1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Turning Point] Bill O'Brien mic'd up

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, Sep 9, 2014.

1. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the punt block, did BOB push Clowney aside while he was showing him where his knee hurt?

2. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

People aren't saying he does not call any plays.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ummm, yeah, they kind of are.

If you say someone doesn't call plays, that probably means you think that they DON'T CALL PLAYS.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, he doesn't call plays, but that's not to mean he has no input or that he has nothing to do with what plays get called. He's jut not the Denny's menu type coach.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Of course. He's making the game plan. He's the one telling Godsey to run, run, run and then that they need to eventually take a shot.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And IMO that's what a great leader will do. As Patton said, "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity"

A great leader doesn't have to get bogged down in the minutiae of exactly which play to call most of the time, if they trained their people correctly, they'll pick the right one. All BOB had to do was say things like "run" or "we need to take a shot" and his guys knew what to do. Personally I like it.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Man this coach is getting a ton of love after one win. Weird.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The way I see it, he's getting credit where it's due. There's no guarantee that his philosophy will work, but it's a breath of fresh air after Kubiak.

9. Win

Win Contributing Member

Yeah, after 1 or 2 losses everyone will be calling for his head and saying 'I told you so'. I like the guy and hope he will push the team to strike now and not wait. I also thought BO'b came off well when mic'd up, but took a little exception to the after game speech. It's a minor gripe, but to tell players like AJ, Watt, Brown and others, "this is how it feels to win" is a little condescending. It's a minor gripe. they will live.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Pretty sure I heard Bailey say BOB called the offensive plays on Inside the Game this past weekend.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Very minor indeed, because the Texans have won what exactly?

12. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Prior to that win they lost 14 in a row. Seems fitting to remind everyone what it takes to win and how good winning feels.

13. Win

Win Contributing Member

More than one game as I remember ;) That's all it was.

14. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Not reading too much into it, but did y'all notice at some parts of the vid where Mallett was everywhere? He was running down the sideline with his helmet on and active in the huddles. Just making an observation..

15. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Backup QBs hold on extra points.

16. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

I would give the man a chance first.
    So far I like his professionalism and passion.
    It would be very odd indeed if this team should suddenly fall into a hole for no reason.

17. Win

Win Contributing Member

Sorry if i gave the wrong impression... I'm pulling for BO'b to pull us WAY out of a hole and think he and the staff, even with this roster can go VERY far.

18. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

on madden maybe, im 1000% sure lechler holds for the texans, like donnie jones, hartmann, and turk before him. im sure most punters around the league hold for their kickers.. im not saying backup qbs dont hold, the last qb holding the snap i can remember was romo and he even did it as a starter for a while.... mallet was not holding for bullock on extra points..

[​IMG]