1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL players in the wrong system

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by tinman, Oct 5, 2009.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's awesome that all of you guys think I'm the ring leaders of things.

I (As you think) am the ring leader of the VY brigade and hate the Texans for not drafting him.

1. WRONG. I tried to be a Texan fan during the Carr days but I still can't find any connection to them like I did with the Oilers. Sure I like VY, he's not going around town with DWIs or anything. But I'm old school, Warren Moon.

For the GARM, I have been anointed ring leader of the Tmac haters, someone even added me to Xbox live just to ask me why I don't like Tmac.

really? me? I only started to criticize him after his injury fiasco and his fans thinking he was better than Kobe and Jordan and making up false threads like "Kobe can't guard Tmac" when in the ACTUAL GAME that they say this, Kobe shuts Tmac down! I just want the Rockets to win. I'm a 99er.

So if you hate all the VY/UT fans fine. I support him cause he brought my school a championship.

so if you hate Vince Young, Vernon Maxwell, and Rick Adelman (aka The Ruler, its a much better nick name than RA) because of tinman.

than thanks. you guys prove that the pen is mightier than the sword.
    or as Wutang says it "SWORDZ"

1 person likes this.
  2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

If you're responding to moes, he said McFadden should have that type of role. Bush is a rb/wr/kr/pr. McFadden excelled at those in college and even started the craze in the Wildcat formation. I think he could benefit by being put in situations where he would run then be split wide and then return a kick and so on.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

One has a winning record as a starter, and one playoff game.

The other has never had a winning record.

Scoreboard :confused:

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

I agree but only because I don't think the media thinks to high of Tony Romo anymore. He may have been overrated at some point but not anymore.

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Nah I wasn't, I just happened to post right after Moe. I was about to post that and then I saw his post right before mines.

I think Bush is okay but I still hear a lot of complaining from Saints fans and some former USC fans that follow him. With the Saints passing attack you would think he would flourish in that system. Actually last year he was leading the NFL before he got injured but he hasn't been the same since then.

6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This is probably a better analysis of Romo. He's a great QB, most teams in the NFL would love to have him. I actually think he has a lot of room to improve and get better, but I think it actually kind of hurts you when your management considers the season a failure unless you win a Super Bowl whether its a legit expectation or not.

Again, time will tell. Anyways, its hard to not be good when you're 27-12 as a starter and have thrown 85 TDs in those 39 games.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I would fire Fisher for the way he handled the VY situation if the Titans don't rebound this year.

I'll basically repost what I stated in the weekly NFL thread:

Kerry Collins had very little to do with the Titans' success last year. VY was 8-5 as a rookie and won ROY award. In his second year, VY takes the Titans to the playoffs. In his third season, VY gets hurt in the first game, is replaced by Collins and the team goes 13-3. VY never gets a shot to regain his starting spot. Collins is old and has no chance in hell at guiding a team to a Super Bowl championship. Collins has the 24th best passer rating in the NFL. The Titans have a top three defense in the league and give up the second least amount of points on the year. In the process, VY's confidence seems to be destroyed and you've sacrificed a huge financial investment and a high draft pick for KERRY COLLINS. With VY at QB, the 2008 Titans could have done just as well with VY if not better.

Now, in 2009, your defense starts to struggle and you're stuck with an elderly QB that had little to do with your success in the first place.

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

I keep hearing people say Kerry Collins has very little to do with the success the Titans had last year. Well couldn't you say the same about Vince Young when he was starting? Throwing more interceptions than touchdowns definitely isn't what I call leading a team.

At this point it looks like Kerry Collins and Vince Young are not right options for that team. We know Kerry Collins isn't the future but I doubt Young is neither so they should definitely draft a QB in next years draft or sign a good one.

9. Lil Pun

TRADE FOR VICK!

;)

10. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I guess my general point was this: Would you rather have a young QB that has the potential to get better or a guy that is clearly at the end of his career? I'd take the young guy, especially when you've invested millions of dollars and a top three draft pick on him. I didn't go to UT and go to a school that hates the Horns as much as any school does. I'm just saying, from a practical standpoint, I don't understand why you'd bench a guy that had been a winner in his first two seasons for a guy that was very limited and at the end of his career.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hate this has turned into a pseudo vy thread but oh well. folks, its been four games for the Titans, collins was good for the titans last year, he cut down on his turnovers, that's what got vy benched more than anything. when you have their running game and defense (last season), you just need to take care of the ball. kerry got benched in 06 because he turned the ball over, not because they were losing. now he's back at it, if continues vy will have to play.

12. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Fluke? I have no idea what the hell you are asking me.

