1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Next years' team may not be so diff.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jan 21, 2000.

1. vince

vince Member

What makes this win streak so much fun is that this is preseason to the rockets. Can they overcome the huge hole they are in? Even if they can, they would face super team in the playoffs (Lakers, Spurs, Trail blazers, or Jazz). All these teams are solid from the #1 guy to the #12 guy at the end of the bench. Sure the rockets are solid too, but not with the fire power to match those teams.

So, next year is in the works. Who stays and who leaves the Rockets.

Your rocket starters!!!!!!!!

C-Hakeem
    pf-Cato
    Sf-'00 draftee selection
    sg-Anderson
    pg-francis

Backups
    c and pf-Thomas, Massenburg, Miller
    sf-Williams, Rogers
    Sg-Mobley
    pg-Drew

so, out is Bullard(headed to broadcast booth)

Your saying, "hehehehehehe, no way is the 10-14th pick the starting SF for the '00-'01 rocket team". You may be right, but the Rockets do have a couple of picks to move up a couple of spots if desired. For example, giving the 10-14th pick and the Detroit pick or some 2nd rounders for the 5,6, or 7th pick.

The crop of SF is loaded, there will be some gems coming out of this draft. A SF picked in the late first round may end up being one of the top players in the draft. Wits by Rudy and the Coaching staff are needed to get the starting SF for the Rockets.

2. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

I'm thinking Massenburg is pretty much gone as well.

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

There is nothing wrong with the current Rockets team. They can compete against any of the teams you mention, including the Fakers. all they've needed was some time together, a few trials by fire, which they have been getting. Rudy is an outstanding coach, which he is proving all over again. He is the reason this is happening. Does anyone really believe that just throwing Stevie Franchise into a team would result in the kind of cohesion we are now witnessing ? I think Phil Jackson shows also the importance of coaching and leadership. It's no wonder players everywhere want to come here. Rudy should be the coach of the year if this keeps up. Next year, if they stay healthy, this team will be very dangerous.

4. Rocket420

Rocket420 Member

Ok....here's my two cents. Our offense is
    starting to click. We are running more set plays, making that extra pass to get to the open shooter. Have you noticed our scoring has gone WAYYY UP??? Well here is what we need to work on. DEFENSE. Part of it has to do with a weak front line. Too many easy layups. But since Dream has been back, even with the limited minutes I have noticed blocks, but more importantly he makes people change shots, increasing the chance of a blown layup(which has also been something I have noticed in the last 3 games.) I think once dream gets into his flow, we will be even better defensively.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

We have a superior bench to Lakers, SA and Utah, not to mention nearly every team in the NBA.

look at our bench assuming no injuries:
    Cato or Dream
    Mobley
    Thomas or Rogers
    Drew
    Pig
    TMass
    #10-14th pick

We also have the ability to have an outstanding defensive/rebounding team next year.

Haven, your comparison had nothing to say about bench or defense. Let's be a little more positive about our team's chances next year.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited January 21, 2000).]

6. Greg M

Greg M Member

Unless the rookie is on par in talent with Francis, he needs to earn his starting role like KT. Los deserves the starting 3 job. It's his to loose IMHO.

7. haven

haven Member

The laker's bench isn't bad. Fox and Harper are both decent players. Contrary to popular belief, I don't think that depth has too much to do with winning... although I know I'm fairly alone in that. I feel that most teams need ONE really good player off the bench, and a decent back up pg, and they're fine.

Defense... yes. But I don't think our defense is that good. Francis is getting licked on defense... I know he makes sensational plays, but look at how many points opposing pg's are rattling off. I hope that Cato will reinforce our defense.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The importance of depth is in the regular season where it is a detremining factor in playoff seeding. Playoff seeding has a lot to do (in most years) with how far the team can go into the playoffs.

Of course, if the team wants to be the NBA champions, they better be prepared to beat all other playoff teams, reguardless of seeding.

BTW, if I were the Lakers as the first seed in the West, I would not be real happy to play against the Rockets as the eigth seed, since to get there the Rockets would have to be on an unbelievable tear.

