1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Young anyone?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by delta69er, Feb 14, 2011.

1. delta69er

delta69er Member

I've noticed that Nick Young has quietly been playing some great basketball this year. He's averaging 17.6 ppg, shoots 45% from the field and 39% from three.

My question is: is this someone that yall would like to have on our Rockets team and who would yall give up to obtain him?

2. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Hes a very good scorer but honestly, I dont think he is better than Kmart, CLee, or Twill. Only problem is we have a poor coach who doesn't know how to utilize his players

3. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Did you eat paint chips as a child?

#3 tmoney1101, Feb 14, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  4. delta69er

delta69er Member

lol, repped

And ya, I actually think he's better than Kevin Martin at creating his own shot and I'd say he's better than Lee in that aspect as well. When it comes to defense, I'm not too sure but I definitely like Young's ability to create. T-Will may be better than Nick Young offensively but Young is definitely a much better jump shooter than T-Will.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nick Young is awful...

Just awful...

Awful defender, awful passer, awful rebounder, awful at running the floor, awful at everything that doesn't involve isolations, in which he is solid.

1 person likes this.
  6. delta69er

delta69er Member

So he's pretty much a Kevin Martin (except for the running the floor part and somewhat the passer part) that's good in isolations?

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He is an inferior, less efficient Kevin Martin, yes.

8. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

He's really not all that great when isolated. He's at his best when coming off screens, however he'll put the shot up no matter what. Dude is one of the biggest black holes in the league.

Do not want.

9. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

All I can do is LOL :grin: :grin:

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

How about Nick Young to the Bulls?

11. delta69er

delta69er Member

Aite, thanks for the heads up on the guy. I just noticed the numbers he was putting up and he seemed like he was a pretty good 1 on 1 player, which is what we're so sorely missing.

Anyhoo, just an idea I wanted to pitch out and see the feedback

12. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Honestly I don't see why the Wizards would trade him yet. He's young and still has potential and the Wizards aren't planning on contending any time soon.

As for his game, he doesn't take as many bad shots on account of Wall getting him open looks. Granted he still will take a 20 ft fadeaway on occasion, but I would almost call Young unselfish when compared to Andray Blatche. It was good to get Arenas away from him....bad influence.

From the last few Wizards game I've seen, his on the ball defense has improved quite a bit...definitely upped his effort. Help defense is still atrocious, but I think that's just as much of a team problem as an individual problem.

Wizards do need some tough-minded big men, though. I could definitely see them having an interest in Patterson.

Anyway, as someone already said Young isn't better than Kevin Martin.

13. sw847

sw847 Member

ya i agree with that.

I have watched a majority of wiz games this season cause of john wall and personally i feel that Young is a great scorer no doubt. but only as a scoring punch off the bench, a jason terry type of role.

i wouldn't say he is good/great at creating his own shot, I just feel that he benefits A LOT from all the attention john wall pick n roll demands. Basically because the defence is not able to help out due to the other guys on the court, he is able to score easier. not taking away anything from him, its just that he is no where near the quality starter scoring wing we are looking for. but as a bench player, he would be great.

I would definitely give up AB, Twill or Cbud for him. but what worries me is what happens if his shooting is off? What if he has an AB type of season? basically he is useless if he can't score. unlike CLee who still plays good defence even if his offense is not going.

14. AggieRocketsFan

Kevin Martin anyone?

He has quietly been playing great basketball his whole career.

15. delta69er

delta69er Member

The main reason I brought Nick Young up was because I thought he was a player who could create for himself pretty well. It's nothing against Kevin Martin, whom I love having on our team, it's just that Young's one on one abilities piqued my interest

16. Sanity2disChaos

ummmmm he is not needed or wanted on this team.....now he is a chucker!!

17. RedIsen

RedIsen Member

18. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Since you watch the Wizards regularly, answer me this: Do you think Nick Young has the ability to concentrate and play decent basketball over a long period of time? Does he take basketball serious enough? I like players that are dedicated basketball and bring a competitive instinct all 82 games. I question whether Nick Young will ever do this.

No doubt he has some offensive talent, but he displays it erratically on a bottom-feeder. Calling him an inferior version of K-Mart is too big a compliment. He seems like an inferior version of Michael Beasley without being an off-the-tracks knucklehead. I won't even comment on his defense out of kindness. At some point in his career, he might be a decent 7th/8th man on a good team.

19. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Buy high, definitely not Morey's philosophy. Won't happen.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Pretty much. He rarely drives on top of that. He's all about dribble pull-ups (15-20 ft) and other wild low-percentage shots that would make any coach on a winning team turn green.

I like A_3PO's Michael Beasley comparison. That's pretty spot-on. That or maybe a slightly less braindead (and talented) version of J.R. Smith. Either way, you should get the point.