1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nic Batum signs with Charlotte, 5 yrs/120 M

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sew, Jul 1, 2016.

1. mig0s

mig0s Member

Look at his 2016's playoff productions and tell me that its a good deal

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The real question for Charlotte is would they be better off letting Batum leave for nothing vs. agreeing to this deal?

The obvious answer is no and that is all that matters.

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

First off, show me where I said that it was a terrible deal. I said they overpaid, as in he's not really worth the contract he received. That doesn't make it positive or negative. Overpaying for something is a relative term and up for interpretation.

Lee, Marvin, and Al are all garbage, not one of them is a different maker. For that matter, neither is Batum. He's a very good role player, and they're paying a very good roleplayer $120m. Are other roleplayers going to be making similar, sure. Again, that's why I said it's a relative term.

Also to your point that I'm going to "have trouble convincing anyone" they overpaid. No, I'm going to have trouble convincing you.

Here's the thing though, I never tried to convince you or anyone else of anything. I stated my opinion, and that's that.

Soooo, you're agreeing with me when I said they didn't have a choice.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Look, it's solid analysis, and relative to the new cap, that much money isn't CRAZY.

But relative to winning a championship, it feels like "overpaying".

Nic+Kemba+whomever on today's contracts = good value... maybe, but who cares. That's a first round exit team in the East. Int he BEST case scenario that's a second round team in the East.

Now, all signs point to Charlotte working hard ot retain Marvin Williams. Marvin Williams... they're going to be happy about their offseason because they gave Nic Batum $20+ million a year and resigned Marvin Williams? C'mon.

Batum is a GREAT all-around role player. And, absolutely, the Hornets had to pay to keep him as some other team out there likely would have given him that money. But probably some other team with more talent around him and closer to something.

As is, again its $120 million/$20+ a year for a guy that generally gets worse in the playoffs - he was horrible this year - can't really create for himself, and has basically been a 13-16 PER player for the last 4 years. And his usage was up to 21.5% last year... which is too much usage for a guy of his skill set.

I don't fault Charlotte for the signing. It's not like they were going to get anyone else. And again, someone else would have likely given him a similar annual starting salary. So in that sense, it's not "overpaying"... and in a couple of years it should be fine. But as a Hornets fan, I can't be expecting anything more than what they did this year, which is a bit dissapointing.

5. OTMax

OTMax Member

Al Jefferson & Lin are gone, Marvin might, Lee probably so not much left for the Hornets to sign. Batum made sense and is an all round guy they can try to stay competitive with. Also makes the Hornets still a place players might want to guy. Without him, you just have Kemba right now.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They had a choice and made the right one. Simple as that.

Several teams would love to have signed Batum for 5yrs/$120MM. This a win for Charlotte.

I'm also having a hard time wrapping my brain around the numbers. It's a new (salary) world order in the NBA,.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I mean...keeping him is good. But a win for Charlotte? I don't know if I'd go that far.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It does kind of seem like they operate without a real plan, though, right? How are they going to actually become a legitimate deep playoff threat.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think the Hornets will ever be a contender unless they get lucky and draft a surprise superstar (or two).

10. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

They, like Miami, are getting worse this year.

Lin, Lee and AL were key contributors for last year's playoffs run. I don't know if they even make playoff again.

11. sew

sew Member

Lin and Lee yes. Al wasn't a key contributor last year.

I like the deal. Not sure why he's getting hate, but he was more important to the Hornets than Lin was throughout the season. Playoffs were a different story, but he was injured.

12. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Nic Batum 5 yrs/120 M is considered a discount in these crazy, crazy days.

W
    T
    F