1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Draft 2015] Houston Texans Select Jaelen Strong - 70th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, May 1, 2015.

?

How do you like Jaelen Strong?

1. Total steal

129 vote(s)
    89.0%
  2. Injury concerns

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Shouldve gone a different direction

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

a 3rd, a 5th a 6th and a 3rd from three years ago.

not just a third

I don't know what BoB's problem was with DP but this dude better work out.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You're right, it was actually 40, not 50.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...re-johnson-laughed-at-not-starting-for-texans

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The guy can play and catch everything. I was surprised he ran a 4.4 40 because he never seemed that fast in the games I saw him. But I think his size, physicality and Ability to make tough catches will be valuable.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

He had a.poor catch ratio on targets

Highlights of tough catches doesn't mean he can catch everything.

With that said, the reports in his work ethic and desire to get better are very encouraging as that is something you can never account for on tape.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Go back and look at some of the WR draftees from the 12,13, and 13 drafts. There people with similar high production but worse physical skills like Devante Parker or Marqise Lee drafted at the top of the second, as well as physical mutants with no record of production drafted at the same spot or even higher, guys like Cordarelle Patterson or Justin Hunter.

When I look at the 1st, second, and third rounders from those drafts, it appears tof me that Strong belongs at the very top of the second. Again, very subjecitive, but hat appears to be where he'd fit in more of an "aaverage" WR draft.

Certainly, if you offered me Cordarelle Patterson for Jaelen Strong straight up,I'd laugh in your face.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm with you. I like the pick, I don't necessarily like what they paid for it. Devier Posey by himself should have been worth a 6th rounder. That 5th rounder they lost cold have been Brett Hundley or Rashad Greene

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Could have been...but most likely would not have been.

Quality over quantity, every day of the week.

Strong is going to make us forget about all the Alan Bonners, Nick Mondeks, and Shelley Smiths of the world.

You dont give up on a prospect you are confident about in order to add a couple extra Brice McCains to the roster.

And no way any team would have given us a 6th for Posey...Zac Stacy went for a 7th round pick.

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Not saying Strong was a bad pick, just wondering if they overpaid for him. I understand he was the last of the really good WRs left in the draft.

Along with the Alan Bonners and Nick Mondeks are Ryan Griffin, James Casey, Derek Newton, TJ Yates, etc. 5th and 6th round picks aren't a waste, or the Jets wouldn't have made the deal. You need those players for depth and special teams.

Zac Stacy requested a trade. That kinda brought his trade value down.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They gave up very little of value for him though. By far the most valuable thing they gave up was a 5th rounder, Posey was just trading a player they planned on cutting very similar to how they traded Case Keenum.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think Bob has plans to use him creatively.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/04/22/cff-player-profile-jaelen-strong-wr/

Overview and Stats

Despite missing some time during the season due to a concussion, Strong still had one of the best years of any receiver in this draft class. His 1,168 yards were the ninth-most of any player at the position in this draft class, while his CFF receiving grade was the sixth-highest. He also finished 12th in terms of Yards Per Route Run, averaging 2.71 YPRR from his 431 routes run in 2014.

What’s interesting with Strong, especially given his size and style of play, is that you can make the case that we was at his best from the slot, averaging 4.06 YPRR against teams from the Power Five conferences, the highest average of all draft eligible receivers. He doesn’t possess the quickness that you’d expect, but does meet the criteria of a “big slot” receiver in the same way that a player like Anquan Boldin does in the NFL. Here’s how that stacked up against the rest of this class:

[​IMG]

The Tape

So we know that Strong is a productive receiver who had an impressive college career as a Sun Devil, but what does the tape show us? He’s a player that seems to have divided opinion, but one thing that is clear from the tape is that when he wants to, Strong is a very good receiver when it comes to winning the ball at the catch point. There were times when he didn’t do this consistently, but the talent to do it is definitely there.

That’s something that will make him very appealing to a lot of teams especially those with a quarterback who is at his best when he throws the ball where the receiver can go up and win it. Joe Flacco and the Baltimore Ravens, where many mock drafts have Strong landing, would fit that bill, with the Ravens lacking that sort of player since they traded away Boldin.

There are two areas where Strong struggles, and that keeps him from being mentioned with Amari Cooper, Kevin White and Devante Parker in the discussion for the top receiver in this class. The first is getting off of the jam by a cornerback in press coverage.

He’s a physical receiver, so to watch him fail to get off against the press was a bit baffling, and when he did beat it, it was normally because of his footwork as opposed to outmuscling the defensive back. This is something that can be worked on, and given his ability to go up and win the ball when he is covered tightly, an improvement in this part of his game would increase his chances of developing as a star receiver in the NFL.

