you don't mind my asking?

12. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eh this is a large oversimplification, but not totally wrong. I think it's important not to conflate Al-Qaeda and ISIL, who are very different. I'm of the opinion that the debaathification of Iraq's government is largely responsible for the rise of ISIL. It was a horrendous strategic blunder that totally destabilized the region, crippled the Iraqi army, and created a huge power vacuum.

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I hope that you do not vote.

The correct answer is that W invading Iraq for apparently no good reason caused the rise of ISIL in Iraq.

I like to say hello to all of my D&D friends :cool: as this thread is now quickly heading there.

#293 No Worries, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2016
  14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I mean I agree with your "correct answer" too, but wanted to avoid the D&D angle.

Just commenting on the lack of detail/nuance.

15. craguin

craguin Member

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I agree with this. It doesn't mitigate the danger of mentally ill people or radical Islam to say he was both. Both are serious matters.

17. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ExIhb5GEqWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Thank you Anderson Cooper for calling out the Florida AG.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

20. craguin

craguin Member

Somebody dropped the ball here...

DHS: If you see something, say something

ABC News: Orlando Shooter Was Turned Away From Different Gun Store for Being 'Suspicious