1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nick Anderson against the rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Jun 14, 2010.

Tags:
?

yes/no

1. yes

31 vote(s)
    43.7%
  2. no

40 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Was his choke job again the rockets the biggest in history of sports?

I know we have bill Buckner and that french guy, but the probability of him missing 4 free throws in a row:
    ((1 - .704)^4) * 100 = 0.767656346 %

The magic would have prob still lost, but maybe they wouldn't have got swept.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Buckner was more dramatic.

However, Nick Andersen was historic because he never recovered from that performance.

Did John Starks recover from Game 7 against the Rockets?

3. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

get a grip. not even close.

4. monster

monster Member

Do I really have to say it?

Think Houston Oilers.

1 person likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you win, it's not even close.

6. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Biggest choke job in all of sports? Not even close. Whats the probability that a top professional goalie playing in one of the biggest games of his life could mishandle a ball right into the net that most middle school goalies could probably have stopped?

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

wow i hope you're not comparing that to nick anderson... Anderson wasnt the worse, but a lot worse than that soccer game. Anderson cost them a win in the finals. Had FOUR opportunities and missed them all in a row. Not to mention he was suppose to be a decent FT shooter. England didn't even lose that game.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Starks was the sixth man of the year in '97 so yes I'd say that he recovered. His biggest problem wasn't his play, it was the fact that the Knicks drafted Alan Houston.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL. Or Rosencopter.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Bill Buckner.

DD

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Definitely the Oilers.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

2004 Yankees and 2007 Dallas Mavericks anyone? LOL. If not the worst they are my favorite chokejobs.

13. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Players generally shoot worse when they're tired, and those FT's came at the end of the game. It's also much harder to knock down critical FT's. Even harder in the playoffs. Even harder than that in the Finals...and with each miss, the pressure grows.

So it's not as unlikely as your formula suggestions...although still very rare.

14. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

see Tracy McGrady.

I actually think the Magic would've won if not for the demoralizing game 1 loss.
    we wouldnt be having conversations of Kobe as the GOAT, Orlando would have at least 4 championships, and Penny would be a HOFer.

not that Nick Anderson needs any more added guilt/stress to his life, but he
    kinda single-handedly dismantled a possible great dynasty.

15. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Nah not the biggest chokejob. Bloody hell. That's just not cricket.

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

I voted yes, but it was because of personal involvement. I put the special curse on him for those free throws. A beavis and butthead rendition that involves raising your shirt over the back of your head and making scary hands in the air while mumbling incoherently in an aggressive manner.

I feel sorry he was "in the way" at the time, seeing how it affected his entire career. I have been more careful with my powers since then... perhaps to a fault, looking at our performance of late.

17. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Look up most free throws missed in a row, I'm sure its much more than four and I'm sure it happens much more often than what happened to England.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And? You have to take into consideration the circumstances the player is in and the number of times they choke. You're generalizing the fact that he missed 4 freebies. Yes, i'm sure it happens during the season a lot, especially with poor free throw shooters. But in the closing seconds of the nba finals, to decide a game, after you already screwed up one opportunity and were basically a 70% FT shooter? He missed two, had the opportunity to re-focus and make up for what he did, and he choked AGAIN. It's very likely that goalie would take that mistake to heart and not let it happen again. Maybe he would have, but the point is we wont know because it didnt go that far, with Anderson it did. With the goalie it's more of a mistake than a choke job. Nick Anderson didn't make a mistake or have an accident, he completely and thoroughly choked.

19. caffreys_irish_ale

caffreys_irish_ale Contributing Member

Ooops I just realized that it's the history of sports. In that case I have to give it to Steve Bartman. The man had to leave the country for his own safety.

But man Nick the Brick never recovered after that game.

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Don't forget about Mike Tyson choking upwards of $400 million, by some estimates.