1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL probing Patriots' possible use of deflated balls during AFC Championship

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tallanvor, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Suspend them for the year like Peyton.

2. conquistador#11

the funny thing is some believed the patriots would never pull this.
    of course they would. of course the cameras were rolling, of course the phones are tapped. what bugs me is when the hoody complains about tampering or the reliant field being disastrous.. Only us houstonians can call out the turf monster! leave our field alone. I hope we water nrg down so it can feast on their players.

3. Mr. Space City

brady should have been suspended from the super bowl if they were willing to suspend mnarshawn lynch just for some gold cleats.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

From the report:

"the reduction in pressure of the Patriots game balls cannot be explained completely by basic scientific principles"

So therefore

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Meltzer was giving some info from the report, and apparently the equipment manager claimed the video of him ducking into a room with the balls was just to go to the bathroom. He gave details such as that he used the urinal on the wall on the right.

Problem? Bathroom had no urinals.

LOL

6. Mr. Space City

does robert kraft still want that apology? lol

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's a silly thing in the scheme of things but it does shed some light on some serious issues the NFL has, namely; policing its rules, ability to enforce its rules even when tipped off, ability to deliver punishment accurately and timely.

I don't know how Goodell keeps his job. Even if he really is good at being the commissioner , you'd think someone would make him the sacrificial lamb

8. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

Those text messages are funny to read. McNally is now a legend.

9. justtxyank

Kraft's statement basically dismissed the finds as being irrelevant and without substance. He still says nothing wrong was done and either he or Ted Wells is lying about the interviews of the equipment manager and Kraft brings up a piece of evidence (Colts balls) that was directly disputed by the report.

10. Mr. Space City

"**** tom" lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :grin:

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I knew after hearing that initial radio interview Tommy did that he was lying through his teeth. His laughing response to the question sounded so fake and staged.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12193689

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Explain.

How is it silly? It's blatant cheating.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

14. justtxyank

Man, the text messages are pretty damning and create a strong plausible argument that Tom Brady was trading gifts/memorabilia for deflating the balls and that the inflation/deflation of the ball was a regular topic of conversation, and quite honestly, extortion by the equipment manager. Threatening to inflate them up all the way if he didn't give him shoes, etc.

Would love to see Brady's texts, but alas, he refused to provide them.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i didn't say it was not cheating, but in terms or level of cheating i would say it's pretty low on the scale. I understand that 1 or 2 PSI can be advantageous at times but you got to admit it's a little funny if you take a step back from being a sports fan.

And i say all this while still hoping that they have their superbowl taken and Bill and Tom get suspended for the year.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If Brady is so great and none of this matters, why is he risking it?

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Tom Brady Sr. vehemently defends son: 'This was Framegate right from the beginning' <a href="http://t.co/VOyL5dGalr">http://t.co/VOyL5dGalr</a> via <a href="https://twitter.com/USATODAY">@usatoday</a></p>&mdash; Jim Corbett (@ByJimCorbett) <a href="https://twitter.com/ByJimCorbett/status/596037980894175232">May 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I provided on a previous page an analogy.

Basketball. Whenever possession changes the team with the ball automatically gets to use their own ball (not possible... let's use magic). We find out that the Spurs or Lakers have consistently been using a smaller ball. They've been doing so at the request of Duncan or Kobe. In exchange for gifts, etc. Is that not a crazy story that gets tons of press and really speaks to those guys careers/credentials?

I'm not an expert on football PSI. But it's obvious it has an impact. Otherwise, why they heck do it in the first place? If it's not meaningful, Brady wouldn't have been doing it. That's the part I can't get past. I get every player tries to get every edge they can get. When that edge involves cheating, you got to call it what it is. It'd be convenient to say it was stupidity and Brady was just trying to get a mental edge and physically there's no difference... but we know Brady isn't stupid. Heknew he woudl get an edge with the smaller balls. An ACTUAL advantage. That's why he did it.

Beyond that, I recall various articles when the whole thing happened talking about the Patriots fumble rates relative to the rest of the league - not on average but against every team, the Patriots were by far the best at ball safety.

19. justtxyank

There were no deflated footballs! And if there were deflated footballs, it was a naturally occurring phenomenon! And if it wasn't a naturally occurring phenomenon, no one on the Patriots had anything to do with it! And if someone on the Patriots DID have something to do with it, then Tom Brady had no knowledge of it! And if Tom Brady DID have knowledge of it then it didn't even provide an advantage! And if it DID provide an advantage then everyone was doing it! And if everyone wasn't doing it then kiss my ring and the season's started so let's all forget ok k thnx bai!

#479 justtxyank, May 6, 2015
    Last edited: May 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  20. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to justtxyank again.