1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL probing Patriots' possible use of deflated balls during AFC Championship

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tallanvor, Jan 19, 2015.

1. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

So the Colts notified the NFL of the under inflated ball at the end of the 2nd quarter when the score was 17-7. After halftime, presumably the officials ensured fully inflated balls were used, the Pats outscored the Colts 28-0. Even when playing pickup hoops, there's always one guy who will bounce three balls to find the "right" one. Then still whine about the ball after misses. Seems like such a losers excuse.

1 person likes this.
  2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

The officials also inspect each ball with a feel test when it comes in the game which suggests they were fine but it doesn't mean they were doctored. Just worth noting.

3. Major

Major Member

Who has used this as an excuse for the Colts losing?

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

There is no excuse, the colts coaches just plain suck when compared to BB.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

these comments are so weird. What does the outcome of the game have to do with whether or not the Patriots cheated?

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and then there are those that will cheat.. . . then claim that the cheating was not the reason they won
    but . .. at the end of the day . .. they cheated . .. they are cheater

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Nothing, just saying even if Pats did not cheat, they would still whip the colts because they have BB.

8. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

No one from the Colts explicitly stated the ball was the reason they got whooped again. But according to ESPN, Pagano and the GM notified the NFL about the balls. They did that to highlight the Pat's balls were giving them an advantage... implying that the Pats were not playing fair. A potential excuse in their pockets. My opinion. Other posters here are already concluding it as fact that Belichick deflated the balls himself.

This Pats obsession is almost as bad as those who criticize Lebron for every thing he does. Sure he's a tool, but I would love for Lebron to play for my team, Belichick to coach my team, ARod in his prime to hit for my team, and Shane to kill zombies for my group.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that the Pats would have beaten the Colts is undisputed, as is the fact that Belichick is a cheater. Cheaters cheat even when they don't need to.

10. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Belichick's motto: if you ain't cheating you ain't trying.

The colts whining only magnifies the ass whooping they got.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I love this logic: breaking the rules is okay as long as it doesn't affect the outcome of the game.

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Right?

Rocket River

13. bratna8

bratna8 Member

So are you telling me that the Patriots played with deflated balls and Colts didn't.......:rolleyes:

14. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Whoops lol <a href="http://t.co/uLxN7A5cpq">pic.twitter.com/uLxN7A5cpq</a></p>&mdash; Rob Gronkowski (@RobGronkowski) <a href="https://twitter.com/RobGronkowski/status/557394981930168320">January 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  15. theimpossibles1

hehe. deflated balls.

1 person likes this.
  16. Major

Major Member

So it's a "losers excuse" that the losers didn't actually use? It's not like they brought this up after the game. They brought it up in the middle of the game when it was competitive. Instead of bringing it up as an excuse, maybe they brought it up to get it corrected if the Pats were actually doing this?

In the NBA, if a particular player is doing something subtly dirty, and the opponent tells the ref so he can watch for it later in the game, is that setting up an excuse for losing, or is it trying to get to refs to call the game differently?

17. Remii

Remii Member

That's not a good comparison at all. LeBron has never been caught for cheating and had to pay a fine for cheating, and I don't thing any NBA team has accused him of cheating... The Patriots are habitual line steppers. Would probably still be a great team without the shenanigans but they've earned the stigma they have.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NFL has found that 11 of the Patriots footballs used in Sunday’s AFC title game were under-inflated by 2 lbs each, per league sources.</p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/557748673208401921">January 21, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NFL has no comment at this time and Patriots say they will continue to cooperate with the investigation. More on SpotrsCenter.</p>&mdash; Chris Mortensen (@mortreport) <a href="https://twitter.com/mortreport/status/557749012988952578">January 21, 2015</a></blockquote>

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Not shocked at all. Obviously they would have won the game anyways but how many times have they bent the rules in the past.

20. Major

Major Member