1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Power Rankings - Texans #24

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 4, 2005.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/8441273

Pete Brisco
    CBS Sportsline.com Senior Writer

POWER RANKINGS
    May 3

1 New England Patriots
    The champs have actually improved in the offseason, adding key veterans like David Terrell and Duane Starks. Taking them down won't be easy.

2 Indianapolis Colts
    We know the offense will be good, and adding Marlin Jackson in the first round will help upgrade the defense.

3 Philadelphia Eagles
    A deep, talented team again looks like it will be the class of the NFC. Are there any challengers?

4 Baltimore Ravens
    This is a team we're really high on this year. If Kyle Boller can develop, watch out. The feeling here is he will.

5 Pittsburgh Steelers
    They will push for the AFC title again, and the key to getting to the Super Bowl will be the improvement of Ben Roethlisberger.

6 Atlanta Falcons
    Will Michael Vick improve his passing? If he does, they can unseat the Eagles.

7 Jacksonville Jaguars
    They were a trendy team to watch last year, but this year they are a legit playoff team. They do need to keep Fred Taylor healthy.

8 San Diego Chargers
    Was 2004 a fluke? Not likely. But they will be hard-pressed to have the same record in an improved division.

9 Denver Broncos
    It's time for Jake Plummer to take this team to a playoff victory. If not, the heat gets hotter on The Teflon Coach.

10 Minnesota Vikings
    They will miss Randy Moss, despite what they may say, but the improvement on defense may make up for that.

11 Carolina Panthers
    They've made some nice moves in the offseason, but there is still some uncertainty as to who will be the feature back. That's not good for the style of ball their coach prefers.

12 New Orleans Saints
    This is the year. It's time for this talented group to play as it did in the final four weeks last season.

13 Oakland Raiders
    Can't wait to watch all the 38-35 games this team plays. Kerry Collins to Randy Moss will be explosive.

14 New York Jets
    If Chad Pennington's shoulder is fine, they'll be competitive. If not, they'll be drafting in the top 10.

15 Buffalo Bills
    The defense will be good again, but the team's fate rests with J.P. Losman. Is he this year's Roethlisberger?

16 Kansas City Chiefs
    Once again the main question is the same: Have they done enough to help the defense?

17 Seattle Seahawks
    I don't know why, but I have a feeling they will slide some this season. They'll be competitive, but slide just a bit.

18 Green Bay Packers
    There are a lot of holes on defense, which might force Brett Favre to play like the old Favre. Is that possible?

19 St. Louis Rams
    Will push the Seahawks and the Cardinals for the NFC West title. If they don't, there will be big changes next year.

20 Arizona Cardinals
    This team starts here for now, but look for them to be higher as we move closer to the season. Watch out for this group.

21 Dallas Cowboys
    Can Drew Bledsoe take the offense a notch up from a year ago? The defense will be better with the addition of more talent.

22 New York Giants
    They will be better than a year ago, but they're still a year away from pushing the Eagles. Look out in 2006.

23 Cincinnati Bengals
    They are this year's trendy pick. The offense will be fun to watch, but the defense has to make strides for this to be a playoff team.

24 Houston Texans
    This is a huge year for this franchise in terms of making a playoff push. Have they done enough to do so?

25 Tennessee Titans
    Coach Jeff Fisher will have this team playing hard and Steve McNair makes them a threat. But they've lost so much the past couple of years.

26 Tampa Bay Buccaneers
    Carnell Williams will enliven the running game, but the line is still suspect, and is Brian Griese the long-term answer at quarterback?

27 Detroit Lions
    It's all on Joey Harrington. If he grows as a player, the Lions will be much improved. If Jeff Garcia is playing, they'll be out of it by November.

28 Washington Redskins
    The staff doesn't believe in Patrick Ramsey, yet he will be the starter at quarterback. The offensive system is also outdated. The defense might have to carry this team again.

29 Chicago Bears
    They better hope like heck that Rex Grossman is 100 percent healthy. If not, it's going to be a long year.

30 Miami Dolphins
    Nick Saban will be a heck of a coach. It just won't show for two or three years.

31 Cleveland Browns
    The last regime left behind a mess that will take time to clean up. But Phil Savage will make that happen.

32 San Francisco 49ers
    Taking Alex Smith with the first pick was a step in the right direction. Mike Nolan will turn this team around. It will just take time.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Wow, power rankings are meaningless to being with, but this one has to take the award for most irrelevant ever.

David Terrell a key veteran? Puhleeze. I stopped reading after that one. Actually, that's a lie. Minnesota should be much higher.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no kidding!! particularly in the NFL where there seems to be big change in performance from year to year.

4. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

The Cowboys should be much higher....as should the Texans....I dont think the Texans got worse than the ended up last year.

5. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I seem to recall San Diego was ranked pretty low prior to last season.

I'm praying for the payoffs.

6. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I think KC is awfully low as well

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Wow...KC: "Have they done enough to help the defense?"

If Kendrell Bell, Carlos Hall, Patrick Surtain, and Sammy Knight don't qualify as helping the defense, I don't know what does.

But yeah, these things are meaningless.

8. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

How can the the Jags, Saints, Cowgirls, Giants, and Cardinals be ahead of the Texans? The Jags didn't score a single TD against the Texans last season and IMO the other 4 teams are not better than the Texans.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I'll have a whiff of whatever mr. BRISCO is having... :rolleyes: :mad: or :(

24. 24? I mean... 24??? which way, up or down??? FREAKER. :mad:

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I don't look at the Power Rankings anymore, for any sport.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

4 overrated signings, I still don't see anyone in the division who can cover Moss, Maybe Champ can, but we saw what JP did with him last year.

12. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Derrick Johnson as well.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

by game 3- new ranking will be 12

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

24!You gotta be kidding me.We should be in the playoffs this year and he has us at 24?

15. PhiSlammaJamma

Titans should be number 1. This guy is off his rocker.

16. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Titans just signed Jason White and he will probably be their starting QB, Left Tackle and Corner by mid November.

18. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Overrated, maybe ... but still a lot better than they had last year and the past few years.

19. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

The power rating are just for fun. I like reading the comments next to the teams.

As for the Texans, why should they be rated higher? They haven't proven anything yet and i still don't see much pass protection....which equals low pass completion percetage.