They were a playoff team for 4 years before 2003. Gruden came in there and changed the way they did things. He is obsessed with football and every aspect of football. Then he goes out and gets Rich Gannon, who is just as meticulous and a hardcore perfectionist and you've got a couple of scholars of the game who put together a great west-coast passing offense with the ageless wonders Jerry Rice and Tim Brown. Gruden is running things smoothly, he immediately made them a better team. His football philosophy is cutting-edge, new and fresh... the exact opposite of "Get Fast Guy! Fast Guy Run Fast! Throw Ball down field to Fast Guy! thought process of the almost completely senile Al Davis.

They had a team who was short on physical talent and athletic ability , but was filled with gritty veterans who knew the game of football better than anyone else. Guys who were studs 3 or 4 years ago and were said to be "past their primes" came to Oakland and seemed to be dipping into a fountain of youth. Eric Allen, Rod Woodson, Andre Rison, Tyrone Wheatley, Lincoln Kennedy, Jerry Freaking Rice. The list goes on and on.

That team was awesome. Charles Woodson and Eric Allen were arguably the best CB tandem in the AFC, but the thing nobody remembers how good the Raiders were on the ground back then. You check the stats and you'll see how balanced that offense really was. Tyrone Wheatley and Napoleon Kaufman (eventually replaced with Charlie Garner) were a great 1-2 punch and the Raiders had one of the best running games in the business. Zack Crockett was unstoppable in short yardage situations.

Of course Gruden is rising star and Davis is getting a little tired of the way he's running things... because he's doing too well. Getting himself all the glory, I mean Gruden was a freaking God in Oakland and everyone was in love with the dude.

So Al in his infinite wisdom decides to risk taking a big chance and sells Gruden to Tampa Bay for draft picks and cash, hoping Bill Callahan can just pretend like he's running the system when all he's doing is following the Gruden handbook and letting Gannon do his thing. He didn't too bad either, until the Bucs clawed their way into the Super Bowl.

Jesus H, Rich Gannon was on fire that season. His abilities pre-snap were better than Peyton Manning's that year. He was masterful that season, just ridiculously accurate. 4600 yards passing, NFL MVP season. He was playing awe-inspired ball.

Then we get to play Tampa Bay. That was a joke of a game. In the back of my mind, I'm thinking... ok Callahan you have to know you're going to have to come up some sort of actual gameplan right? I mean here Gruden built that entire system from the ground up, and in 60 minutes he basically destroyed the Oakland Raiders franchise for the next __ years. They'll probably eventually label it "The Curse of Chucky" or some ****. Gruden ran the scout team offense that entire 2 week period leading up the game and basically showed the cover 2 guys everything Rich Gannon would do. It wasn't even close. Gannon was mind****ed out there after the Bucs jumped out to an early lead. They completely abandoned the run, and the Bucs D was too good. Brooks, Barber, Sapp, Lynch and Simeon Rice all in the prime of their careers. That defense didn't even need an advantage to win, but they got one anyway.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ummm...well....one actually plays and is a one of the best in the leagues at his position... :confused:

And since when do they keep winning records for DEs?

but MB is right. Overzealous VY nuthuggers ruined Vince for a lot of people. I was a huge fan of his and still think he can be good, but i also have my feet on the ground and understand that he's been bad.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lol isn't a rumor that the Dolphins are interested in Vick?

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

I actually agree with you that they might as well bench Kerry Collins for Vince Young at this point, I was just saying I think the last few years they have been winning because of that defense/running game and not who is behind center at QB. Last year Collins was perfect for them because he was a game manager but obviously you might as well go ahead and start Vince Young just to see what you have at this point.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We know we know.

:)

DD

17. Lil Pun

That's one of the teams he is probably headed to next year. The teams I think Vick has a shot to go to next year are the following (no specific order):

Washington
    Minnesota (if Favre is done after this season)
    Carolina
    Tampa Bay
    Seattle
    St. Louis
    Miami
    Jacksonville
    Denver
    Oakland

I know he won't be in Philly because he has a $6 million salary coming next year if they keep him.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It just seems silly to say scoreboard, when that is actually where VY has the advantage.

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Please stop talking about VY.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

hey DonkeyMagic,

am I the ringleader of the VY 'nuthuggers'?
    So who are these people? According to Master Baiter it's me.

Where am I posting that VY is going to be Peyton Manning or Johnny Unitas?

I support the guy, I hope he does well, too bad he can't play in his hometown in front of alot of smart educated people who went to the biggest university in the state, but oh well.

Sometimes I feel like Vernon Maxwell, I think I get blamed for all this stuff because of my personality.