1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL Cinema] Will Smith & Gugu Mbatha-Raw's 'Concussion'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Nov 5, 2015.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I read this is almost a fluff piece and not as hard hitting against the NFL as it should be.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IoFfevstFmo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

League of Denial documentary for PBS is much more hard hitting than this will be.

3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Gugu Mbatha-Raw is the sexiest woman alive right now.

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Just watched this movie, its crazy that this isn't getting more attention. Until this movie I had never heard of CTE. This should be something every parent, football player and fan should be aware of. I can't imagine any parent being okay with putting their children in this sport while knowing in depth about the probability of their child obtaining a brain disease.

It makes me think all my family members who push their kids from such a early age to play football...

5. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

I don't know -- outside of just not giving a rat's ass or the usual fantasy/gambling aspect (selfish AF) -- how anyone with half a brain could continue to watch and support the NFL following 2011 or so.

Seriously, how do you guys live with yourselves?

6. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

The lead role in this, Dr. Amalu, is the county medical examiner in my home county. I always knew him from that, and not his work on concussions in the NFL.

7. hlcc

hlcc Member

like J Sizzle mentioned, you should watch the PBS Frontline episode League of Denial (you can watch it from the PBS website or from the PBS app)

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

CTE doesnt kill, Suicides kill.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

You know what's also crazy, this isn't just football. Its boxing, rugby, mma, hockey, even the fake wwe wrestling(Chris Benoit, Test)... Then you have to think about things like skiing, skateboarding where people fall on their heads all the time.

Pretty nuts... but its obvious, its not okay for people to repetitively get hit in the head, not matter what sport or activity. Im ashamed to never have been alarmed by the idea of many of our sports are centered around a fundamental problem which is causing damage to people's brains.

...On another note, I'm glad I fell in love with basketball and not football. I understand for football fans it would be pretty hard to drop the sport for its flaw.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

They need to play the commercials during the superbowl.

11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Your moral and internet outrage is impressive.

I watch MMA, boxing, jiujitsu, and other combat sports/martial arts. I hope you are as equally outraged about hockey, rugby, and headers in soccer as well.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't mean to pick on you, but how could you have never heard of CTE? Are you a football fan? If you aren't then I understand.

13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Not at all. Still, I am into health, and live and Houston surrounded by friends and family who are football fans...

Will Smith said in a interview he also had no idea of CTE until he was approached with the role offer. He also stated he was a huge football fan and had his son in football for 4 years prior.

14. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Thank God for this movie or I would never have thought that a game where you have to wear helmets because of all the violent head to head collisions could cause head problems.

I'm looking forward to the next movie from Will Smith titled "Tommy", where they reveal to the entire world that people who repeat the same violent high speed throwing motion with their arm tend to get arm problems.

1 person likes this.
  15. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

None of those except for boxing causes the same issues as football.You are getting smacked in the head on almost every play in football.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in other sports, but 96 percent of former NFL players tested had CTE. It's not a matter of if, but when. Honestly, I don't care if adults choose to do it, but people should be informed when making these decision. Kids on the other hand, there should be a minimum age before they play full contact football. There is no way in hell I'm letting my kid play football.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/a...-nfl-players-test-positive-for-brain-disease/

18. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

19. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I think it's getting a lot of attention.

I don't know many parents who let their kids play football, or who will

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Would be funny if Will Smith gets the best actor oscar ahead of Leo Decaprio in Revenant.