1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Draft 2015] Houston Texans Select Jaelen Strong - 70th overall

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sugrlndkid, May 1, 2015.

?

How do you like Jaelen Strong?

1. Total steal

129 vote(s)
    89.0%
  2. Injury concerns

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  3. Shouldve gone a different direction

12 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Even with trading away Posey, this seems like an odd choice. BOB's offenses never feature WR2.. So the final verdict will depend on whether we give him the ball or not. If we plan to feature him as a top 3 option in the offense, then I understand. If he languishes under 50 catches for 3 years waiting to be WR1, then I'd say it was a mistake.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Guys I love the pick. I wanted him in the first but this is 10x better. I watched him in college and I THINK he'll be awesome with Hopkins.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Which one of Andre or deandre do you think weren't featured last year?

4. orosiriley

orosiriley Member

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think it's too early to be saying "BOB's offenses". We really don't know what type of offense he likes. How much decision-making did he have at NE; I doubt he had a major say in personnel matters. He had one year to recruit at Penn State. I don't think we know what he wants out of his offense yet except for what he tells the media.

6. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Not counting this year, we have 3 years of him running an offense.

In all 3 of those years, the hierarchy in the pass game has been WR1>TE1>TE2>WR2>RB1.

Just going by the tale of the tape.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's no way of knowing, but he did call the plays for them, so I'd bet his opinion was respected while there......but you're right, it's hard to know his exact leanings already.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well that certainly wasn't the case last year with the Texans, it was WR1, WR2, RB1, Slot WR, TE1

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I watched every asu game last year, I never saw any weaknesses, he looked like Andre out there. Honestly in my 8 years of watching ASU football he was the first player I thought was a game changer. Only concern is his ability to recover from his recent injury. I wanted him at 16, I think he's a star.

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

So far in BOB's career, having two prominent WRs has been the exception, not the rule.

If he's featured (and produces...) great, if not, you have to wonder what the reasoning was here.

Is this TE class so watered down that we're just not bothering, perhaps?

Maybe Graham and Griffin aren't on the outs as much as most thought?

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He was taken in the 3rd round. Not like they used a 1st on him.

12. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

The Texans weren't exactly equipped to make many changes to that hierarchy, either. We gave the ball to our most talented guys, no doubt. I just wonder what their long-term plan is here.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

It wasn't quite so simple. They traded Devier Posey, and the 82nd, 152nd, and 229th overall picks to get Strong.

Not earth shattering, but not inconsequential, either.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think the long term plan is to have as many options as possible, you already have Nuk Hopkins as a WR1, now you have a legit WR2 option, you have CJ Fiedorowicz coming on to take the TE1 spot, and there will be a battle for the slot job. You also have one of the better receiving RB's in the game. So far the main trend I've seen with BOB is that he values having options and versatile players, adding another WR that can do a lot of different things for you be it running in the slot, outside, bubble screens, or being an end zone threat sounds exactly like something he'd want.

15. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Another thought-- During the Andre divorce, BOB was said to have asked AJ to take a reduced role and expect, at most, 50 catches. This falls in line with BOB's prior offensive distributions. If BOB is willing to put Andre in that position, there should be little doubt he'd be willing to put Strong in that role.

To that end, I should probably step back my reaction. 50 catches a year isn't anything to scoff at for a 3rd rounder (even if we did give up a little extra to get him). If he starts dipping into the low 40s/high 30s, then it's cause for concern.

I do think anyone expecting this to be the next Fitzgerald/Boldin combo need to walk those expectations back a little bit, though.

16. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Agreed. Plus, from DeAndre's perspective, he sees a guy coming in here that is getting some hype and lofty comparisons to take over for Dre one day by the media, and it's only going to motivate DeAndre to elevate his own game even further and prove he is the true #1. Friendly competition is always welcomed.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Strong is a poor man's Kelvin Benjamin. He's going to go up and get the ball, but his piss-poor route running shows a lackadaisical approach to his craft. Still, its never a bad thing to have a guy who go up and snag the ball even while covered.

18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TuUfKmriBxw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think we ever heard anyone say "50 at most", I think part of the 50 catches talk was based on a reduced number of targets, reduced to somewhere around 80 to 100 which could lead to Dre only getting 50 catches given his ever diminishing catch rate. 80 or 90 targets would be in line with what I'd expect Strong to see this season.

20. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I like it but I'm concerned since 90% like the pick too..