1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Carroll to become Seattle head coach

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by J.R., Jan 8, 2010.

1. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

bwhwahahahaha awesome news

2. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Carroll - you will FAAAAIIIILLLLLLL!!!

[​IMG]

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Very good move for Pete Carroll. Bad decision by the Seahawks.

4. Major

Major Member

Unless there are major sanctions, I'm not sure it's a good move for Carroll. With the way college coaching salaries are going these days, it's probably not much of a pay increase (if at all), and he had lifetime job security at USC, whereas he's likely to be unemployed in 3-4 years in the NFL.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Assuming USC gets one of the replacements off their wish list (I really like Fisher*, although Riley probably makes the most sense), this could end up being good for both sides. Carroll was so unremarkable his first time around as an NFL coach I could see him wanting to reprove himself. For all we know, he may just want to live in Seattle. And I'm thinking he's probably already made a mint at SoCal. It's good to have options.

*Would Jeff Fisher be the first coach in Oiler history to step down instead of getting fired? :eek: :eek:

6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I don't think fisher's act would fly in LA. Unless the ncaa brings down the hammer I don't understand why carroll leaves. They are the pro team of la. He can get any player wants andd I am sure the trojans will give him a higher salary.

7. KePoW

KePoW Contributing Member

Pete is making $4.4 million at USC.

$7 million is a *significant* increase over that.

8. Major

Major Member

Wow - I didn't realize he got $7MM. Everything I have seen says terms haven't been disclosed yet, so I figured in the $4-$5MM range at best. That kind of salary makes sense for Shanahan or Gruden or someone like that. Not a guy who's had limited NFL success though. :confused:

9. KePoW

Well if they're paying him to also do the GM duties, then it's not that bad for the team owners... cause you're not having to pay a separate GM.

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Fisher in the mix?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/09/fisher-in-the-mix-for-usc-job/

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

My buddy follows college football pretty religiously and seems to think this is the case. All the same, sanctions or not, it's arguably the best job in college football. Definitely gonna be tough to leave behind to flop in the NFL....again.

....or the whole $4.4M vs. $7M thing could have something to do with it too!

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The only reason I could see for Carroll to make this move is he is disgusted with spending hours a day making earnest phone calls to 17 year old prima donnas. I would hate that.

But the NCAA is probably about to lower the boom.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Its SC, I mean how hard could it be to get a kid to go there?

14. KePoW

Well before Pete was there, it certainly wasn't the recruiting darling that it is now... nowhere close.

So if you take logic into account, wouldn't you say that has something to do with what Pete did and worked to accomplish?

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As a Cal fan this could be great news.

16. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Me's a thinking that USC would want their next head coach to have NFL ties like Carroll so hopefully there is no consideration for Sumlin.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I like Sumlin but he's not even close to being a candidate for the job IMO.

18. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Pete's job security would be questionable if the NCAA penalized SC. Tim Floyd already got ran off. Pete made SC - he or their boosters may have cheated. SC blew balls for a decade plus prior to Carroll.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Well Fisher is out of the mix and a Lee Corso "not so fast!" happened. Carroll supposed to meet again with Seahawks Sunday or Monday(though a deal is eventually supposed to happen)