1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL]Clarett Released!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I am so happy right now! :)

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2145372

Updated: Aug. 28, 2005, 7:14 PM ET
    Broncos to release Maurice Clarett
    By John Clayton
    ESPN.com

Maurice Clarett's gamble for the big dollars in the NFL failed for a second time. The Denver Broncos informed Clarett on Sunday that he is being released.

Mike Shanahan surprised the league by using a third-round draft choice on the former Ohio State running back in the final selection of the round. The Broncos coach thought he had the cutback style of running that fit in one of the league's best running systems.

As it turned out, Shanahan made a mistake and didn't want to waste time admitting it. With Tuesday's deadline for cutting the roster to 65 looming, Clarett, who never made the field in three preseason games, was let go.

Clarett first gambled that he could beat the NFL in court after applying despite not being three years out of high school. The case failed and Clarett had to sit out and wait until the 2005 season to get his chance to turn pro.

Clarett's second gamble was on his contract. He felt he was a first-round choice and wanted a contract similar to what a first-rounder would receive. To accomplish that, he tried to do get that contract with incentives. The four-year deal he pushed for included no signing bonus.

The Broncos were willing to give him a $410,000 signing bonus, but Clarett opted to push that money into workout bonuses in 2006 through 2008. Clarett agreed to only a $230,000 base salary in 2005. If he put up good numbers, Clarett had the opportunity to make $7 million over the four years of his contract.

By releasing him, the Broncos won't take any cap hit. It also appears unlikely that they would sign him to their practice squad, although that remains an option if Shanahan is interested.

For the moment, the Broncos are three deep in halfbacks. Mike Anderson is expected to be the opening day starter. Tatum Bell should be the backup, and Shanahan likes what he sees from former Giants No. 1 pick Ron Dayne.

Despite his failure in Denver, Clarett should receive some interest from other teams although it is likely teams may not want to claim his four-year contract. There is a 24-hour waiver claim period that begins Monday when he goes on the league waiver wire. If he is cleared by Tuesday at 4 p.m., Clarett is eligible to sign with any team in the league.

2. micah1j

micah1j Member

Good for him ;)

3. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

The Steelers may give him a shot. The problem is they are very no nonsense and won't put up with his character problems very long. The veterans on that team could give him a pretty rough time. He may end up in the CFL.

This guy really messed himself up.

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

maybe now he's learned that no one's bigger than the game they've never played in...in this case, the NFL.

5. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

GOOD riddance! :D

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

I hate it when I'm right. :)

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

A dark day for the NFL.

8. drapg

drapg Member

So the guy had no guaranteed money in his contract, and walks away without a dime?

Wow. Just wow.

9. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Preachin' to the choir! :)

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What a moron. This guy loses against the system, goes to the combine out of shape as hell, gets luckily drafted in the 3rd round, and then wants 1st Round money?

Haha, I don't see anything this kid offers that is worth taking the gamble.

11. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Haha, I thought about you, Nugs. I am wondering if there was ANY Broncos fan that was in favor of us having Clarett in the first place.

The sad thing, though, is if it hadn't been for the emergence of Ron Dayne, I could see Mike keeping Maurice around. I thought I would never see myself so happy to have an ex-Giant on the team in my life but thank you Mr. Ron Dayne for being there! :D

12. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

I never thought I'd see Ron Dayne and emergence in the same sentence.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Okay, who's the guy with the predictive Clarett stats in his signature?

I bet he gets on somewhere else. Afterall, he's been out of football for 3 years-- gotta be rusty.

I can't believe that he didn't even play in the pre-season.

14. a-rock

a-rock Member

still a tough decision to release someone you picked in the 3rd (!) round a couple of months ago!

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

What an idiot...You always take the up-front money...

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Clarett is the Roy Muson of the NFL.

17. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

That was Clemens' finest movie role.

18. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I have a sad feeling my Raiders 3rd string RB is getting worried.

19. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

damn this boy is greedy

20. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

Ok, it's been all day - I'll say it: Man, we should really pick him up!

Carry on.