1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Neyer: (Astros) are the best team in the division.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by deepellumrocket, Jul 23, 2003.

1. deepellumrocket

http://msn.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/neyer_rob/1584461.html

He does qualify it by saying "if everybody's healthy". But hey, we're all healthy right now. :)

Here's the paragraph about the 'Stros:

You know what's interesting about the Astros? Future Hall of Famer Craig Biggio is just their sixth-best hitter ... and Jeff Bagwell is just fifth-best. Which tells us 1) that Biggio and Bagwell are over the hill and 2) that the Astros have some damn good young hitters. The only true weakness in the lineup is Brad Ausmus, whose numbers -- .278 on-base percentage, .263 slugging percentage -- are awful even for a good defensive catcher. But Bags and Bidge love Ausmus, so he's not going anywhere. The bullpen is outstanding, and if you remove Wade Miller's nightmarish April, the rotation is about as good as anybody's. It's not that the Astros are perfect -- their 55-45 record says otherwise -- but if everybody's healthy they're the best team in the division.

Also, he doesn't think the Astros need to make any trades right now and I almost agree with him. Another starter would be nice if we didn't have to give up too much, but I'm not too concerned with that unless Villone or Redding start to really struggle in the next few weeks.

Oh, we also need a righthand stick off the bench bigger than Brian Hunter's. Time for him to go.

2. BALLhog 247 365

yea i do agree...dont fix it if it aint broke...but if something happens after the dealine, i guess we can make some waiver-trades. a move id like to see though, kirk saarloos being sent down to triple a, and call up brandon sessions, who was the triple a player of the month and had 0.26 era.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree...i wouldn't trade for a pitcher, either. RM95 was dead on yesterday when he said that. With Robertson and Villone pitching like they're pitching, I don't see a trade worth making...if there were better pitchers to be had, I would think different...but it's slim pickings.

4. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

This is like the 100th Rob Neyer column in the past 5 years that gives the Stros props. He always finds something nice to say about us.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you! :D

5. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

i really like how this astros team is developing. but we will go nowhere if oswalt and miller aren't dominating like they should. those 2 are our only chance at doing anything in the playoffs. i have no clue what is wrong with miller, but he has got to turn it around for us to have a chance. other than that our bullpen is great and i think we have some great clutch hitters.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's the only ESPN columnist to ever predict the Astros making it to the World Series, let alone winning at least one playoff series.

7. BALLhog 247 365

i think jeff brantley was the one that predicted the astros to win the world series this year

8. Timing

Timing Member

We win 10 of 12 or whatever, break open a 4 game lead, Matt Morris is out for a few weeks, Mark Prior and Corey Patterson are on the DL, and now all of a sudden we're the best team in the division. Imagine that? lol The legend of Neyer grows.

9. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Yeah, it's all good timing, Timing.

10. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Werd... I love Neyer. He picked us to win the World Series a couple of years ago.