Go Rockets!

9. haven

haven Member

Uhhh... compete against the Lakers? Let's see a hypothetical mathch-up.

Francis v Fisher ---> Francis wins easily.
    Anderson/Mobley vs Bryant ---- Bryant wins.
    Rice vs Williams ------> Rice wins easily
    Horry/Green vs Thomas/Rogers -----> toss up
    Cato/Hakeem vs O'Neill Lakers win easily.
    Rudy vs Phil ----> Rudy's good, but Phil's great.

Those lineups simply don't compare. Besides, does anyone REALLY believe that Houston can defeat LA consistently?

10. vince

vince Member

add Leon Smith to that equation!!!!

11. jscmedia

Haven said :Those lineups simply don't compare. Besides, does anyone REALLY believe that Houston can defeat LA consistently?

Actually, beating a team "consistantly" isn't needed in the NBA. Beating a team 3 out of five, or 4 out of seven does a fine job. That's around only 60% of the time.

Point ? With seasoning, 2000/2001 Rockets will be a talented, deep team with hunger for success,speed and athleticism.
    Add those talents to Rudy's PROVEN ability for superior coaching and strategic game plans in playoff and pressure
    (elimination games)situations, supports my contention.

12. heypartner

Don't tell me bench is not a determining factor!!

It all depends what your bench philosophy is. If your team can manage diversifying offenses depending on who's on the floor, the bench is a tremendous asset.

The Rockets have the ability to go large and defensive, and quick and athletic. Because of Francis, both sets can be fast break teams. Here:

the Hakeem set can focus on defense.
    the mobley/cato set can focus on speed and athleticism. There are different rotations to accomplish this, so lets not get in a side talk on rotations

My point is: with two diversifying rotations, you can wreck havoc in the terms of mismatches.

This classic case is the entire '80s. Every title winner in that decade had two sets. The fo-fo-fo 76ers are the best example, imo.

13. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I know I should know this, but could anyone tell me if teams are allowed their full twelve man roster for the playoffs? For some reason, I remember teams having to trim down their playoff roster before the playoff... like to ten guys or something. Moreover, I don't remember recent playoff teams using more than an 8 or 9 man rotation in the playoffs.

My opinion on the Rockets vs. the Lakers: I don't see that we match up any better with them this year compared to last year. O'Neal will still kill us - I don't know how the Rox will be able overcome him in the next decade. We had Pippen defending Bryant last year, and now we have Anderson - you can't really call that an improvement. The two weaknesses I see on the Lakers are at the point guard and power forward positions. Last season, Barkley slaughtered their power forwards, and we lost. This season and in the future, Francis may slaughter their point guards, but chances are O'Neal will toast Cato or Olajuwan worse. Maybe we should draft the Big Continent in the second round to take Two Sandwiches' place as designated Shaq banger?

14. jscmedia

oakdogg, Cato/Healthy Hakeem axis can cause havoc for Diesel, IMO. Add Rogers and the Incredible play of Kenny Thomas, and you've got some strength and energy with experience in four players. I believe this group can hold it's own, and Francis/Mobley are becoming unstoppable.

15. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

jcsmedia,

I hope you're right. I still don't know if Cato has the strength or the bulk to lock up with Shaq. I know Thomas doesn't in addition to his obvious height disadvantage. Hakeem didn't fare too well last year in the playoffs either. Though I may not be the most optimistic, I still believe we always have a chance. Hell, we had Horry bangin with Malone and Barkley in '95 and still won!

By the way, I answered my own relatively dumb question regarding the playoff rosters. They do consist of a full twelve men.

16. heypartner

about 8-9 man rotations:

that's all it takes to create to different style on one team.

With Francis and Shandon showing they can play 40+ minutes, you just rotate 3-4 games in around them to create different sets.

bringing in mobley/cato is much different than having walt/dream in there. you can also go: rogers/mobley/sa/sf with a pick-em big man to produce probably the fastest set. I think our bench is a tremendous asset in the 2nd quarter and late 3rd.