1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NHL Hockey

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BrooksBall, Mar 23, 2009.

1. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I thought I'd create a generic thread for the few hockey fans out there.

The playoffs start in a few weeks. Any hockey fans out there? If so, who's your team and who do you like to win the cup this year?

Who will win the Hart? Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Parise?

The Norris? Chara, Lidstrom, Green?

The Calder, Vezina, etc...?

2. RocketsBearFan

Scoring is down, grabbing jerseys, clutching etc is up, goalie pads are out of control. Hockey is boring now.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i think i mentioned to you before that I became a hockey fan and a Caps fan last year towards the end of the season. It's only been one year, so I don't know all the crazy awards you mentioned

but come on, how is Ovechkin not the MVP?

I'm not in tune enough yet to know all the teams and players. So I just focus on the Caps for now and their race. 1 point behind the Devils.. need to get that 2 seed to ensure home-ice if both 2 and 3 seeds advance..

4. BrooksBall

I lost interest during the lockout year but I've gotten back into it the past couple of years.

You're right, scoring is down but they are doing too much to reverse that trend since the lockout between the rule changes and the way the games are called.

I'm not sure what you mean by grabbing jerseys and clutching are up. The referees are calling everything these days to give teams more power plays and scoring opportunities. 15-20 years ago, players could do a lot more with their hands and sticks to slow down opposing players without getting penalized.

5. BrooksBall

You know I'm a long time Caps fan but Malkin is making a pretty strong case, especially now that the Penguins have reversed their course the last few weeks.

Personally, I'd still go with Ovechkin, Datsyuk or Parise over Malkin or Crosby or anybody else. The Penguins got things turned around after bringing in Kunitz and Guerin at the trade deadline. Kunitz has given them the scoring wing Crosby needed and Guerin adds much needed grit and experience.

The Caps were rumored to be the team getting Guerin but apparently their inability to move Nylander with his NMC prevented them from getting anything done.

Beyond the inconsistency on the blue line, the Caps really lack a guy that is willing to mix it up in front of the opposing goalie. That was what I was hoping the Caps would get at the deadline more than anything. There are too many holes right now on defense to get that turned around this season. Having said that, between Green and promising young talent like Alzner and Carlson, I think the Caps defense will improve a lot in the next couple of years. Varlamov or Neuvirth will replace Theodore after next season. Hopefully one of those two goalies becomes a stud.

6. RocketsBearFan

And the average goalie is like 6' 2" now. Too much size in net blocking everything when even 10 years ago, a good NHL goalie depended more on quickness and positioning. They should increase the size of the goal, IMO.

7. BrooksBall

Yup, goalies are bigger and more talented and, on top of that, their equipment takes up much more space.

I heard earlier in the season they were talking about changing the shape of the goal posts. Instead of round, they were talking about making them oval-shaped - possibly just the cross bar. I think a couple of teams practiced with a prototype and most didn't like it. I'm sure goalies hate the idea.

8. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

I was a hockey fan a few years ago... The Toronto Crappy Leafs were my team, they just sucked on a consistent level, so I walked away from the sport.....plus other things became more important to me...

I'm a casual fan now, I love the way Ovechkin plays, the only guy I would pay to watch, the NHL made a mistake trying to market Crosby instead of Ovi when they initially came into the league.

Detroit will win the cup, too deep a team. Goalie is the only position of question....though Osgood has turned it on....so its not that big of a concern.

9. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

yeah, that defense has holes.. and man, the penalties!

Also, it gets really annoying to see the Caps give up numerous breakaways (whether they score or not) while getting very few themselves in comparison. At least it seems that way..

10. BrooksBall

The Leafs have had a tough season but it was expected as they start to rebuild, right? Schenn is a good, young building block on the blue line.

I watched the Canucks-Leafs game where Sundin made his return to Toronto. It had to bite seeing him score the game winner in the SO.

