1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Saban retires

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 10, 2024.

1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

lol @ Bama fans thinking DeMeco would be interested. There is no situation where you leave a top tier NFL situation (and the Texans are considered a good situation) to go to the NCAA unless you are forced out. While it's true that some coaches prefer college over pros, the fact of the matter is that you would rather be successful as a pro coach than as a college coach any day. Saban couldn't cut it in the NFL that's why he went back to college. Where has there ever been a coach who couldn't cut it in college therefore he goes to the NFL?

2. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Unfortunately schools don't hire 'em like the ol' gunslinger anymore

gucci888 likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Right? This is just dumb internet people being dumb.

ROCKSS likes this.
  4. Major

Major Member

[​IMG]

Nook and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

If you could leave Lubbock for *anywhere*, you'd do it, right?

MadMax, Major and mtbrays like this.
  6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ya but were there others that weren’t really, really, really ridiculously good looking?

Buck Turgidson and Major like this.
  7. gucci888

Sark’s extension looks to be done. Multiple sites reporting the leading candidates are Deboer, Norvell and current OC Rees.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Have you seen cfb coaching salaries? + You generally get the best players.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Alabama isn't some NO-BRAINER job. Saban was a 10/10 coach, Alabama is a 8.5/10 program. Do NOT @ me.

UT is the better job. USC in the BIG10 is better (although travel sucks). Ohio State is better. Michigan is better.

Even though they have great talent CURRENTLY, when all said and done, Alabama isn't TRULY a better place to be than their SEC competitors like GA, FL, etc.. it's neck-and-neck in the SEC which is why it's the best conference.

There is no scenario where someone new can go into Alabama and meet the fan's overly inflated expectations.

GOOD LUCK

arkoe, Sooty and mtbrays like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They got Deboer? Very - what have you done for me lately - hire. You're basically telling me, if this was 10years ago, they'd hire Chris Petersen. But hey, what are you gonna do? Not a ton to work with.

11. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Seems like he was their fourth call at best; Lanning stayed at Oregon while Norvell and Sark both leveraged the rumors into new deals. DeBoer is a great coach, but he's never coached in the south, much less the SEC. He'll be competing with Kirby, Sark, Kiffin, Heupel, and Brian Kelly for talent and he has no connections to that region of the country.

That said, I can't wait for the Alabama fanbase to pronounce his name on the call-in shows. "DEBOOBER AIN'T PLAYED NOBODY, PAWL."

#51 mtbrays, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    DonnyMost likes this.
  12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I wanna know how many coaches said no even behind the scenes (Demeco). Hiring DeBoer screams “we need a warm body bc they gonna pillage our team and recruits,”

also how bad do the Bama higher ups think of Kiffin that he didn’t even get a curtesy flush. lol.

Edit: just saw the DeBoer is a Jimmy Sexton client so that explains a lot.

13. Major

Major Member

Or it could be that they actually like DeBoer. I mean, he did just take a team to the national title game and has done really well everywhere he's coached.

Nook likes this.
  14. mtbrays

Supporting Member

I almost said "To be fair, hiring Peterson 10 years ago means that he's still got some of that Boise momentum" and then I realized how old I am now

15. Major

Major Member

Does it really matter if you have experience in a certain part of the country, especially in the world of NIL and transfer portals? Brian Kelly had none. Urban Meyer had none - should Florida not have gone after him? Good coaches are good coaches. Seems better to go with a guy who has never failed anywhere he's been than a retread like Lane Kiffin who got fired from his one high profile gig.

Nook, gucci888 and mtbrays like this.
  16. gucci888

Not sure why everyone is so down on DeBoer, dude is a damn good coach that took over a 4-8 program and just went 5-0 vs Lanning and Sark.

I understand the SEC recruiting angle but think it’s a bit overblown. Brian Kelly was sporting the worst southern accent I have ever heard and went on to sign the #8 class in 2024 and already off to a ridiculous 2025 start.

Edit: @Major beat me to it.

#56 gucci888, Jan 12, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2024
    Nook, MadMax, Buck Turgidson and 2 others like this.
  17. Major

Major Member

Interesting tidbit from ESPN:

Two of the other guys mentioned prominently in the Alabama coaching search, Dan Lanning and Steve Sarkisian, were a combined 0-5 against DeBoer over the past two seasons.

Washington was 4-8 the year before he took over and Texas has way more talent. Meanwhile, the UT thread is filled with complaints about Sark's decision making and Texas' preparedness/etc.

Saban didn't win just by recruiting - he won by also being an outstanding coach. It could be that that's what Alabama thinks of DeBoer.

Nook and gucci888 like this.
  18. Buck Turgidson

Sark or Ryans were never, ever, taking that job. SEC media is comical.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agree. The Era of the celebrity coach and the highest bidder is upon us

Rocket River

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

100%! The coach is more important than the program and Alabama is fortunate they had long tenures from both Bear Bryant and Saban.

I think DeBoer is an excellent coach, but Alabama's program is going to decline under his tenure because he has an impossible act to follow.