1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL probing Patriots' possible use of deflated balls during AFC Championship

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tallanvor, Jan 19, 2015.

1. UTKaluman597

UTKaluman597 Contributing Member

Think you have to send a message. This is the second time they've been caught on the wrong end of the stick. Take away a first and 2nd round draft pick and fine them. For those saying it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game you are absolutely right but are missing the point entirely. One game doesn't matter, it's the fact that you bring into question the integrity of the game that people spend hard earned money to watch.

2. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

For this NFL should make an example out of NE. they should give NE a loss and have colts go to Superbowl. NE keeps on doing this. in past they have recorded other team practice. this time defalted balls. and all they loose is prob fines and draft picks. they cheat and they know they r but NFL wont know till end of the game. so they still get the win on cost of some fines and lost of draft picks. I think every team should start doing this. lol.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Taking away the 31st or 32 pick. Yup, that sure taught them the first time! :):rolleyes:

4. i3artow i3aller

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/NFLonFOX">@NFLonFOX</a> not a story. They could have played with soap for balls and beat us. Simply the better team. We have to continue to build! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BTM?src=hash">#BTM</a></p>&mdash; Dwayne Allen (@Dallen83) <a href="https://twitter.com/Dallen83/status/557793603700154369">January 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Once again....the outcome of the game is beside the point....

6. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

Right that's the reason why I am saying NFL needs to make them pay for their mistakes. not by fine them and take Picks away. bc they don't learn. I know NFL cant do that but they need to take their win away and give the win to the losing team (Colts) maybe that way they might learn something.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Vacating the win is not possible. The most draconian measure the NFL could take to affect the Super Bowl is suspending Belichick immediately.

8. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Pats should definitely be punished, but its got to be in a way that matters. Can't take wins away but there should be an asterisk next to their AFC championship win just like there should be for their Super Bowl wins.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Take away draft picks, fine, then suspend Belichick from the super bowl

10. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story...-had-inflated-footballs-afc-championship-game

They've probably been deflating footballs all season. Filthy ass ****in' cheaters.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So on a punt, which team's ball gets used?

12. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

the NFL has special footballs used for kickoffs / punts and FGs to my knowledge. They carry the balls in bags on the sidelines and recover them after every kick / FG / punt, etc.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't understand why it is that BOTH teams can't play with the same footballs on the field. Why does one team have one set and the other team another? :confused:

This is why FOOTBALL (soccer for you yanks) continues to be fair and square and the most popular of all sports in the world. :eek:

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

[​IMG]

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Here's what I propose. Harsh sanctions since its a multiple offense:

Everywhere and anywhere in the Super Bowl, put an "*" next to the Patriots. The NFL doesn't have the balls to do this, though.

Take away the entire draft for the Patriots. The NFL doesn't have the balls to do this though.

Suspend Bellichick for the Super Bowl. This is the most logical thing to do. I doubt Goodell will even have the balls to do this.

After everything this year, I believe this is the most important decision Roger Goodell will make as the commissioner, thus far.

If the Patriots are guilty, of course.

16. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Bill Bellicheat at it again.

The repetition of cheating is the only reason why the Patriots are the only team in the NFL that I root against.

The outcome of the game is irrelevant. The Patsies cheated, knowingly creating an unfair advantage. A punishment with some teeth is fitting, since the organization has obviously not learned anything from the punishments from all the other times they cheated.

17. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

There's two probable explanations:
    1) The Pats equipment mgr gave the under inflated balls to the ref and he didn't properly perform his ball test and approved them. It's up to the ref to determine if they're game ready.
    2) The ball boy deflated the balls on the sideline during the game. Belichick made him swallow the smoking gun/needle. Then had Hernandez murder him.

I'm going with scenario #1. Suspension for the ref... Belichick evil grins... The rest of America calls for congressional action and starts a #ColtsLivesMatter disobedience campaign.

18. likestohypeguy

So can anyone explain the difference between the above & this incident? Otherwise it was the officials responsibility, if trying to sneak out of spec equipment is ok so long as the officials have inspected it.

Ok I just heard on the radio, Aaron Rodgers saying the difference is overinflation vs. underinflation, that there should be a minimum required pressure, but no maximum.

19. likestohypeguy

Wait, I just heard him make both these statements. The were cut, so maybe taken out of context or something, but they seem to contradict a little...

"I like having an overinflated ball, because of my (something about the way he holds it & grip pressure)."

"There is no advantage in having an overinflated football, there is having an underinflated ball."

To me it's not about who considers what an advantage or not, especially if preferences vary, it's just whether they're within specifications, who's ultimately responsible for making sure they are, and if they're inspected pregame, what's the protocol for making them right if they fail inspection.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed

Suspension sounds about right
    Look how it worked in N. O.

Rocket River