1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Free Agency

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Jeez so much I want to touch on in this thread. Lets start here.

Absolutely Haynesworth was the right move to make. The Redskins had a good defense but it was fools gold. They were one of the worst teams in getting pressure on the QB, which led to the CB's getting next to no interceptions and having to hold their coverage longer. They played solid D, but gave up alot of long passes, which were almost always back breakers.

I think they actually need to go another route with the QB. Cambell just doesn't have it. He is skiddish in the pocket, hasn't thrown for more than 13 TD's, has a cannon arm that he can't connect with, and has a hard time with his checkdowns. Then they need to look for a real #1 receiver. Moss just isn't THE MAN anymore.

What is with the Eagles every year? Its like, they win, but they could be so much more if they finally just went out and got them their prize receiver. They did it one year and almost won the SB. Its like they hardly ever make any moves, though BW is a nice player, he just isn't the every down, ram it down your throat, hold the lead guy. If the Eagles ever figured out that they really were just a few good receivers and a dominating RB away from being dominant, it would of been scary how much they could of won.

OK time to shorten up.

TJ to Seattle...meh, it means nothing. Look at his YPC stats over the last 5 years. It won't be better in Seattle.

Jay Cutler. Yes he is being a douche, but pretty douche move by the Broncs too.

Cassel. A product of the system. At very high end he pulls the Trent Green story. What more than likely happens is absolutely nothing.

Jason Taylor cut. The best move the Skins could of made, considering he played lazy, unispired ball for almost 9 million on the Cap. Now the Skins have a nice chunk of change to play with.

Short of the 9ers throwing a massive amount of money Warners way (which probably won't happen) Warner is staying in Arizona, where Bouldin and Fitzgerald make him so much better.

And as for Dawkins. On the tail end of being very old. Especially for a Defensive Back. Quick. Name me the one great DB that remained elite, or even great after 36. I can think only of Darrell Green at the moment.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Rod Woodson was still pretty damn good in his golden years as a safety.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

This is one of the most active NFL free agency periods I can remember.... moes, agree?

4. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

apparently cincinnati is going for the #1 pick next year. franchise a kicker and let TJ go...brilliant.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

It is d@mned if you do, d@mned if you don't type of move. They needed someone who could be solid up the middle, stopping the run, and getting sacks. He was probably the best youngest defensive franchise player on the market.

6. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Rod Woodson = most complete CB ever (yes Deion is the best cover CB)

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Certainly, there is a lot of bargaining going on in addition to the free agency, teams are setting up deals for the draft based on who they can acquire now. Plus there seems to be a lot more drama going on, what with the whole Cutler fiasco in Denver, Cassel going to KC in what some have called a "brother in law" deal. Brandon Marshall gets arrested again, and now you've got this unfortunate situation with the 2 guys lost at sea... NFL has certainly dominated the headlines for the past week.

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Every female around the DC area loved Jason Taylor. I knew guys who had girlfriends who never payed attention to the Skins until Jason Taylor arrived.

While I don't think losing him is that huge of a blow to the Skins considering that he was injured a lot and only hand about 3 big plays all of last season, I don't think they're really going to play with the money. I don't know of any great DE's left out there and I believe the Skins are up against the cap, so the money may probably be used just to sign their draft picks.

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i really wanted the texans to go after him. he's gonna have a breakout year.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

If by upgrade you mean downgrade, then yeah, he'd be a decent one. :p

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Ward would have been nice, but the Bucs can offer a starting job. They do need to sort out their QB situation though.

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

The Eagles traded Greg Lewis and a draft pick in next year's draft to New England for a draft pick in this year's draft. That gives the Eagles a total of 12 draft picks in April.

13. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Not to derail this thread, but sorry Ron Woodson isn't even top two CBs of his era. Deion, and Green were far superior.

Deion gets his due for all his brilliance, for his ability to make a big play anytime he picked a pass, or returned a fumble. For his complete lockdown presence. But he was absolutely one of the worst CB's I ever had to watch at making a tackle which should be a large part of his game too.

Green was the equivilant to Deion in pass coverage ability. Before Deion did it, Green was shutting down half the field without all the accolades. Where he falls short of Deion was his ability to turn a INT into something big almost anytime. Where he suprassed Deion was that he was a rock in tackling any back coming out of the backfield even 1 on 1.

Ron was a great player, and deserves his mention, but he is nowhere near the lockdown CB these two were.

14. OlajuwonShake34

Just to add an update, Terrell Owens just signed with the Buffalo Bills. :D

15. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Did any of you guys notice during the press conference that it seemed almost as if Owens face was saying "Damn. Really Im going to play for Buffalo?"

To me his words spoke mostly of Dallas, and I didn't see one excited emotion or hear one word praising Buffalo. I meant thats pretty standard stuff when you sign with a team.