#10 BrooksBall, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  11. BrooksBall

Yup, lots of lazy, stick penalties. Semin and Ovechkin are both racking up more PIMs than they ever did before and the Caps, as a whole, are right near the top of the league in minor PIMs. Semin is a tremendous talent. He actually has far more stick-handling skills than Ovechkin. If Semin becomes consistent and the Caps are able to resign him, we will have a nice top line for years to come, along with Backstrom.

As far as the breakaways (which you are absolutely right about, not sure if you saw the Kings game a few weeks ago), part of that has to do with Boudreau's system. The Caps are sort of like the Suns of the NHL ever since he took over. Most of our forwards don't backcheck well and aren't really encouraged to do so most of the time.

It also has to do with the fact that his system requires more puck moving defensemen. We may have the best in the league in Green but after that, there isn't much. The return of Pothier will help if he proves he is playoff worthy over the next few weeks and Poti is very good when he is on his game.

The rest of the D ends up looking sketchy in our run 'n gun system since they aren't great at bringing the puck out and hitting our forwards with crisp passes. They also don't recover well since they are big and lack quickness.

Beyond that, our biggest weakness has been the penalty kill. If we were even league average in that area, the Caps would be fighting for first place overall.

#11 BrooksBall, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

The Leafs can't do anything right, they suck at sucking, Schenn might be a top 4 D man, but he's no franchise player. The leafs needed Taveres....though they won too many games to be in the running.

I never liked Sundin, he was never all that good, he's no Ovi/Crosby/Thornton/Lecavalier/etc....they (Toronto market) tend to over value any decent player that plays here, mostly due to a lack of franchise players playing here.

13. BrooksBall

I hear you and I've heard the criticisms of Sundin but I always liked his game. So many Swedes are talented but soft, quiet players. Sundin is a big-bodied, skilled forward who is willing to get dirty.

I think Tavares will be a very good pro. I like what I see. Not only does he have tremendous puckhandling skills and a clear cut ability to score goals, he also has a solid build for his age. I expect a much better first year out of him than what we've seen from Stamkos this year.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

All I have to say:
    [​IMG]

15. BrooksBall

If the franchise is eventually forced to only keep one of them for cap reasons, who would you want them to keep (not who you think they will keep)?

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

lol. Good time to be a Pitt fan. Admittedly I am tired of hearing the non-hockey-town media ONLY talking about Sid the Kid. It bothers me.

I am a converted NHL fan... I've always been an NBA fan but got turned onto it by some neighbors who used to watch it all the time.

The Wild are the closest thing I have to a loyaltly, but I've bandwagoned in the past for the Stars, Sabres, 'Canes, etc...

I mostly just root against the Ducks and root for the West in a East/West matchup :p

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I should add that I'm surprised/happy to find some other NHL fans on here. It's hard to find a good NHL fan to chat with nowadays.

What's funny is Hockey forums are really elitist. I only joined ClutchFans last year after lurking for a few years. I've been a member of the Wild.com boards for about 5 years now... if you even mention the NBA over there they will criticize the sport to no end. It kind of irritates me, but I imagine that's the result of having the TWolves, Twins, and Vikings as pro sports teams. :D :D :D

18. StaticC4

StaticC4 Member

I hope anybody EXCEPT the Canucks take the cup, damn the Canucks are a joke with all this "talent" and still getting a first round exit year after year if they actually win the cup damn I'm going to hear all about it for two weeks straight :mad:

19. BrooksBall

Most diehard hockey fans tend to rip on the NBA. It's probably a jealousy thing since hockey doesn't get as much attention in America. I see that exact same elitist attitude in Caps forums. Of course, they've got the Wizards locally. I'm sure if the Wizards were doing well, they'd jump on the bandwagon.

20. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Ohhh man, I won't lie I just started following hockey the last couple years. I guess you could call me a frontrunner given my sudden interest once the Pens became good again. It's also a sport I never played so I can't speak intelligently from a financial and roster building standpoint. I would imagine they would use every method imaginable to try to keep them both in Pittsburgh. Malkin seems better to me though.