1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Draft 2015] Houston Texans Select Jaelen Strong - 70th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, May 1, 2015.

?

How do you like Jaelen Strong?

1. Total steal

129 vote(s)
    89.0%
  2. Injury concerns

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Shouldve gone a different direction

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's slow and a bad route runner.

He's big and can catch in traffic and in the redzone.

We traded up to get him after he dropped.

His ceiling is WR2.

Feeling a bit underwhelmed.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You shouldn't, his floor is WR3, route running is something that can be coached and he's got a reputation as a hard worker, he's not slow he's just not quick.....I mean he's got straight line 4.4 speed, he is a very versatile receiver which is what the team is looking for. it's a very solid pick, especially for the 3rd round and we didn't really give up anything of value to trade up for him....the most valuable thing we traded for him was our own 3rd rounder.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm in the "We don't know what a BOB offense is" boat.

The guy called the shots with the Patriots for a bit, but wasn't controlling the personnel. He just went with what he had.

Then he goes to Penn State and only has a year, so he goes with what he had.

Then he come here, and well....you get the point.

The guy has admitted that he loves strategy. He loves the strategy of the game. Obviously, he's willing to blend and use what he has. But at the same time, we've never really seen him build his own. He's a defensive guy (from when he played), and knows that a good defense is the back bone of a team. Good on him for building that up. As far as offense goes, I guarantee you he knows what he wants, and if he wanted Strong to the point to where he traded up to get him, good for him. I support it.

This enables us to move Shorts to slot, where I think he will excel. Nate Washington can be your fourth guy, or second slot receiver. Keyshawn Martin can go prance around in Denver. I don't see us taking another receiver, although I'd like it. I'm fine with the tight ends, too. They're young and good enough.

I'm drinking the kool aid. Oh yeah.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

BoB has preached versatility from Day 1. I think he's all about getting the best players you can and scheming to take advantage of their strengths. If he has a preference for a more rigid set of personnel, we don't really have a good sample size to say what that is.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

sentiment on reddit is this guy has been the steal of the draft so far

6. Mr. Clutch

WR3 floor isn't exactly what you look for in a third round pick

We gave up a 5th rounder as well.

7. Mr. Clutch

Agreed, but how versatile is he? He's not a burner and doesn't play the slot

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's a really high floor and the guy has upside to be a low end WR1 if he improves his route running....which he should. Also, since he's used to creating space with his body instead of his speed or route running prowess, and while he's not perfect about catching with his hands rather than his body, he catches with his hands a lot meaning he can probably be effective from day 1. All in all pretty good.

You're not expecting him to be Larry Fitzgerald when you pick him in the 3rd.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Maybe he was just coming up with the best plays for the players he had at NE. I'll bet you he had little say in who the team brought in. When you have Gronk and then a no-good WR2, you're going to call plays for Gronk as much as you can. Now he has the chance to pick his own apples instead of making lemonade. Everybody loves Apple pie.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I question how much of his tape you've watched if you haven't seen him playing all over the field in just about every role a WR could have.

11. Airdough

Airdough Member

I don't think in year 2 of BOB we can figure his offensive preference especially the amount of offensive transfigurations the Pats have gone through. He will adapt to the talent he has at his disposal and that he can acquire.

Drafting Strong just gives him another big WR who can fight for the ball on the outside. If anything, Strong would be a better fit for a chucker like Mallett than Hoyer. If Strong pans out, then the Texans receiving corps is all but set.

The Texans are flexible enough in the same game now to go 5 wide run and shoot glory days, run power formation all game, or a traditional pro set using the tight end (although I am not enamored with the talent on the roster they can be serviceable). The offseason moves thus far point to creating a deep and talented defense with a versatile offense that will change its stripes on a weekly basis because it has the capability to do many things well but none of them great.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

A WR3 floor for a 3rd rounder isn't bad. That means worst case scenario, he at least plays regularly. As opposed to Posey, the last receiver we took in the 3rd round.

13. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

"He doesnt play in the slot"

Ummmm 36 percent of his yards were from the slot.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Also, when it comes to playing in the slot, Strong had the highest yards per route run from the slot in all of college football last season. He also had very similar measurables to Andre Johnson at the combine....not that he will ever be that good, but he's the same style of possession receiver.

15. Mr. Clutch

He's slow on tape, if you've watched. Thats fine for NCAA but not NFL, at least I don't think. Could be wrong.

16. Mr. Clutch

That's a Jacoby type player

17. Mr. Clutch

What the heck is a low end WR1?

So he has the possibility of being a crappy first option WR1 if we have no one else? I guess that's good.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Not when he's not reliant on speed to get separation, also, if you watched his tape you'd see that he was always having to slow down and wait on passes from his QB. I get that he's something of a long strider, but the kid isn't slow. Also, better route running is something that can be taught and by all accounts the kid is a notably hard worker.

I'm not predicting greatness for the kid, but he should develop into a super solid WR2 and endzone threat.

19. Mr. Clutch

Andre was significantly faster and didn't have route running or hand concerns. He also has about 25 pounds on him

20. Mr. Clutch

If he can play a lot of slot at the NFL level the pick makes more sense