1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Draft 2015] Houston Texans Select Jaelen Strong - 70th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, May 1, 2015.

?

How do you like Jaelen Strong?

1. Total steal

129 vote(s)
    89.0%
  2. Injury concerns

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Shouldve gone a different direction

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Fair enough. Don't disagree, just saying 3rd may be a bit high for that return

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Johnson's fastest time was 4.42 Strong's was 4.44....is that "significantly faster"? Also, if you pay attention to the comment you are responding to, I was talking about measureables, not route running.....and hand concerns? By all accounts he has very strong, very reliable hands.

As to Johnson having 25 pounds on him at the combine, sure, but Strong is taller and has a lot of room to add bulk. My point is that they are both big possession receivers, obviously not the same quality, but the same type. Strong is a bit taller, Dre was a bit heavier, they ran about the same speed, Strong jumps a bit higher. Again, the measurables are very similar.

I simply can't see the reason to bash this pick in the 3rd round even if they had to give up a draft bust and a 5th rounder to get him.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This is a great pick! Most ppl had him 4th-5th best wr in the draft.

4. Mr. Clutch

Andre ran sub 4.40.

I see strong listed as 6'2 vs 6'3 for Andre.

"He's not perfect about catching the ball with his hands instead of his body"- bobby the great

Third is not a low round.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Andre most certainly had hand concerns....

That was his biggest knock that I remember.

He also measured at 6'2" at the combine, I believe. Maybe 6'17/8". Can't remember for sure.

Not trying to compare the two. Just pointing out facts. One was taken third overall and one fell to the third. There's reasons.

#85 Two Sandwiches, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Andre ran 4.41 at the combine according to everywhere I've seen he also was more like 6'2

Turns out I was wrong, Strong also was taped at 6'2, he's just listed as taller....much like Dre.

Saying he's not perfect when it comes to catching passes with his hands means that he still sometimes let's the ball get in on his body, a common bad habit of college kids. I was saying that while he's not perfect, he catches the ball with his hands a lot more than the average kid coming out of college.

7. Mr. Clutch

Johnson was timed at between 4.42-4.48, according to three scouts, in his first 40-yard dash. On the second, he ran between 4.37-4.40, scouts said. He also recorded a 41-inch vertical jump, a long jump of 10-feet, 9-inches, and a time of about 4.10 seconds in the short shuttle drill.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/columnist?id=1519382

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was only trying to compare their measurables and style, there's no question that Andre is a future HOFer and Strong almost certainly won't measure up to that.....that said, a lesser quality Andre Johnson is a solid pick for a 3rd rounder.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Okay, but you are comparing unofficial numbers from stopwatches to the official numbers at the combine, the number most people went with for him was either 4.40 or 4.41 meaning there isn't much of a difference.

Also, Strong topped his 41 inch vertical jump with his 42 inch vertical jump....the point is athletically there isn't much of a difference.

Of course saying that doesn't mean he's the same caliber of player, but I'm just trying to show that he's the same size and athletically very similar along with playing a very similar style of WR.

I think he'll fit in very well and should be productive from day one.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hmmm could mean we got a steal correct. Dude is going to be a beast.

11. Mr. Clutch

Texans also preferred Lockett

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

HOUSTON!!!!!!!

— Strizzy (@JaelenStrong) May 2, 2015

Shoot idk what's going on either lol

— Strizzy (@JaelenStrong) May 2, 2015

Per ESPNStatsInfo</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/JaelenStrong">JaelenStrong had 16 receptions of 20 yards or longer in 2014, 2nd-most in the Pac-12. #Texans

— Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) May 2, 2015

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Two years. 2,287 yards. 17 TDs. 157 catches. 88 ypg. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TooStrong?src=hash">#TooStrong</a></p>&mdash; Sun Devil Football (@FootballASU) <a href="https://twitter.com/FootballASU/status/594295941697441792">May 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Thank you Houston for believing in me.</p>&mdash; Strizzy (@JaelenStrong) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaelenStrong/status/594550415619969024">May 2, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

14. Win

Win Contributing Member

Cool! I'm a believer!

15. Summer Song Giver

Internet argument aside, we got the kid 1.5-2 rounds later than most had projected and didn't, and I liked what I saw from posey when he played, have to give up much.

At worst we came away with three solid second round guys in the first three rounds.

16. Remii

Remii Member

"Combine speed" and "game speed" are two totally different things... If that's the case why not compare his 40 time to Jerry Rice if you're looking for reasons to feel better about the pick. A lot of these dudes put in a lot of work practicing on running the 40 before the combine but that doesn't mean it will translate to the field and unlike AJ, Strong's "combine 40 time" doesn't match his game tape coming out of college.

But that doesn't mean he can't be a good and or productive receiver.

17. Remii

Remii Member

How many years are left on Nuk's contract...?

18. RocketFire

RocketFire Member

If you have an hour to kill, than watch the breakdown of film. You will learn that we definitely got a steal at 3rd. His route running will improve once he realizes in practice that he can't just get by people anymore and will need to run crisp routes. So that can be coached, what can't be coached is getting ball at its high point.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UxRvC2MhLKs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It seems like he should be a red zone threat that they haven't had. Good catching fades over the shoulder, good adjusting to the ball in the air, good at leaping and fighting to pull the ball out of the air with the physicality to rip contested balls away from DB's.

AJ seemed like he should have been a red zone threat as physical as he was, but he just wasn't. If so, that should add something significant that the Texans haven't had in recent years.

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I've looked at some his highlights and he shown great speed. I don't understand why people are arguing anyways. Lol The youngsta has potential, good pick up by the Texans Remii.