The second is his route running. Similarly to his struggles against press coverage, Strong costs himself space with some poor route running which at times just looks a little bit lazy. Where you’d like to see him plant his foot and go, he takes a step or two to break down, allowing the defensive back to close.

What’s impressive, though, and what I think gives Strong the potential to be a very successful receiver in the NFL, is that both of these things are fixable. If I’m a general manager and I’ve got the faith that my wide receivers coach can tidy up his route running and teach him to do a better job of beating press coverage, I know I’m getting a guy who’s an impressive athlete who can go up and win the ball when he needs to, but has the potential to develop into a really good all-around receiver, with the versatility to be a factor on the outside and in the slot.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I didn't have to watch highlights or rely on some stats that I looked up. I'm basing my opinion off a couple games I watched him play. And in those games the guy made impressive grabs with guys all over him. Maybe it was a good day for him but he certainly showed ability

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you Houston for believing in me.</p>&mdash; Strizzy (@JaelenStrong) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaelenStrong/status/594550415619969024">May 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    Reportedly chose #11 to remind him 10 WRs were drafted ahead of him. If he's truly a hard worker who strives to get better, I like that he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder. That's often a potent combination.

13. Hey Now!

And that remains Andre Johnson's side of the story; BOB has never confirmed (nor denied) the number. I continue to believe BOB was less definitive and that we're getting a filtered version of what was said via an understandably irked Andre Johnson.

14. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Maybe the problem was that Posey just wasn't that good.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

It was a little hard to believe at first, but I don't feel like I have a compelling reason to doubt him now.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The point is that he's a biased party and he could be telling part of the truth without the whole truth. For example, if BOB said that Andre would be getting a reduced role and should only expect 40 or 50 catches....then Dre says that BOB told him he'd get 40 catches it wouldn't be lying, but it wouldn't be the full truth either.

Either way, it doesn't really matter because IMO the Texans are in a better position now than they would have been keeping Dre along for the last year or so of his career. I don't think any team would guarantee Dre the 100 or so targets required to ensure that he had more than 50 receptions.

17. Hey Now!

What bobby said + while he's mostly been a good soldier... we absolutely have a lineage of Andre Johnson being upset with the Texans, which seemd to escalate toward the end of the 2013 season, fed a vocal offseason (mini) revolt which was then followed by a somewhat lackadasical season (by his standards). If BOB told him, "I can't guanratee you more than 40-60 catches next year," I don't think it's a big leap for signs-with-the-Colts Andre Johnson to hear - and report - the 40 number.

FWIW, my big takeaway: as much as I think BOB likely has a preference (ie feature the TE) - if he's evolving and redeploying based on best-available talent, as opposed to adhereing to a rigid system, talent be damned - that's a good thing.

I think Belicheck is a quiet advocate of Moneyball - find a weakness, exploit it. Teams were signing all these CBs to deal with multiple-WR sets, so he builds an offense around athletic TEs no team has the personnel to cover. Maybe BOB sees a similiar shift he can exploit and this idea of him being married to a system is totally baseless?

I don't know... he seems really smart, adaptable..... and wholly unpredictable. All good things.

18. justtxyank

Well considering he has stated, repeatedly, that his so called system is really all about being "multiple" and featuring a "gameplan offense" I think you are probably about right. BOB doesn't run a Kubiak type deal where he has a system that he will run out there every week ideally.

Not saying one is inherently better than the other, it's just different. Kubiak believed in his "I know what we do well and that's what we will do. You have to stop us." Lots of sports people like that mindset. BOB seems to be more strategic in "Let me figure out what we can do well that you can't stop and exploit that."

19. Hey Now!

While I mostly agree, I do think there's one notable difference: when you run a system-based offense, you are beholden to your personnel performing. As we saw with Schaub's implosion, the system can't evolve and provide too many plan Bs if the individual parts are failing.

If "battlefight" was the Kubiak mantra, I think "flexibility" will be BOB's. He wants to be able to react and attack, read and evolve. Like you said, one isn't necessarily better (those reports of the league figuring out Kubiak's system proved unfounded) - but it'll be fun watching the Texans change each week to ride their hot hand.

20. justtxyank

I think there are examples of both methods being successful, but I for one am glad to see a different philosophy. I've come to like OBrien the more I've listened to him.

The problem I have with system offenses is that it *seems* that if a team frustrates your system everything can fall apart with a major snowball effect.