1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Draft 2015] Houston Texans Select Jaelen Strong - 70th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, May 1, 2015.

?

How do you like Jaelen Strong?

1. Total steal

129 vote(s)
    89.0%
  2. Injury concerns

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Shouldve gone a different direction

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Remii

Remii Member

IMO the Texans should have stayed were they were at and drafted Sammie Coates seeing how they wanted a receiver. I think they got a little too smart for their own good with trading up to get Strong. Heck, Strong may would have still been on the board if the Texans would have stayed still... Just like last year when they moved up to draft players that would have more than likely still been on the board.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Excuse me... I meant where they were at.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Firings of GMs also happen.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Maybe...maybe not. If Strong was their guy and okay with the price of moving up, tough to sit back and gamble that he will make it through the next 12 picks. Easy for fans to say whether to stay put or move up but we don't have the information behind the scenes.

Hell we were 1 spot away from the opportunity to draft Bridgewater last year. No idea whether we would have actually taken him if available but do you stay put since we know the Seahawks didn't need a QB or move up that 1 spot?

5. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

almost makes you wonder if they learned a lesson last year and still had that bad taste in their mouth.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's much more likely that they simply didn't want him despite the rabid fanbase. The Texans have always shown a willingness to trade up for players they actually want. If they really wanted Alex Smith anywhere near as badly as his crazed fanbase, they'd have moved up for him in the mid 20's. Honestly, it would have been a lot better if the Texans would have had the opportunity to pass on him again so this conversation doesn't happen.

7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Let's be honest, it is their job to make difficult decisions and it is our job to second-guess them. They obviously thought Strong and McKinney were worth the picks and players traded away for them. I disagree but if I was in their shoes I can't guarantee that I wouldn't make the same decision. But since I'm not in their shoes, I'm going to second-guess and disagree :). 4th and 5th round picks are not invaluable. For instance, if Kwon Alexander or Jake Ryan become very productive players that could have helped the team; you have to take that in to consideration when judging the draft. In the 5th, they could have had Jesse James or Stefon Diggs. That's why they get a bad grade on the draft, because of their picks on day 3.

8. Mr. Clutch

We traded up for Nix, so who are we to second-guess.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yup, when they want someone, they don't hesitate to trade up.....now only time will tell if the guys they traded up for are worth a damn. I was pretty against trading up for Nix because he doesn't have knees, but we'll see how it plays out.

10. Remii

Remii Member

I can't answer that question because "I don't believe" O'Brien wanted Teddy in the 1st place. I think Blake and Savage were the guys he coveted and he was able to get one of them.

My point on Strong is I don't believe he was worth trading up for when there were still just as good or better receiver options still available like Sammie Coates. Pittsburgh ended up drafting Coates and they've got a pretty good track record with receivers so we'll eventually find out if Strong was actually worth trading up for.

11. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

12. Mr. Clutch

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't trade up to pick a player we didn't want? They sure didn't.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Bobby the great strikes again. No one is safe. No one!...as long as you're talking about Andre Johnson or Bridgewater.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No one likes a whiner, be better.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL whiner? good one.

17. Mr. Clutch

http://www.scout.com/nfl/texans/story/1553162-houston-texans-otas-qbs-front-and-center

There is Always One Rookie Who Struggles

This is a common occurrence when the draft class arrives and this year the focus is on Jaelen Strong and him getting through his early rookie bumps in the road. Strong has been slowed by his conditioning, and while it started during rookie mini-camp, his conditioning issues carried into OTAs. With a minor setback, Strong has been working to get back on the field.

Until Strong gets into football shape, it will be an upward climb for the rookie. The clock is ticking especially with the offense looking for answers at the wide receiver position, but it is tough to make a difference on the sideline. There is a long way to go but Strong has to get healthy before getting an accurate read on his ability on the football field.​

18. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

if you are serious, being in shape/conditioning is not a question. not good at all for Strong but it happens to every team with players being drafted. hopefully that shiz is temporary

19. Mr. Clutch

Seriously tho how'd he get out of shape?

What's he been doing?

20. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Dwight Howard is sitting right above me at the game, keeping hangongnover the edge of his suite